Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft $100 Build a Logo Contest

minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By minecraftwb

**UPDATE**

First prize has been upped to $100!

Hey guys! 

I just wanted to say thank you for your interest in our $100 Dollar Minecraft Contest! I know some of you have questions concerning the rules and what you have to actually build. 

First of all you can post in any of the Minecraft game modes found here. All that matters is that you design the logo completely in any of the Minecraft game modes with no extra editing in Photoshop or 3D programs. 

Lastly, we want you to design our logo. That's all nothing more nothing less. You can build it any way you wish, the more elaborate and cool it looks the more your fellow community members will probably want to vote for you.  Here is the logo:

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!  Also we have plenty of addonstexture packs, skins plus more on the site so feel free to browse around 
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By BunkerBuster

Sounds like you could just Photoshop something like that and not have to worry about dealing with MInecraft's building system. Either way it sounds like a lot of people will be getting their logo on.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @BunkerBuster said:
    " I'm pretty sure graphic designers get paid tens of thousands of dollars to make a logo. With all the money he's getting you think he could sweeten the pot a little. "
    That would ruin the idea of minecraft. Its not some big time project. Its one dude with an idea. This is allowing up and coming designers to get noticed. 
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By B0nd07
    @BunkerBuster: The contest is to build the logo in-game.
    edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By edtwo

is this spam?

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @The_Laughing_Man:  I though it was the game designer but it's a third party fan site so I changed my statement.
    minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By minecraftwb

@Bunkerbuster you cannot edit your submission in Photoshop or any other 3rd party program, the logo is strictly to be built within Minecraft alone.
     Sorry, we are not trying to spam. Just trying to get the word out for a free-to-enter contest for you creative builders. If you have any questions EdTwo let us know.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Driadon
    @EdTwo said:
    " is this spam? "
    I'd say it is, as it's someone trying to bring attention to their community site via a contest and actually has no direct connection to Mojang or Notch. 
    minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By minecraftwb
    @Driadon said:

" @EdTwo said:

" is this spam? "
    I'd say it is, as it's someone trying to bring attention to their community site via a contest and actually has no direct connection to Mojang or Notch.  "
    It is not our intention to spam relentlessly without merit. We would however like to offer the chance for Minecraft players to conceptualize, create, and vote for a winner. The voting will be done by fellow Minecraft community members and not us, there is no charge for registering or entering. I hope this clarifies your concerns, if you have any questions about the contest please let us know.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Ryax
    @minecraftwb: its intention not attention 
    minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By minecraftwb
    @Ryax said:

" @minecraftwb: its intention not attention  "

Thanks, that'll teach me for typing before I think haha :)
    edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By edtwo
    @minecraftwb said:
    " @Driadon said:

" @EdTwo said:

" is this spam? "
    I'd say it is, as it's someone trying to bring attention to their community site via a contest and actually has no direct connection to Mojang or Notch.  "
    It is not our intention to spam relentlessly without merit. We would however like to offer the chance for Minecraft players to conceptualize, create, and vote for a winner. The voting will be done by fellow Minecraft community members and not us, there is no charge for registering or entering. I hope this clarifies your concerns, if you have any questions about the contest please let us know. "
    alright, I was just asking.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FunExplosions
    @minecraftwb said:
    "                       
    Lastly, we want you to design our logo. Here is the logo:

"
    Wait, what? So... we're just modifying that logo. That one right there? No disrespect intended. I'm just confused.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I've never seen the staff frown upon contests, so I'm sure there is no problem with this. 

I still haven't played Minecraft. I want to wait until it is "complete" so I experience it in its full glory from the beginning. With the stuff I've read though, it is really tempting to try now.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero

These directions are pretty....vague? OP seems like some rich teenager with some money to spare to spend on someone making a logo for his third party website.

minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By minecraftwb
    @FunExplosions said:

" @minecraftwb said:

"                       
    Lastly, we want you to design our logo. Here is the logo:

"
    Wait, what? So... we're just modifying that logo. That one right there? No disrespect intended. I'm just confused. "
    For more clarification please see:   http://minecraftwb.com/index.php/community/contests

Contest Rules:

• You must be a registered member of the MineCraft WorkBench community to enter.  Registration is free so sign up here!
    • Each entry submission must be accompanied by supporting screenshots and or videos.  (The more the better as it will give the judges the best view of your creation to judge from)
    • Everything must be built in-game!  Any entry with "photoshoped" additions will be immediately disqualified.
    • You may use any texture set publicly or privately available, so choose wisely.
    • The contest will begin on October 1st, 2010 and end at midnight on October 31st, 2010.  Keep in mind that the sooner you get your entry in, the more time there will be for people to vote on it.  You could turn in your entry on Oct. 31st, but we do not recommend it...  You will want to give people time to vote!
    • Votes will be tallied, winners will be posted and prizes will be sent out on November 1st, 2010.  (As well as Novembers contest being announced.)

Judging Criteria:

Each entry for the MineCraft WorkBench "Rebuild our Logo" contest will be judged on 5 points of criteria:

• Accuracy - How faithfully did they reproduce the main aspects of our logo.
    • Complexity - How detailed did they get with their design.
    • Creativity - How creatively did they extend the design of the logo. (This could be anything from surrounding setting, to actual changes / additions to the logo).
    • Enginuity - Overall judgement on the architecture, and structure of the design.  
    • Size - Yes, regardless of what they tell you, on the MineCraft WorkBench, size DOES matter!

Users will rate each criteria point on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the lowest, and the winners will be calculated based on their overall score.  In the event of a tie, the MineCraft WorkBench staff will then place their own votes, to decide the winner.  Aside from the event of a tie, the MineCraft WorkBench staff will not participate in the voting.

We will open the contest entry submission area on Monday October 4th, 2010 and post a direct link to it in the contest section.  Good luck MineCrafters, the prize awaits to be claimed! 

So yes, @ FunExplosions   that is the logo you need to make to enter the contest.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

I wonder if I could craft a mod to lock this spam thread.

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks
    @Axxol: hah. that was cute
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Baillie

Why are you guys throwing around $100 to a site that isn't even worth that much?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By habster3
    @EdTwo said:
    "is this spam? "
    It's advertising (Same thing according to the rules).
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CowMuffins

Nice Workbench cutout from in-game and some crappy text font applied to it that you got off DAFONT.

x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By x_XJules

lol, $100. That's not what logos cost.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By h0lgr

So, the challenge is to build the already designed logo in Minecraft? 
    How could you get creative with this?

minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By minecraftwb
    @Origina1Penguin: You should really check out the game! Right now you get locked in at the $10 Euro price tag and for what you get it's pretty impressive. When the game hits beta it will be 10 euro more. I can't tell you how many big AAA games I have purchased in the past couple months that were such a let down. My suggestion would be to look at some youtube videos about the game to get a better idea of what it has to offer. 
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By thebeast

You guys don't need to be so defensive against 'spam' - it's not a problem if another community or project wants to get the GB community involved.

Also, be nice.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Capum15

Sounds interesting. Pretty cool way to get the community involved too.

I've heard good things about Minecraft, I might have to give it a shot sometime. It's somewhere around $14USD right? I could get behind that.

minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By minecraftwb
    @Capum15:   Thank you! We thought it was a good way to attract more people to the game and help build a solid community. Minecraft is a highly entertaining game, you should really check out some youtube videos to get a better feel of the more elaborate things you can do in it. For now it is just under $14 USD, and well worth the money! 

Also I just wanted to mention if anyone has any ideas to help improve our community website (see mini bio for link) we are open to all suggestions. We value players opinions as a way to gauge functionality and design within our site.   

Thanks!
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, its actually possible to watch the forums here become actively worse. There are so many assholes in this thread, its like the internet dregs finally found GB and began their mission to wreck the community.   

The guy is turning your attention towards a free-to-enter competition. Stop being dicks. 

If I wasn't wrapped up in other things right now, I'd have probably given it a shot. Good luck to all those who enter; can't wait to see the entries.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Capum15
    @GetEveryone: That was what I was thinking while reading most of the posts...

Anyway, I might snag Minecraft later Tuesday or sometime Wednesday. Sounds interesting enough, and a friend of mine plays it so that'll be fun. I'll watch some videos on Youtube first though, to get a good idea of everything. There's also that really good sticky'd topic in this forum about it.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Driadon
    @TheBeast said:

" You guys don't need to be so defensive against 'spam' - it's not a problem if another community or project wants to get the GB community involved. Also, be nice. "

Awesome. Sorry, it's very easy to become wary of this sort of stuff. If the mods say it's cool, then, well, it works for me! 

If I get some time here, I'll see what I can pump out for the contest.
    minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By minecraftwb
    @Driadon: Can't wait to see what you come up with, good luck!
    minecraftwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By minecraftwb

I just wanted to add a quick update about a new feature on the site that we are both excited and happy to announce. Minecraft Workbench now has it's own game database to help users find item information, crafting recipes, and even DEC/HEX data! 

You can check it out here:  http://minecraftwb.com/index.php/game-database/items

welshpixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By welshpixie

The site looks awesome - fantastic work on the redesign, the homepage is much more fluid now, far easier to navigate. 

I see the contest prize money has been boosted too - $100 first prize, nothing to laugh at! :O

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.