Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft Builder's Club?

Avatar image for magicallystoopid
    Magicallystoopid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Magicallystoopid

So an idea I've had while browsing through the Forza Race Night's topic was to bring a similar idea to the Minecrafters on GB. The idea being once a week everyone gets together on a server, and are tasked with building a particularly themed building/thing within either a very loose time limit or just until everyone leaves for the night. We can have it happen for both 360 players and those on PC/Mac. Of course whoever runs the PC side would need a server to run things on, and I think it can be left up to those involved wither the game would be set to peaceful or not.

I was thinking too of giving it a name like "This Old Minecraft" or something like that.

Comments, thoughts, yelling at me for having stupid fucking ideas?

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ShadowKnight508

That does sound like a great idea so far. If you get a server going, let me know so I can take part. We could do one of those awesome time-lapse builds where many players on a Minecraft server chip in on a certain theme and build until completed. See one such community build below:

(PS: I do Minecraft on the Mac, so no XB360 version for me)

Magicallystoopid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Magicallystoopid

@ShadowKnight508: I don't really play the PC version anymore since my macbook has trouble running it at anything but like the lowest graphic settings. So I was considering taking the reigns of the 360 version. Hopefully someone who won't mind putting in a server or using their server can step in if/when the time comes. But I think at least once a year there should be an all hands on deck like build-a-thon like you suggested. Like maybe as a New Years thing, or for like May 19th (When the game first went into alpha) or November 18th (When the game went full). Where once again pick some random theme and get epic with it.

It's also a matter of really establishing a time for just doing it. Like everyone coming together and building something like a team. Which really is when Minecraft can be at its most fun. So yeah if people want to do something more pick a big project and do it at a certain time once a week until completion and then something else. That would be a great thing too. I just think having a seperate goal each week makes it more fresh and something people will get less sick of quicker.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SexyToad

Perhaps we have a vote? Pc or Xbox 360? Edit: somehow I skipped that line you typed... I think it would be better for pc since its farther in progression. Has more stuff to build with.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

PC. Much easier to build and more stuff to build with. Also mods can be used to add more blocks. 

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SexyToad

Plus texture packs as well. But I don't use those often.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By living4theday258

it would be nice to do that, but deciding what platform to do it on pc or 360 i didnt get it on 360 because i already have the pc version and its further along than the 360 version, plus you can mod it on pc so that adds tons more to build with. 360 would be easier for hosting and (although im not sure, I've only played the demo on 360) it will run at 60fps for everyone.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

@Magicallystoopid said:

@ShadowKnight508: I don't really play the PC version anymore since my macbook has trouble running it at anything but like the lowest graphic settings. So I was considering taking the reigns of the 360 version. Hopefully someone who won't mind putting in a server or using their server can step in if/when the time comes. But I think at least once a year there should be an all hands on deck like build-a-thon like you suggested. Like maybe as a New Years thing, or for like May 19th (When the game first went into alpha) or November 18th (When the game went full). Where once again pick some random theme and get epic with it.

It's also a matter of really establishing a time for just doing it. Like everyone coming together and building something like a team. Which really is when Minecraft can be at its most fun. So yeah if people want to do something more pick a big project and do it at a certain time once a week until completion and then something else. That would be a great thing too. I just think having a seperate goal each week makes it more fresh and something people will get less sick of quicker.

If you have Windows installed try it on there, the Mac implementation of Java is kinda trashy so the Minecraft performance is sketchy in comparison.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SexyToad

We have to do this! I say let's do it on pc since mist have that version also you dont have to pay for a gold membership. maybe some weekend after August first since the 1.3 update will be out and most people are free on weekend find out what time people are able to be on since I believe the times are going to be different for a lot of people.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SexyToad

Also only allow giant bomb members who have at leastt 25 post so we don't get random people who want to grief and be stupid

Magicallystoopid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Magicallystoopid

Honestly I was going to do it with both, have one person (Most likely me) in charge of running the 360 edition and another person the PC edition. There's no reason why with that set up we can't have both going at the same time.

Speaking of, Sexytoad you sound like you definitely can be the gm for the PC edition of the Minecraft Builders Club.

The only PCs in the house belong to my parents and step sister. Plus I also don't like using Mac for Minecraft since I HAVE to have a mouse to use it, otherwise I have to use the trackpad... and one mouse button.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SexyToad

If you have an wired Xbox 360 controlle you can use that for the of version. That's what I use and it works really good. Try it out if you have a controller.

Magicallystoopid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magicallystoopid

@SexyToad said:

If you have an wired Xbox 360 controlle you can use that for the of version. That's what I use and it works really good. Try it out if you have a controller.

I don't. I know I should get one since I hate having to change batteries all the time. But I'm also broke like 99 percent of the time too.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SexyToad

I bought my for 25 dollars I believe. I only got one so I can play pc games with it. I say it's worth the money. No carpal tunnel for me!

Schatzy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Schatzy23

Count me in for the 360 build.

Magicallystoopid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magicallystoopid

Well in all seriousness...

WHO WOULD LIKE TO VOLUNTEER TO RUN THE PC EDITION OF THE BUILDERS CLUB?

Preferably someone with server access...

living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By living4theday258

@SexyToad said:

Also only allow giant bomb members who have at leastt 25 post so we don't get random people who want to grief and be stupid

Dammit.

@Magicallystoopid said:

@SexyToad said:

I don't. I know I should get one since I hate having to change batteries all the time. But I'm also broke like 99 percent of the time too.

I use wired 360 controllers I used to use wired and probably spent more on batteries than a new controller costs.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SexyToad

Get your posts up! We need you!

living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By living4theday258

@SexyToad said:

Get your posts up! We need you!

Working on that.

Magicallystoopid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Magicallystoopid

I feel like at this rate I should at least get the 360 edition of the Builders Club going, and then in the meanwhile get together someone with a server to host the PC edition...

Sound good?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Hizang

I would like very much a PC Minecraft builders club, seeing as I don't have a 360.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SexyToad

We need someone to volunteer. I can't since my Internet isnt a sure thing.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SexyToad

Oh wait you're going to do the Xbox one? Tell me when!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

If someone will buy me the xbox version ill join ya lol. 

stin727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stin727

are you guys still trying to get this going for pc

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SexyToad

I don't know newcomer. We need one of us to host a server.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm in, I have PC and Xbox version. Hey if we get that server maybe I could recruit some people to come help me with my Inaba project

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By nerdsbeware

Ya, I'm down for PC version as I don't currently own/plan to own MC for Xbox. Maybe I'll take a look into server hosting...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.