Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft on PS Vita: Would it work?

TheGreven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGreven

So what do you think? Is the Vita powerful enough to run Minecraft and still be fun to play it?

Im also thinking about the touchscreen and touchpad on the Vita. It could be useful for a game like this.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By spiceninja

I don't see why not.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By probablytuna

If it can run on a smartphone, I'm pretty sure it can run on a Vita.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Sterling

If I can play it on my tablet, I don't see why the vita couldn't run it.

The real question is, can they work out a deal with Sony now that its an XBLA game. I think they can, seeing how well it has sold. I am sure Sony wants a piece of the pie now also.

TheGreven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreven

@oulzac said:

The real question is, can they work out a deal with Sony now that its an XBLA game. I think they can, seeing how well it has sold. I am sure Sony wants a piece of the pie now also.

I don't really know much about the bussines side of the game industry, but why wouldm't Sony want it on their system just because its on XBLA? Do they have anything to loose?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the technical aspect, it certainly could, after all there is a (gimped) version of it on smartphones.

The business aspect of it can be more troubling, since Microsoft have a deal with Mojang, I don't know whether that will block access to Minecraft for Sony or not.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That would be pretty cool and something I would actually want to play on a portable device.

loiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By loiv

It is on iPad so, yes.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure

@oulzac said:

It's been on other devices (iOS, and Android), I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on vita to be honest. Hell, it would make me want a vita a lot more than I do right now. Minecraft is the perfect game to play on a handheld device for how I play a lot of my handheld games.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

It works on a pure touch device like phones, so of course it would.

edit: I'll bet it could even work in its regular-ass PC form if you could get Java working on the Vita.

TheGreven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreven

Does the iOS/Android version require internet connection? Since I do not have the 3G version of the Vita, I wouldn't be able to play it unless I have access to WiFi.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By bibamatt

@TheGreven: Nope, it's fully playable single player. The multiplayer side to it doesn't even connect to the Internet (I don't think - I might be wrong!). I think it's local wi-fi connection between devices (like the DS used).

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spectreman

Would be nice a 3DS version, but can´t know how they can run the world with so much limited hardware.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Village_Guy said:

From the technical aspect, it certainly could, after all there is a (gimped) version of it on smartphones.

The business aspect of it can be more troubling, since Microsoft have a deal with Mojang, I don't know whether that will block access to Minecraft for Sony or not.

I also think 4J Studio's (who handled the port) are owned by Microsoft, or at least under some kind of contract.

I don't think there'd be anything stopping Mojang bringing it over to the Playstation platforms, but there'd need to be a new developer for it and it'd have to be made from scratch.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By M_Shini

Its already on IOS and vita probably has better control's for it so as long as legal BS allows it there's nothing stopping it.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaegar

I would love to see a more complete portable version of minecraft. The iOS version is super super stripped down and very awkward without physical buttons. I know a 3DS version would be a wash since its much weaker than most smartphones, but a vita version could possibly surpass the 360 version (the vita does have more RAM and I imagine that's a weak point (Running a minecraft server alone on my linux laptop uses 600 MBs of RAM with only 1 person on it)).

For the record I have a 3DS and no Vita, but seeing cool stuff like minecraft on the Vita would get me thinking about buying one more.

xXLunchBox87Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xXLunchBox87Xx

As everyone has already said I'm sure there is no technical reason it can't be on there. Would probably be better then the phone/tablet version. What would be cool is if I could start crafting on my ps3 and continue on my vita, and vice versa.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grillbar

@oulzac said:

yep if it can get on the vita then it will most likely end up on the ps3 instead

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlackLagoon

@oulzac: Mojang actually made a deal with Sony Ericsson a while back, making the Xperia Play the first phone with Minecraft. The phone never sold enough for it to matter though.

@WinterSnowblind: There's nothing about platform exclusivity on 4J's website, and in fact one of 4J's most notable releases was the rather well done PS3 port of Oblivion. And they might actually be able to leverage the XBLA version by porting to Vita through the PlayStation Suite, however it's possible the memory limitations of the suite make a native version necessary.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JasonR86

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

I don't see why not.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SexyToad

No just no

Halos_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#22  Edited By Halos_god

@loiv said:

It is on iPad so, yes.

'Nuff said.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#23  Edited By vigorousjammer

Now, I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is since Microsoft brought out the big "Hey guys, Minecraft is coming to Xbox 360" announcement on the stage show, that one year at E3, they signed some sort of big exclusivity deal with Mojang. The Previous versions were already released, so, if I had to speculate, the exclusivity prohibited Minecraft from going to any more platforms than it's already on... at least for a specified amount of time.

This is all just an educated guess, however.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.