Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft: Why is it So Much Fun?

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By GJSmitty

You may have heard of a little, unpopular game called Minecraft.  Last I heard, only four other people played it besides me.  What's that? 3 million people play Minecraft!?  Wow.  Why do so many people play a game with no obvious objective, blocky graphics, and weird trees that you can knock down with your fist? 
    Because it's so much fun. 
    To an outsider, Minecraft seems stupid.  It's once you start playing when you realize how addicting and fun it is.  Why though?  Let's take a look.

When You First Start

There's a reason why it's amazing to watch a new players play.  Well, actually there's two reasons.  It's really cool to see them discover that you can hit a tree, that you have to build a house before night, that there are tons of crafting recipes, etc.  The second reason is that most of us remember when we were the new player, trying to knock down the tree, but not holding the mouse button down.   We remember how cool it was to discover all of the layers of Minecraft.  You just start in an empty world, where you can do, build, and create almost anything that you can imagine.  Ever wanted to build a giant bridge?  Well you can.  Ever wanted to recreate the USS Enterprise?  Well, you can.  

Two Ways to Play

Minecraft can be played two ways, Survival and Creative.  That said, you can mix the two together quite easily.  If you were to play on a server where there are no mobs and you can give yourself items, this would be considered Creative.  The focus is solely on making awesome stuff.  Then there's Survival, which is what Single Player is (unless you turn the difficulty down to "Peaceful")  There are also servers that have mobs and damage on, but people still manage to build amazing stuff.  There's just more danger put into the game. 

Singleplayer and Multiplayer

Singleplayer is great.  You have to focus on surviving by yourself.  But eventually, you just want to build.  But, when you build something awesome in singleplayer, who will see it?  Just you.  So then there's multiplayer.  Where you can create amazing stuff for other people to see.  It's great to be able to take the great time you had in singleplayer, but then have it with your friends in mulitplayer.  There are many great servers out there for you to join.  One of the best things to do when you join a big multiplayer server for the first time is to just walk around, looking at all of the great things that people built.   

The Thriving Community

If you go to Youtube and type in "Mi"  the third thing on the list that pops up is Minecraft.  If you search "Minecraft"  then you will find pages and pages of videos.  There are Let's Play's, Music videos, Skits, Mod Spotlights, and many more.  Then there's Minecraft news sites, forums, sites dedicated to Minecraft Skins, whatever you can think of, they probably have it.  The community for Minecraft is great. 

Minecraft is great

At one point in this song, they singer says "You never know what you will find, shaping a world that's in your mind."  That is why Minecraft is awesome.  You can create whatever you can think of.  It's amazing 
    Peace,  
    Grant742
    GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GJSmitty

You may have heard of a little, unpopular game called Minecraft.  Last I heard, only four other people played it besides me.  What's that? 3 million people play Minecraft!?  Wow.  Why do so many people play a game with no obvious objective, blocky graphics, and weird trees that you can knock down with your fist? 
    Because it's so much fun. 
    To an outsider, Minecraft seems stupid.  It's once you start playing when you realize how addicting and fun it is.  Why though?  Let's take a look.

When You First Start

There's a reason why it's amazing to watch a new players play.  Well, actually there's two reasons.  It's really cool to see them discover that you can hit a tree, that you have to build a house before night, that there are tons of crafting recipes, etc.  The second reason is that most of us remember when we were the new player, trying to knock down the tree, but not holding the mouse button down.   We remember how cool it was to discover all of the layers of Minecraft.  You just start in an empty world, where you can do, build, and create almost anything that you can imagine.  Ever wanted to build a giant bridge?  Well you can.  Ever wanted to recreate the USS Enterprise?  Well, you can.  

Two Ways to Play

Minecraft can be played two ways, Survival and Creative.  That said, you can mix the two together quite easily.  If you were to play on a server where there are no mobs and you can give yourself items, this would be considered Creative.  The focus is solely on making awesome stuff.  Then there's Survival, which is what Single Player is (unless you turn the difficulty down to "Peaceful")  There are also servers that have mobs and damage on, but people still manage to build amazing stuff.  There's just more danger put into the game. 

Singleplayer and Multiplayer

Singleplayer is great.  You have to focus on surviving by yourself.  But eventually, you just want to build.  But, when you build something awesome in singleplayer, who will see it?  Just you.  So then there's multiplayer.  Where you can create amazing stuff for other people to see.  It's great to be able to take the great time you had in singleplayer, but then have it with your friends in mulitplayer.  There are many great servers out there for you to join.  One of the best things to do when you join a big multiplayer server for the first time is to just walk around, looking at all of the great things that people built.   

The Thriving Community

If you go to Youtube and type in "Mi"  the third thing on the list that pops up is Minecraft.  If you search "Minecraft"  then you will find pages and pages of videos.  There are Let's Play's, Music videos, Skits, Mod Spotlights, and many more.  Then there's Minecraft news sites, forums, sites dedicated to Minecraft Skins, whatever you can think of, they probably have it.  The community for Minecraft is great. 

Minecraft is great

At one point in this song, they singer says "You never know what you will find, shaping a world that's in your mind."  That is why Minecraft is awesome.  You can create whatever you can think of.  It's amazing 
    Peace,  
    Grant742
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

I guess it's because it's a glorified digital lego kit, so grown ups can play with legos without looking too much stupid.

I myself was never impressed by any of the enterprises, marios or what have you people make there, it's like "yeah you built a 20 foot mario with blocks of dirt, so what?"

I found it to be fun for about 3 or 4 days, but once I got to diamond I realized there's nothing else to do, because I'm not into building useless stuff just for the heck of it, also I bought it before all of the fad started, I think there were about only 50k copies sold at the time.

I'm kinda sorta almost looking forward to the "adventure update", but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just like "yeah go to this place", then you find a dungeon with a couple of skeletons and a chest, in it a unique sword, then a message pops up, "there, wasn't that adventurous? but hey you can build stuff and make your own fun".

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TotalEklypse

I'd rather play Terraria

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

Games amazing!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @grant742 said:

tress that you can knock down with your fist

You could have stopped there :P.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By probablytuna

I can understand why it might be fun for others, but I don't think I have the patience to create anything from scratch in a sandbox game like this.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I find it fun because I love every game where you start with nothing then build your way up. Though you do reach the "end-game" of Minecraft quite soon, you can still expand and build shit. Installing mods like "Better Than Wolves" also help.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I find it fun because I like building stuff, I always did, even when I played with Legos.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

I just started playing a few hours ago, it was so much fun, I would have kept playing but my body needs sleep. What I enjoyed most about it was evolving my little room into a larger room full of things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.