Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Ohhhhhh, so this is why Paypal sucks!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Ive noticed plenty of backlash towards Paypal. I didn't understand why, I use them all the time, but than i heard about what Paypal Did to Markus "Notch" Persson, the creator of Minecraft. Its been selling really well and it peaked in the last week or so. he received over 600,000 Euros ( More than $763,000 USD) in sales in just a few days. But because Paypal has no understanding of the idea that an Indie game could be so popular, they considered that 600K to be an illegal transfer of money, and so they locked off the account. He wrote about it on his blog......

And.. Paypal. On the 25’th, they limited my account for unspecified reasons (a suspicious withdrawal or deposit! wow, thank you for that amazingly detailed information), and asked me for a bunch of vague documents. I did my best to give them what they asked for.

My account is still limited. I’ve called them three times, they keep telling me it’s being reviewed. Most recently they told me it’d take up to two more weeks for it to get resolved, and that if they decide something bad’s being going on, they’re going to keep the money.

There’s over 600000 euro in there. Money I was planning on investing in the new company.

I’m sure it’ll get sorted out, but this is kind of frustrating.

[edit:] Just to clear things up: I withdraw everything from paypal every week. They limited my account just as sales started spiking, so this money has accumulated since they limited the account.

posted 2 days ago | 474 Comments and 5 Reactions

So now Notch has 600K Euros locked away that he had planned on using to create his own dev studio. Notch is a great guy and talented person, and he did not deserve this to happen to him, hopefully he will get the money back. And although I understand why Paypal wouldn't understand the popularity of a game called Minecraft (I know alot of GB users don't get it either) they have no reason to take 600K from someone regardless of what contracts they signed or how bad it looks without giving it a full examination. But this whole thing kinda makes me regret using paypal to buy the game 3 months back. In the US I could imagine this being the sort of thing CNN would love to cover (The media attention, and subsquent jump in sales, would really freak out Paypal.) but that will not happen, so Paypal might just get away with it.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

Deleted your duplicate post and locking this one down as a duplicate of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.