Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Rumor: Microsoft is in talks to buy Mojang

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Article

Holy Moly, Mojang is valued at $2 Billion. I wonder what, if any effect this would have on the PS ports of Minecraft. They must really just want to go all-in with Minecraft.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't buy it ... they are a private company and Notch doesn't seem the type to sell out especially since he made a mountain of money on Minecraft (and probably still is making a lot)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I don't believe.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't care. Minecraft is the antithesis of everything I like about videogames.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I call bullshit, but part of me wants this to be real for the sole reason that this would be the most fucking insane story of the year. You thought the internet was shitty this past month? Wait until you see all the shitstorm of people bitching that Notch sold out to Microsoft of all people...

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

On one hand, the entertainment value of this happening would be great but I don't care about Minecraft at all so this would be a waste.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Free 2 Play Minecraft.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know Microsoft, you could also use the 2 billion dollars to create 2 or 3 AAA studios who can create exclusive and new IP for your console...

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan_nl: minecraft makes more money then a couple triple a titles ever would.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If whatsapp is worth $19 billion then Mojang is definitely worth $2 billion. Minecraft has proven itself as an institution with staying power, and it's a game a lot of young kids play (get em while they're young may be a cynical business practice but it's a good one.) The only way I could see this happening is if Notch is just done running Mojang. He has all the money he wants already and he values his freedom, so the only way he'd take $2 billion is if he wants out and wants to go back to solo developing or just move beyond games to something else (With $2 billion you can spend the rest of your life building rocket ships or trying to cure cancer or whatever.)

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

All your heroes can be bought, internet.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

what ever became of that card game "Scrolls"? and also not just the PS port but almost every child I've seen plays Minecraft predominately on the ipad...... I do wonder about the new management of Microsoft Games Studio, and we might see something different here, especially since this is such a huge phenomenon with children and families.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#13  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Locked by OP's request. You can read and comment on Giant Bomb's article on the subject here.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Locked at request of OP.

Please refer to Patrick's article if you wish to discuss this topic. Thanks.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#15 Mento  Moderator

Locked by OP's request. You can read and comment on Giant Bomb's article on the subject here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.