Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Whiskey Media's Minecraft Server: Part Deux!

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#351  Edited By Nodderly

@xJollyx: Whitelist is off! Join anytime and I'll upgrade you.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#352  Edited By quemador

Is anyone having problems connecting to the server? i updated the client and it wont let me login.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#353  Edited By Brackynews

@Quemador: That could be the server hasn't yet been updated. Logging in with my 1.8.1 beta client worked fine just now.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354  Edited By quemador

@Brackynews:

Yeah, i notice that too. :(

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By Nodderly

The server will not be updated until two things occur:

1. The official release version is officially released and made official for real.

2. Bukkit is updated to support the new patch and our server provider makes it available to us.

Once those things have occurred, I'll make a couple of super-secure backups (because Minecraft) and push the magic button.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By Brackynews

@Nodderly: Thanks for beating me to the exact same questions but in statement form. ;)

I expect that A) the Bukkit folks are at Minecon and under IMMENSE diamond-forming pressure to get their update pushed out approximately the same time, and B) server providers are also on alert.

Until then it's super-easy to downgrade from the release candidates if need be.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By Nodderly

@Brackynews: I live to serve!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#358  Edited By Capum15

You know, something rather minor but I'm exited about - fences no longer act as a full block to NPC's and players. Like panes or iron bars, you can stand right next to them without an invisible box. So it can be used as a new underwater air station-capable block.

Though them connecting to walls can make them look...wrong, in some places.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#360  Edited By lumley

I will start playing again I promise.. Skyrim is too good.. I'm only 24 hours in and I've got so much to do.

Plus I've got builders block on minecraft. I see a massive building someone's made and get bummed out by the size of my buildings in comparison.

DaddyTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By DaddyTin

Nodds, As a logistician by trade (military side), I have an observation to pull to the forum's perspection. The use of teleporters to centers of activity is marvelous but the matching of these teleporters to short distance minecart runs (subway) increases efficiency. We can't ALL have a teleporter from Spawn Plaza (Spawn, Spawn Point, Planetfall, and other names). But having teleporters with roads and minecart runs extending the logistics makes more sense. Running rail to/from every point on the map without teleport consideration decreases efficiency and ridership. It is quicker to teleport to Spawn Plaza (et al) followed by another teleport to a different area than to run/ride. Noone is moving massive treasure that requires a freight line, only passenger movment. And one must have passengers not just an empty line. Connect the existing teleport matrix with workable road/trail/rail is the optimal and less-world-damaging solution. A recommendation to you for an area teleporter after activity is established in that area should also consider nearby teleporters in existance. Rail/road from there. The idea behind transit systems is that people use them and efficiency is increased. I remember walking from New Bourbon to my project area that was closer to the original spawn on the previous worlk. Uggggh, days! Not exactly efficient but we didn't have Mr. Scott-like teleporters back in the day. Thoughts?

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Lively

I was just on the server, and I don't currently have world-alteration rights.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By Nodderly

@DaddyTin: This is certainly a worthy topic for forum discussion. From the start, the teleporters have been exciting and convenient, but also a source of concern. I have no firsthand knowledge to back this up, but I have seen discussions from the Tested server population indicating that, when they allowed free use of teleportation for all users, it had a detrimental effect on the server. Everybody moved far away from everyone else and created an individual fiefdom. This had a few negative consequences. It expanded greatly the size of the map, which has ramifications all its own. It made the general atmosphere of the server less impressive, because all the cool construction was hard to find and spread far apart. And it impacted the server community, with a lot of people playing like it was single-player Minecraft with a chatroom attached. For these reasons, I decided that any teleportation would have to be implemented on a small scale and be carefully controlled. As it is, I think the teleporters right now have created a less intense version of some of those issues.

On the other hand, I really appreciate the convenience of the teleporters. Sometimes that rail line from Bourbon back to the Old World was the worst thing ever. I'm happy to avoid a situation like that. And some people strongly prefer to build large and distant, which is a totally understandable play-style and I think the teleporters help those types circulate around the server more. As an example, the Aqueduct is one of the most awesome things on the server. Finding space closer to spawn to build it might have been frustrating or forced compromises, and there could have been complaints from other builders who feel that a big chunk of valuable real estate was being monopolized. The teleporter allowed him to build the project the way he wanted, kept him in touch with the main building areas, and keeps the final product accessible to those who want to marvel at it. It's a clear win for teleporters.

I think I'm going to cut back on teleporters post-release. When I open the new territory, I'll add a port to it and then take a break. We can try old-fashioned subways out there. After a bit, we can reevaluate.

Thoughts?

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By Nodderly

@Lively: You should now.

Also, just heard from our host:

"We have updated the default Minecraft server JAR to 1.0. If you wish to play Minecraft 1.0, select Default Minecraft Server and restart your server.

Please note that Craftbukkit is not updated at the time this email is sent out, they will be doing a live updated at their Minecon booth. We will updated bukkit when we have word the new version is out."

Should be soon!

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#365  Edited By Marnox
    @Lumley: Size doesn't matter. Promise.
    CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By CaptainTryHard

any idea when the server will be up?

DaddyTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By DaddyTin

@CaptTryHard: The server is up but only for 1.8.1. You have to throttle back the versions until Nodds gets the nods that the bukkit is deployable.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By FunExplosions

Hey hey, how goes the minecraftin'? I'll be back in here sometime. Sometime. Skyrim has a firm hold of me right now.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By Marnox
    @Nodderly: When will you open up a new land for us and "force" migration? It might be the comeback-boost I need!
    Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By Lively

Wait, is some land closed to us at the moment? I thought this server had no "glass walls"? I've never ventured beyond explored borders, so I've never put that to the test.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By Christoffer

This is kind of embarrassing, but how do I join? I have never tried out minecraft multiplayer.

My Minecraft ID is: chris_e

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By Nodderly
    @Marnox I would never force anybody to do anything! I'll open new territory as soon as the server gets updated. I have a feeling people will want to visit anyway. :D

@Lively Nothing is locked, but it's easy for me to teleport far into fresh chunks and blaze a trail.

@Christoffer It's open to all right now! I'll give you build rights.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Subjugation

@Nodderly said:

Sometimes that rail line from Bourbon back to the Old World was the worst thing ever.

If you think the ride was bad, imagine Fun and I actually digging the thing out.

@Marnox said:

@Lumley: Size doesn't matter. Promise.

Yep. It's the motion of the ocean.

@FunExplosions said:

Hey hey, how goes the minecraftin'? I'll be back in here sometime. Sometime. Skyrim has a firm hold of me right now.

And pretty much this. I am neck deep in this affair myself.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Subjugation
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#375  Edited By Giantstalker

Can I get whitelisted please?

MC name is armygunner

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Nodderly
    @Giantstalker No whitelist right now! See you on the server!
    Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By Marnox
    @Nodderly: OK! Could you PM or mention me in a reply or something when that happens? I will be far away in Skyrim until then.

Only you can grasp what is in the abysses of gaming addiction. 

Only you drag me out.
    Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By Nodderly
    @Marnox That depends on whether or not I can stop Skyrimming, myself.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By Subjugation

@Nodderly said:

@Marnox That depends on whether or not I can stop Skyrimming, myself.

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere ...

@FunExplosions:

+
    +
    =
    =
    x89089018349018408190481 billion
    x89089018349018408190481 billion
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By emergency

Any idea when the server will work with the new release?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By Capum15
    @emergency: When Bukkit updates and the server host updates.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By Brackynews

@Nodderly: May I request any trailblazing be in the general direction of Newton, so it pads out the google map? ;) (petty annoyance is petty...) [Edited for brainfart...]

Also I have no build rights, so I have been busy stocking the smeltery.

Also the smeltery is out of fuel. And I cannot refill it.

Also I have an essay to finish. So just forget I said anything...

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383  Edited By emergency

@Capum15 said:

@emergency: When Bukkit updates and the server host updates.

Sweet, thanks. Felt like checking it out and playing some, has been a while since I've loaded up Minecraft at all. I was a bit sad when I couldn't connect to the server :P

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By Capum15

I'll try and get on when the update hits, but Skyrim's got me in it's clutches. A dragon finally assaulted me at the Winterhold College. That bastard was tough since I was using new spells that had high Magicka requirements. Went though a ton of potions.

And then a fucking mage ninja's me when I was over-encumbered. Asshole. So I got to fight the dragon yet again.

But damn does it feel awesome to kill one of those things.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#385  Edited By Hef

Yo can I have building permissions. I haven't been on in a while but i'd like to finish my room in the frat house. Hef34 is my login.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By Nodderly

@Subjugation said:

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere ...

at

I'm sure I can't imagine what you mean.

@emergency: According to the Bukkit devs, they do not currently have a stable version at all. They will be spending tomorrow traveling back from Minecon. They won't have an update for "a couple of days." Sorry, all. If we grow too impatient, it may be possible to switch to completely-standard Vanilla Minecraft 1.0. That would mean turning the whitelist back on because I could no longer control user permissions. And all chests would be unprotected and the teleporters, /spawn, and /more would not function. So, there's that.

EDIT:

@Hef: You should be good to go.

EDIT EDIT:

@Brackynews: Request granted. I'm afraid these sorts of things will always make the Google map a little crazy. I have corrected your permissions. Feel free to ignore your essay. I'll restock the Smeltery.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By Lively

@ Nodderly: I vote to convert the server to Vanilla until the Bukkit plugin is ready. I think most of us updated our client, so almost no one can join at the moment. I think we can do without /more and teleports for a few days.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By Nodderly

@Lively: Noted! It is possible for you to run the old version of Minecraft and join the server that way, should you choose to do so.

Any other opinions?

EDIT: An additional point to consider is that creepers would again be unrestrained.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By Brackynews

@Nodderly: kthx.

It really is easy to downgrade, but I can understand if people don't like to meddle with their files. I have greeted a couple tourists, but getting the sense that most are whitelisted users coming back to try v1.0. And yeah I'm curious, definitely.

Providing there is a backup of the server, the worst thing that could happen is needing to roll it back... I don't mind living on the edge for a few days. Admin's perogative!

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By Nodderly

@Brackynews: To be honest, I'm leeeeeaning toward doing it. A few days of mod-free pure Minecraft could be kinda fun, actually. Creepers and all. Also, I'm looking forward to brewing potions kind of a crazy amount.

EDIT: It is done! The server is now pure Vanilla, running 1.0. Come check it out! Mobs are turned off for now because of creepers. :(

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By Brackynews

No mobs also means no earning XP, and no XP sadly means no enchanting WHICH IS TOTALLY AWESOME. Protip for the Arena, you cannot see if someone else's weapon is enchanted (glowy).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By Nodderly

@Brackynews: I am capable of granting XP until mobs are back on.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By benpicko

Is the 18+ rule still in place? If not, my username is BenP1cko.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394  Edited By Nodderly

@benpicko: It is not. Welcome aboard!

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By benpicko

@Nodderly said:

@benpicko: It is not. Welcome aboard!

Thanks!

DaddyTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By DaddyTin

@Bracky: spawners are running normal. I leveled up fighting my favorite nemesis, the arachnids!

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By Dredlockz

Holy crap guise! Really nice buildings you got going on in there. It's my first time visiting.

I was wondering tho, Is it possible to host a hardcore-mode survival server?

I like the whole zen-building nature of the game, but I also would like a bit of a challenge.

EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By EvilGreenDevil

@Nodderly said:

@Brackynews: To be honest, I'm leeeeeaning toward doing it. A few days of mod-free pure Minecraft could be kinda fun, actually. Creepers and all. Also, I'm looking forward to brewing potions kind of a crazy amount.

EDIT: It is done! The server is now pure Vanilla, running 1.0. Come check it out! Mobs are turned off for now because of creepers. :(

YES! Thank you. I've been holding off on visiting the server since like beta 1.6. Looking forward to being an active contributor.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By Nodderly

@Dredlockz The mobs are only turned off temporarily. Once Bukkit is updated, we'll have mobs again. We do normally nerf creepers, though. The server is more or less Vanilla survival with a couple of small quality of life improvements. It is not possible to run more than one world on our current plan, but if you want to set up a hardcore server of your own, I'm sure people would love to try it!

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#400  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

I found a very interesting sign on the edge of a new path in Arcadia... very curious indeed. One of you thunder humpers should check it out...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.