Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

You got your Dwarf Fortress in my Minecraft.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

It seems like there is a fairly large segment of Minecraft fans who also like Dwarf Fortress. A pc Gamer article tipped me off tothis utility which converts your dwarf fortress save into a playable Minecraft Map. 

DF is way beyond me gameplay wise but for those of you who understand it, this could be really cool. How good this is, Im not sure, but some people seem excited about it. I'd love to hear what you guys think of it if you get to try it.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

This is incredible. Being able to possibly seed levels across these two games is beyond anything I ever would have expected. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikemcn
    @Driadon said:
    " This is incredible. Being able to possibly seed levels across these two games is beyond anything I ever would have expected.  "
    Its one of the few things that might actually motivate me to play Dwarf Fortress. If you try using it i'd love some pics of what it makes.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By onarum

Man Dwarf fortress is just unapproachable to me, I just can't figure that shit out, even with a graphical set to make things more friendly I just can't grasp it at all, but yeah this convertion thing is amazing, I should try and get a DF game going just to try this out.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By august

I don't think the gameplay of Dwarf Fortress is itself that difficult, it's just the godforsaken ui which I can't get a grip on. Especially if you have a laptop keyboard. I've booted that game up like ten time and gotten nowhere.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aeterna
    @onarum said:
    " Man Dwarf fortress is just unapproachable to me, I just can't figure that shit out, even with a graphical set to make things more friendly I just can't grasp it at all, but yeah this convertion thing is amazing, I should try and get a DF game going just to try this out. "
    Try one of the tutorials/guides by Captnduck or 51ppycup on youtube. That's how I started. 
    I'll check this out, not been on the DF forums in a while, missed this, thanks for posting. :)
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum

@ Aeterna 

Thanks, I'm watching the capnduck tutorials right now, and holy shit, there are like 40 videos man, just to show how complex this game is, I'll be watching them all and hopefully finally be able to get into DF, I don't know why I never though about looking for video tutorials before.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By vager

I already dig in Minecraft like I do Dwarf Fortress. :/
    I dig straight down, then make hallways connecting to square rooms everywhere. 

@onarum:  
    I watched all of them last year. Good luck with that; it's pretty much 6 hour tutorial video.    

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Of course people who like Minecraft also like Dwarf Fortress. It's the same segment of the population that attempts to convince you that Nethack is not only a game worth playing, but that it is also more entertaining than any RPG that came out after 1988.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikemcn
    @ArbitraryWater said:

" Of course people who like Minecraft also like Dwarf Fortress. It's the same segment of the population that attempts to convince you that Nethack is not only a game worth playing, but that it is also more entertaining than any RPG that came out after 1988. "

Minecraft is the greatest first person game since the original Half Life! Its true, now if you don't mind me im going to tunnel 3 imaginary miles below the earth.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum

Hey, no bashing Nethack, I love that shit :P

man how awesome would it be to have all DF functionality (complete with history/lore generation)  running on the minecraft engine? I think Notch said that was the original idea, to have Df complexity on a much more friendlier way, but I don't think he wants to do that anymore.

Seriously I'm watching those DF videos and man, that game is just unbelievable, if only the UI wasn't so unintuitive and the graphics a little better.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Crocio
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Driadon

I tried this software with the current versions of everything and, well, it's not working for me :(. Methinks they have yet to make a version with the most recent build of DF.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HotSauceMagik

I used CptnDucks tutorials, and basically built my fort right along with his for the first 12 videos. 

The UI is definitely unintuitive, but honestly, after like 1 game, it starts to make sense.  d is for altering land and things on it.  b is to build something.  i for designating zones (bedroom, meeting area etc..)  q is basically a right click in any other game in that it brings up a contextual menu of what actions you can perform with an object....  

Once you get the basicas down, its all pretty easy.  if only there were a way to incorporate the DF Wiki right into the client so i wouldn't have t alt-tab all the time....  

As for the topic at hand,  I will definitely be trying this out with my current fortress. 

Also, Did Minecraft make anyone go back and play DF?  That what it ended up doing for me....

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Wow that's pretty awesome, I'd like to see that in more games, having easily convertible maps.   

@HotSauceMagik
    said:

" Also, Did Minecraft make anyone go back and play DF?  That what it ended up doing for me.... "

Y'know no one has brought any comparisons of minecraft with Blockland. I used to love blockland, I made so many epic buildings, and it's a more literal "video game lego" kind of experience. It might make me go back to that. As for DF... I've never heard of it. Kinda intrigued now, but I might just play minecraft instead. 
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Mighty

Minecraft. 

Is. 

Sick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.