Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 07, 2016

A reboot of the previously singleton franchise, this game features Faith using parkour in an open-world.

Closed Beta is up, share your thoughts!

• 57 results
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By jacdg

Just got an email with my code, downloading right now!!

Really interested in seeing what the game is like, and if I am still interested. Mirror's Edge was among my absolute favorites from the last generation of consoles, and I've been waiting for another ever since I finished the first game, but I am unsure if it's still something I would be into, my time for games and taste in them has changed quite a bit since the original.

I also got an extra code, so I guess you can share with friends, which I think is dope!

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mrcraggle

Can I has your extra code so I can share my thoughts? I'm on PC

simonkeane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By simonkeane

Free EU code: APG8-99N9-DGRP

My first one was for the PS4 version, not sure if it has to be used on the same platform or not.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It's a big file (12GB) so going to be while before I can actually share my thoughts.

simonkeane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My download is 13 minutes away from being done!

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I had known this was starting up yesterday. I could have set my PS4 to sleep and queue up the beta download remotely. Pretty hyped!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

If anyone got a friend code, for the PC in europe I would be grateful, love Mirrors Edge a lot.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

my thoughts are that i wish i was in on this beta

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played roughly an hour of it, and I reaaaaaallly liked it, honestly more than I expected. Was very much in doubt about the open world, but it feels great though there are some moments where you run yourself into a corner or get completely lost, but that doesn't matter because the movement feels fantastic as it did back in the first game, maybe even better. I didn't like that they locked some movement options behind XP walls raise feet while jumping, 180 spin and the roll being three of them, used those a ton in the first game, and it kinda makes the game a little worse.

I even thought the fighting seemed cool, certainly felt better than it looked, though it was a little clumsy at spots, but an upgrade over the first game. Story didn't do anything for me, and there was more of it.

Music didn't feel as distinct/present as the first game, which is the only game I've ever bought the soundtrack for. I completely loved that and the theme song.

Not sure I have the money to buy this at full price at launch, which makes me sad, because I would love to support it if the games continues being this much fun throughout.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrainScratch

First and foremost, I should say that I love the first Mirror's Edge, it's probably one of my favorite games, even with it's flaws. With that said, I'm kinda disappointed from what I've played so far (around 1:30h). It feels so much like they left the philosophy of the original far behind.

First, they want to introduce you so much at the same time as quickly as possible, from controls to characters, it's like there's no room to breathe. The first missions go beyond being tutorials to turn into "Hey, here's everything you can do in this game! Now we have combos and new moves and sprint races and collectibles and an open world!", it doesn't feel organic at all.

Then there's also problems with the level design itself, the good thing about the original was that color would guide you through the levels. Unconsciously you knew where to go because if everything was white but the right paths were painted by strong colors and lights. This is almost gone now. On the early levels, I followed color like I got used to and sometimes ended up falling from a building or getting lost until I realized I had to go through some poorly lit, white zone. Speaking of falling from buildings, the load times are quite longer to get you back on the game after you die.

The whole UI/HUD is kinda problematic as well. To be fair, as a designer, bad HUD in games as always been my pet peeve. But on this one you have a constant R2 prompt on a door you can open at the same time as you have the red door (like the old game), unnecessary health bars on top of the enemies heads, generic (Assassin's Creed-esque) big boxes to update your objectives, constant waypoint marker and more. For comparison sake, the only thing the first game had was a reticle.

So far, I've seen no reason for having an open world other than an excuse to make side-objectives, such as collecting irrelevant things, unlock stuff on the map, etc. Same goes with the skill tree. There's some vibe to it that almost makes it feel like a modern Ubisoft game. In the end I think the game would be better if it was linear and focused like the first, but with a stronger narrative. But then again, that's not what pleases the masses and, just like every other AAA game released nowadays, open world and skilltrees are a must have.

Music is nice, but its nowhere near the first game. Story-wise I'm too early on but it didn't do much for me and I'm kinda afraid it might follow tropes from YA novels/movies.

But is it a good game? Well, so far it feels like it is and I would probably recommend this game anyway. I had some framerate issues (PS4) that made me miss some jumps but the gameplay feels nice and visuals are stunning. I also had some bigger framerate problems on cutscenes but nothing too extreme and hopefully they'll be fixed before release.

Just remember, if you're a fan of the original game, there's going to be a lot of differences on this new one that you'll probably take more time to get used to in comparison to people who are experience Mirror's Edge for the first time with Catalyst.

Speaking of fans of the old one, there's a really nice easter egg on the first hour of the game: right before you walk through the vent to go talk with Birdman, you'll walk inside a section that looks exactly like a mirrored copy of a section from early on the original Mirror's Edge, there's even a runner's bag on the same spot! It was a neat throwback and you can't miss that section since it's the only path you can take to get to the waypoint and activate the cutscene.

P.S.: btw, does anyone know the difference between the classic runner's vision and the new one? I turned the classic and it had all the new stuff.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko said:

Speaking of fans of the old one, there's a really nice easter egg on the first hour of the game: right before you walk through the vent to go talk with Birdman, you'll walk inside a section that looks exactly like a mirrored copy of a section from early on the original Mirror's Edge, there's even a runner's bag on the same spot! It was a neat throwback and you can't miss that section since it's the only path you can take to get to the waypoint and activate the cutscene.

Noticed that too, loved it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I have nothing to add other than how April is evidently themonth for video game betas. I mean holy shit, there's been like two new betas opening up per week.

R2KA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Here's an Xbox One code: TF[nine]RD-7G499-F3CTY-QWPPG-MMG[four]Z

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And here's a PS4 one: CC2E-EFNF-2MG4

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@dussck said:

And here's a PS4 one: CC2E-EFNF-2MG4

Might also want to say which region this is for. I'm in the US, and it didn't seem to work, but didn't say it had been used either.

Thanks for sharing the code either way, though. I'm sure someone will be able to use it.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dussck: Thanks for the code, really wanted to try the Beta on PS4

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone has a spare eu code for any system I would be very grateful.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

If anyone has a spare eu code for any system I would be very grateful.

This should be an EU code for PS4 for anyone who wants it

8KQ8-KAN8-R34D
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate that you have to unlock all the stuff you could as standard in the first game. And the open world aspect just seems like it's only there so they can extend the game's length and fill it full of shit like collectables and races and stuff.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg: Thankyou, you are a star

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've been enjoying it quite a lot. It's fun. Let's hope the final game has enough, well, good game built around it to be worth playing.

funkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By funkstar

@johnymyko: classic runners vision is just red highlighting of objects, as in the old game. You get occasional red arrows on surfaces.

I believe new runners vision stays on until you have got past the tutorial part where you press R3 and get that red gps blob thing. That red path showing you where to go is the major difference:

No Caption Provided

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By brandondryrock

I have an extra beta code for PC. PM me if you want it.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only now learned this information and am just short of squealing like a little child while I wait for the download.

Adored ME1.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inhaler said:

@johnymyko: classic runners vision is just red highlighting of objects, as in the old game. You get occasional red arrows on surfaces.

I believe new runners vision stays on until you have got past the tutorial part where you press R3 and get that red gps blob thing. That red path showing you where to go is the major difference:

No Caption Provided

I was having some issues with the "classic" runners vision not highlighting any path. It was especially frustrating during one race where it didn't hightlight anything and I was totally lost on which way to go until I turned on full vision. Might just be a beta bug, or they didn't spend as much time with the classic mode.

Otherwise I think it's fantastic. Once I got used to the controls again, it felt like the old mirror's edge.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pompouspizza

Playing the beta has just reaffirmed the fact that I'm so happy we're getting another Mirror's Edge game. It's so much fun to just run around the world. It looks pretty good on ps4 too.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got an extra Xbox one code for the US if anyone wants it.

Xbox One code: TFY4C-M96TG-69YXV-WF333-JMYDZ

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got an extra Xbox one code for the US if anyone wants it.

Xbox One code: TFY4C-M96TG-69YXV-WF333-JMYDZ

I grabbed that one.
    Thanks! Installing now!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By liquiddragon

Played most of it on PS4 and will say it makes a good impression.

If you were a fan of the first one, I'm gonna guess you're going to love this game.

If you really liked the look of the original and the concept but walked away not a fan after playing it or beating it like me, here are some bullet points about the beta:

• The aesthetic is maintained and it's still an eye-catching art direction. Has a great look.
    • Some low textures on clothes and such. Game probably looks stunning on PC.
    • Bad tattoos? Check.
    • Slightly better attitude. Maybe.
    • No more e-surance cartoon fmv. At least in the beta, thank god.
    • Cutscenes get pretty framey at times. In game frame rate is almost always smooth.
    • Running picks up faster and faster in general. Improved sense of speed.
    • Moves execute more reliably. I think timing is wider?
    • Improved feel. More tactile?
    • More options in the combat. Simple. Improved. Still not great.
    • Tech tree. Some moves available in the first game are locked way.
    • "open world" not sure how big it is. I think it's more of a open area where you can do side missions and go to main missions 'cause I think some doors open only when you need them. not sure about this.

Bottom line: everything seems to be improved. I've really enjoyed moving around parkouring but I still have to question if they could stretch this out to a full length game and still keep it varied and interesting. The first one looked great too and was novel for a while but DICE just couldn't figure out how to make a fun game around it so that's the real challenge here.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a couple hours and while I think it feels pretty good and is fairly fun it just seems so much like the first. Everything seems improved but just not enough to make me interested in picking it up at full price. The open world while having a nice variety of paths to take often felt like I was taking the same core paths really frequently and splitting the city blocks up using those bridges just kind of breaks the flow a lot of the time.

Nothing seems bad really, it just doesn't catch my interest really.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrainScratch

I have a code for PS4 (Europe): 82AE-H5N7-H6MR

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a US PS4 code:

CK8T-ADN4-K42D

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, RIP me. Looks like I wasn't lucky enough to get a code for pc. Thanks to those of you sharing your impressions though. I'm getting an overall positive vibe which makes me happy.

InfernoSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By petethepanda

Maybe it's because I watched the first couple Divergent movies recently but I'm definitely getting a strong "dystopian YA" vibe from this, much more than the first game. The writing isn't working too well for me so far, but I like what it's going for. Surprised there haven't been more games trying for this kind of feel lately.

Gets pretty stuttery with lots of fps drops on Ultra (i5 3570k / 970), but it's better if I drop stuff down. Got to try it out on PS4 as well; runs okay, doesn't hold onto 60 very well. But yeah, beta, so hopefully both console and PC see improvements by launch.

Plus friendly NPCs get really annoyed with you when you hit them and it's kind of hilarious

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I loved Mirror's Edge, played a couple hours and uninstalled this one. Not because I hate it but because I don't want to burn out on it before the game comes out.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lost_Remnant

I'm not sure how far I am into the beta and how long it lasts but the last mission I did was the one you see Brad and Drew talking over in the unfinished video and my feelings on it are pretty positive with a few niggles.

It still feels like Mirrors Edge, finding a good path and getting a good "line" without breaking up the momentum still feels pretty damn great. The combat feels kind of cumbersome but it's still a a lot better and with a bit more variety than the last game. As someone who only played the original without using guns, I'm glad I have a few more tricks to bring dudes down with my fists. I was most likely going to get this close on release and the beta has only strengthened that feeling, I love games that make getting around your environment fun and Mirrors Edge still accomplishes that for me. The game also looks really damn pretty and keeps a good frame-rate on my Xbox one, except for the cut scenes which are oddly framey at times. The red on white, with flashes of blue and orange is still a great look for this game.

Even though the story stuff in the last game was brief of cut scenes and exposition, it still had some nice set dressing and wasn't intrusive in playing the game itself. I can't say I'm digging the story stuff I'm seeing in the beta, I still like Faith but I other than your Morgan Freeman-esque wise man in Birdman everyone else kinda suuuuuuucks. Icarus is bringing some lame 'tude to bear and Noah's story output so far seems to be the Runner version of a cop show procedural captain who goes between disappointed in my actions and being super stoked I'm around. Nomad just kinda seems to be my bro who will also probably be crushing on me super hard. I'm not really invested in any of it but maybe the story will pick up, it's not really my reason for playing so if it doesn't I won't be irked about it one way or another.

As another point, I kind of wish all the cut-scenes when Faith was present was still in the first person perspective, I liked that the first game stuck to that more other then it's E-surance style cut-scenes. What I'm saying is, where are my first person hugs? I'm also a bit worried about how varied the rest of the objectives and side missions will be, none of this was a big issue for me in the first game cause it was a somewhat short (I think I beat the first game in around 7-8 hours back in the day) so by the time it was over, the loop of "run away from dudes and deliver things" hadn't worn out it's welcome. With DICE pushing the open world thing, and sprinkling the map with tons of pick-ups and potentially samey side missions I could find myself tiring of the game before it ends.

Or maybe just the thrill of running through some slick looking environments will be enough, either way I'm still pretty excited to play it. Still may not pick it up on release day, but I definitely want to get to this game sooner rather than later.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright. What I played felt good and looked nice but the voice acting was pretty atrocious. Looks like a fun game but not one I'd drop $60 on. I'll wait for it to get cheap on PC

Saltank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah it seems like they're using a different voice actor for Faith, and she sounds less concerned with everything and very laid back.

@mems1224 said:

It's alright. What I played felt good and looked nice but the voice acting was pretty atrocious. Looks like a fun game but not one I'd drop $60 on. I'll wait for it to get cheap on PC

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Funkydupe
    • Tech tree. Some moves available in the first game are locked way.

Dohh...

TrueHeresy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a UK PS4 code if anybody is interested?

F5N6-R7NL-K7BK
    Twinblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a huge fan of the original and im really liking Catalyst so far. That said i wouldn't say im completely sold on the open world yet. My main concern is that it could potentially hurt the mission design. I can see there being less of a focus on tightly designed/scripted levels and more of a focus on completing simple tasks and objectives within the open world.

That said im very much still excited for the game. Bring on June 7th....

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arebuckle

From what I've played, I'm considerably less pessimistic. It looks quite nice and plays brilliantly. I just wish the game didn't lock moves from the first Mirrors Edge behind XP nonsense. The stuff with the grapple hook and the runner eye thing? Those are fine behind an XP wall. But putting moves that the game itself regards as "Basic Movement" behind it? That's bloody nonsense. [Edit:I went back and played more. It's just Movement, no basic. Don't know where that came from.] The tutorial level even has a section that would be a decent tutorial for a quick turn, but that's locked off at the start. Which makes those sections of the tutorial clunky. Also. Faith should already know how to fecking roll!

And then there's the story. Hey! Did you know that the "CONGLOMERATE" are evil? Did you see the way that one cop that hit Faith and another that threatend to have her taking away to some facility? Did you see how they're tracking everyone and feeding the propaganda through devices that they have to keep on at all times? In short

There's all that and the fact that Faith is a part of the outCasts. It's the most hamfisted, eye roll inducing crap. Don't get me wrong, Mirrors Edge one did not have a good story. But it always felt like it was in the backround, just to get you from A to B. They seem to be leaning heavier into the story in Catalyst and they really shouldn't. I don't know, maybe it gets better. Not getting my hopes up though.

The open world seems okay. I was little unsure at first, but as I explored and learned the area I got pretty into it. When I reached the time trails it really clicked. It was just a feeling of "Oh yeah, running around in Mirrors Edge is pretty damn good". That was the one thing I was worried they wouldn't recapture. It left me feeling that regardless how poor the story is, the gameplay will probably be pretty good. That's all I want.

InfernoSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First impressions:

Same brightness problem from the first game. Brights are too bright, darks are too dark, even though I'm on a different TV. Otherwise it's a pretty game. I see some buildings in the distance that are super lo res, but I assume that will be fixed in the full release. Same thing with framerate.

Controls feel good in general. I don't like that they locked those basic abilities in the skill tree, but you are able to unlock them right away so it's a minor issue. Faith's animations aren't always great, her feet stick out obviously over ledges, her head feels really low to make her hands show up onscreen.

The improvements to combat might be great. The tutorial makes a big point of showing you every way you can chain into a kick and every way you can kick an enemy into something. Focus shield seems smart too.

The open world I'm not sure about. DICE is top tier when it comes to level design, in my opinion, and I think they've made a believable city for you to run around in. But whether it's actually fun to explore is going to depend on how open it really is and the level of interactivity it has. So far it feels small and segmented, and the interactivity is picking up collectables and doing time trials.

InfernoSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing with runner's vision turned off, and I'll echo the same problems mentioned above. Some side missions give little to no indication of where you're going. Give me a waypoint, a minimap, a compass, anything. Otherwise this game plays perfectly fine without runner's vision.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed the bit of it that I played, I especially enjoyed the combat, you can really work the movement stuff into some satisfying take-downs, dodging an attack, then rolling immediately into a wallrun+kick combo is preeetttyyy great.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BrainScratch

Finished the Beta, all I have left is the time trial things but I don't count those. I'm still disappointed. It's a nice game, but not a nice Mirror's Edge game. Plays very well but it's full of unnecessary clutter (in multiple ways such as visually, audibly and gameplay-wise), the whole open-word/skill-tree thing was unnecessary, story is bland and YA-like, Faith's voice actor is kinda bad, there's way too much waypoint usage (do I really need a waypoint when I'm inside a building and have to go to the room right in front of me?) and every mission so far is just "keep going forward" without the puzzle elements like the first game had. And there's also several bugs but those will most likely get fixed.

Basically, this Beta made me go for "I might even pre-order this" to "I might just wait for a big price drop".

Also, what I noticed from what I've read here and on the rest of the web, it feels like the reactions are divided in two categories:
    - if you loved the first one, you'll enjoy Catalyst but have some serious issues with it;
    - if you haven't played or thought the first one was ok but had some problems with it, you will enjoy Catalyst much more.

Oh, and for the love of god DICE, please TURN OFF THE SOUND EFFECT OF THE FUCKING SECURITY CAMERAS! In just one minute of running around the city I hear the cameras go "scanning for imprints" or whatever it is they say like 20 times or more!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By Atwa

I think this is very much a case of just making a game open world because open world games are popular.

What I liked most about hte first game, was time trials on very finely crafted linear levels. Collectibles and side quests are just not that fun in a game all about perfecting your momentum, it feels so forced. I also feel that they have locked the basic abilities from the first game insulting.

Story is god awful, it was in the first game as well but it didn't matter because they barely focused on it, this game seems to have a much larger focus on story.

Its a real shame, I love the first game and had high hopes for this..

IgnisPhaseOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I missed this being available (too obsessed with Overwatch lately). Anyone have any PC beta codes left?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.