Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 07, 2016

A reboot of the previously singleton franchise, this game features Faith using parkour in an open-world.

Mirror's Edge 2, it's not a sequel. It's a reboot.

• 69 results
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Semantics. Also who fucking cares? The story in Mirror's Edge was the worst part about it.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By novadth

As long as the level design is totally different I don't give a shit about the story in Mirror's Edge: 2.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@pillclinton said:

Calling it: Mirror's Edge: A New Faith

My guess is: Mirror's Edge: Gun Runner

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By AlexGlass

I can't imagine what it would be like to play this game with Occulus Rift. Looking forward to it.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Does anyone care? I don't remember anything about the original's story other than that the cutscenes used to convey it were terrible.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer it to be a reboot. I did not like the story in the first game which largely boiled down to "The city is too clean and ordered, fight the system" along with Faith trying to clear her sisters name by (potentially) killing untold dozens of police officers just doing their job.

I really hope there are less situations trapping you with armed guards this time, that stuff was pretty horrible especially if you are trying to not kill anyone. I recall getting pretty irritated by a segment in an enclosed parking lot which pretty much forced you to either systematically disarm them or shoot your way through.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No problem for me, I liked the gameplay and the universe (yes I even liked the guns for some weird reason), I don't really care about Faith and what the game set up for an eventual sequel.

What happened anyway? The police trained themselves to use parkour to better fight the runners, and that is pretty much it, right? Granted that set up a big war between the government and the runners, which could be fun for multiplayer.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it's just a prequel, and they're being dumb. Look, the original didn't have the best story in the world, but it is ABSURD to reboot a game that just came out a few years ago, for no good reason. Just unimaginative.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Legion_

Rebooting after one game seems odd. Anyway, who cares, the story in Mirror's Edge was craptastic.

42dustman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By 42dustman

Why the heck is everyone hating on the story and saying they don't remember it? Are y'all parrots with alzheimer or something?

For me the whole game totally just wouldn't feel the same without the awesome and resonating backstory... I mean, you play as an orphan whose parents died trying to fight the government from turning society into the totalitarian dystopia it currently is, an orphan who gets adopted by an group of experienced runners and trained in the art of parkour from an early age in order to operate as a top agent in a subversive organization. It's like Batman meets 1984 meets B13, so cool. And the best part is that this setting mix in perfectly with the gameplay, because that is what freerunning is all about to begin with; the experiencing of freedom.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why the heck is everyone hating on the story and saying they don't remember it? Are y'all parrots with alzheimer or something?

For me the whole game totally just wouldn't feel the same without the awesome and resonating backstory... I mean, you play as an orphan whose parents died trying to fight the government from turning society into the totalitarian dystopia it currently is, an orphan who gets adopted by an group of experienced runners and trained in the art of parkour from an early age in order to operate as a top agent in a subversive organization. It's like Batman meets 1984, so cool. And the best part is that this setting mix in perfectly with the gameplay, because that is what freerunning is all about to begin with; the experiencing of freedom.

Thanks for signing up to reply to a 5 month old thread, EA rep.

The story was dumb, the cutscenes were hokey. Frankly, if the game was 8 hours of that trial DLC, I would have been more fulfilled.

42dustman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By 42dustman

@ch3burashka: If I say I like the backstory I'm an EA rep? Now come on... I do think the storyline itself does somewhat derail as it progresses, but it's foundations are rock solid. If they change that in the next game it's not going to be the same. This recent trend to reboot everything, I just don't like it. I mean, if you think some franchise doesn't have a good storyline why not make a brand new and unfranchised game instead of spitting right into the canon's face.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By ch3burashka

@ch3burashka: If I say I like the backstory I'm an EA rep? Now come on... I do think the storyline itself does somewhat derail as it progresses, but it's foundations are rock solid. If they change that in the next game it's not going to be the same. This recent trend to reboot everything, I just don't like it. I mean, if you think some franchise doesn't have a good storyline why not make a brand new, disfranchised, game instead of spitting right into the canon's face.

Everything has potential, not everything lives up to it. I'm interested in where they take ME2's story, but even if it shits the bed (again) I'm happy enough to play around with the mechanics.

PS So far, you're post count is 100% ME love, and I just noticed you refer to the 'canon' of ME, which is laughable, even to a ME fan like me. Also, you misspelled your name, 420dustman.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Steadying

Eh, while it's still kinda dumb, it's better to reboot it now than to wait a few games into the series and then reboot it, pissing off anyone who was invested in the original story.

EDIT: Never noticed this was a five month old thread..

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Quickest franchise reboot?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@42dustman: I'm with you man. I love the setting and back story of the game. I think that Project Icarus vs Runners would make a pretty good multiplayer mode. The Runners would be trying to deliver the message while the Icarus would be trying to intercept the Runners. I think it'd be a real test of skill. Even more so than time trials or speed running, since it would force you to not just memorize one optimal path but rather multiple paths and how to transition from one to another faster than your opponent.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By crithon

It's so sad trying to defend this game. I don't blame you it's a nice idea in concept, but I do feel it's a bit too much money spent on development and it shows because they spent money on those horrible flash animation to patch up all of the plot problems designed by Dice's core team with it's in game cinematics.

It would do a WORLD of good if they didn't spend so much money on this game and learn what works. If they had designed a multiplayer racing game using it's FPS platofrming mechanics, it'd be 10 billion times better then sitting through horrible flash animation. What kind of moron at EA thought it was a good idea to produce a music video to a song called "Still Alive" after they helped release Portal 1 for Valve.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By Justin258

@42dustman said:

@ch3burashka: If I say I like the backstory I'm an EA rep? Now come on... I do think the storyline itself does somewhat derail as it progresses, but it's foundations are rock solid. If they change that in the next game it's not going to be the same. This recent trend to reboot everything, I just don't like it. I mean, if you think some franchise doesn't have a good storyline why not make a brand new, disfranchised, game instead of spitting right into the canon's face.

Everything has potential, not everything lives up to it. I'm interested in where they take ME2's story, but even if it shits the bed (again) I'm happy enough to play around with the mechanics.

PS So far, you're post count is 100% ME love, and I just noticed you refer to the 'canon' of ME, which is laughable, even to a ME fan like me. Also, you misspelled your name, 420dustman.

We must come up with a different acronym.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

"Alright guys, the story in the original wasn't especially well received, let's jot down some ideas to make the character and universe a little more interesting."

- Give her a rocket launcher.

- It takes place in an unnamed middle eastern country at war.

- Bigger boobs.

- Micro-transactions.

Honestly though, this isn't a big deal, no matter if the story turns out better or worse. As long as it plays and looks similar, I'm good.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AngriGhandi

I don't care about the story of the first Mirror's Edge at all! -But I really like the world and the look and the ideas and gameplay and all that. So I am pleased with this news.

It's more of an "uhh... let's try this again, fellas" reboot than your average gross Hollywood "we ran out of ideas, but can't bring ourselves to stop making money on this property for even a few years" reboot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.