Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 07, 2016

A reboot of the previously singleton franchise, this game features Faith using parkour in an open-world.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst Officially Announced

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By schlorgan

mirrorsedge.com/ has been updated with a letter from a senior team member officially announcing the game as Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. The game will be shown at EA's E3 press conferences next week.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I welcome a new ME, though I don't think a full on reboot is justified after just one game (and a good one at that). Just give me MORE ME, that's all I'd want.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I am fully onboard with a reboot as far as I personally thought the story and stuff in Mirrors Edge was kinda bad. They are bringing along the good stuff (gameplay and look) and I hope they do well with the other aspects.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

YES!

Mirror's Edge is the best thing I've ever gotten free with a video card. Absolutely love that game.

capshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess this makes sense. The first Mirror's Edge wasn't exactly known for its story so if they can do some interesting stuff by changing some of the groundwork laid out in the first game, then, sure, go ahead. I'd imagine some of the same characters would still be back, at least. I'm just really excited for more Mirror's Edge. That first game was so good, even if it was short.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By amafi

@capshot said:

I guess this makes sense. The first Mirror's Edge wasn't exactly known for its story so if they can do some interesting stuff by changing some of the groundwork laid out in the first game, then, sure, go ahead. I'd imagine some of the same characters would still be back, at least. I'm just really excited for more Mirror's Edge. That first game was so good, even if it was short.

If it does the same kind of leaderboard time trialsy thing as the first one I might just lose another month just optimizing runs, I've got some vacation time saved up.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If this turns out to be good I guess I will be going back on my never buy an EA game again thing :/

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeldh

I really hope they change the combat a lot. The rest of the game was so close to being perfect.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

On one hand, Mirror's Edge was one of my favorite games to come out of the last generation. On the other, the EA that let that game be made is almost night and day to the EA today. That was when EA had their initiative to create new and unique games, which we know they feel they got burnt on quite bad. (RIP Dead Space) I credit Mirror's Edge being so unique a lot to that. The game is really weird for a big budget release, its just a first person running game. Combat is a complete after thought and it has incredible depth to the mechanics. Anyone can clumsily run through the game and probably have fun, but when you really get deep into the time trials and try to really perfect your gameplay. It reveals a depth that is amazing to behold. It requires such precision and timely pressed button combinations that I am frankly surprised again and again that it got released in that state.

Which brings me to this. EA now seems to want to make as safe bets as possible. Which could make Mirror's Edge suffer greatly. I hope I am wrong, and its the cynic in me speaking. I am just afraid that Mirror's Edge was a one of a kind thing that can't be recaptured.

Still want to see it, and hopefully I am wrong!

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

EA is going to end up making it multiplayer, charge butt loads for DLC and if you want Faith to wear a different T-Shirt then you have to pay 5 bucks.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

That's not really a very cool name, and even worse it sounds like a reboot/prequel of how Faith become a runner and the city got painted all white or something. And even worse is that part in the PR text where they jump out in front of new gimmicks and probably combat with "we're putting stuff in here you didn't expect and wasn't in the first game". Right. That's what everyone wanted when they said "Do Mirror's Edge 2".

I'm not attached at all to the story of the first ME (the world? Yes) and I'm worried EA got too attached to it. Faith was a great character but the storytelling was very subtle, and very slight. It was the first person camera mastery which really connected you to her. Not why she became a runner. God please lord don't let that be the game. I swear if this shit starts with her family being murdered or some garbage because they couldn't run fast enough or she failed to deliver something or whatever.... ugh.

Excuse my cynicism! :S Sorry. But this is just such a non-announcement to me. What are we just reconfirming this game and having a coming out party for it? Could this not have waited a few days? I have the feeling they are getting out in front of something disappointing. Or maybe I'm just trying to save myself disappointment by inventing this crummy reality! A-hA!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

@geraltitude: If they really were that attached to the story of the last game I feel like they would have just called it Mirror's Edge 2, or be more upfront about it being a prequel. The way they've talked about it makes it sound like it's their attempt at a do-over. (Not a remake or even necessarily a reboot.) Which I guess could be good or bad.

As lomg as long as the gameplayis good and they keep the focus on the running (or at least stick to quick unarmed combat) they can really do whatever they want with the story. They could make her a robot for all I care.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I hear you want Mirror's Edge backstory! - Good news, why not check out this also announced Dark Horse novel series setting up the back story of Faith and the events leading up to Mirror's Edge Catalyst (i.e. yes, the game is focusing on her as a runner, this is the way they're doing her back story - which I for one am interested in).

Anyway, I like Mirror's Edge and think the story was interesting, but bare-bones. Knowing they aren't just making Mirror's Edge 2 and are re-teling it is amazing news to me. The execution of the ideas and concepts of the original brief were rushed and lost in execution. The whole "the runner intercepts and delivers packages" thing went from the core point of the characters, to a footnote appearing only as worthless collectables. There was a lot more lost too, so knowing they are returning to it to try and do that stuff justice sounds great to me. I don't care how interesting, aesthetically or in the overarching mythos, the world was flat in the original which made all the characters motivations unbelievable: I'm glad they aren't just trying to follow along from it.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of you guys are talking about the backstory and stuff while I'm still wondering if EA is gonna ruin yet another game with microtransactions.

On the story topic I would personally like if they go for a different and albeit more interesting(or heck even present story) plot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.