Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

Love it or Hate it: Mirror's Edge

• 86 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

There are many games out there that are often considered love or hate games, so I have decided to try a out a poll with Mirror's Edge to see what the community thinks of the game. 

I love the game and cant stop playing it but I can see why other people would hate it. 

What are your views?

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Dreamfall31

I'd say somewhere just below loving it.  I enjoy it's ideas and style but the constant trial and error does get on my nerves sometimes.  But I still fully enjoy the game itself!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not hate, but more like... dislike.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Kyreo

I really liked the idea of first person free running or parkour but the game was so damn frustrating and... blech.  It was super fun whenever I'd do and land a jump without thinking; that always made me feel like a bad ass.  Though this didn't happen very often. 

I really don't have an opinion of this game except, Meh.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scrawnto

It might be because I do some parkour in real life, but I didn't have to deal with much trial and error. It was always pretty clear to me where I was supposed to go. I do wish that there was a little more room for improvisation though.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By DoctorOptimist

I loved it, it's an acquired taste and takes patience to master it's learning curve to get the most out of it. It's a trial-and-error game, you need to learn instead of the game just spoon-feeding you to master it from the get go. It becomes satisfying once you've understand how everything works and you can play the game well, it reminds me of the first Splinter Cell in that regard. Which is another game I really enjoyed.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

Good idea. Flawed execution. 

Specifically the guns. Those fucking GUNS.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " Good idea. Flawed execution.  Specifically the guns. Those fucking GUNS. "
    The reason the gunplay wasn't enjoyable, is mainly due to the fact that the game wanted to give the player the sense that Faith is a runner and is not much of a shooter, showing that she has only basic understandings of how to use a firearm. It's really done to imersse the player, rather than a means of enjoyment. It works very much like Silent Hill 1-4.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FirePrince

I really liked it.It was something new.
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By jacdg

It's one of my favorite games of all time, so it's safe to say that I love it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @DoctorOptimist said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:
    " Good idea. Flawed execution.  Specifically the guns. Those fucking GUNS. "
    The reason the gunplay wasn't enjoyable, is mainly due to the fact that the game wanted to give the player the sense that Faith is a runner and is not much of a shooter, showing that she has only basic understandings of how to use a firearm. It's really done to imersse the player, rather than a means of enjoyment. It works very much like Silent Hill 1-4. "
    I know that. Guess I should've rephrased that as "Getting shot by fucking GUNS."
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @eroticfishcake: I see, I thought you were complaining about the gunplay.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By haggis

I didn't hate it. I played the demo and the gameplay didn't really suit me. I've seen a lot of people rail against the game, but I didn't think it was horrible. It took some risks. I think they only moderately paid off. Certainly, though, it deserves to be grouped with other FPS-style games like Portal that try to innovate within what (let's be honest) has become a rather tired genre. It didn't succeed like Portal, but the mechanics were certainly intriguing, if not as refined as I'd like.

Sad thing is that I'd love to see a sequel, if for no other reason than to see if they can improve on it. I'd probably give it another shot.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @haggis: Mirror's Edge is more of a first-person platformer as Portal is a first-person puzzler, not so much in the FPS category. However, you can play it as a first-person shooter, but it's not enjoyable nor was it intended to be. Also, EA DICE are currently working on a sequel as Mirror's Edge is intended to be a trilogy.
    SashaNYI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SashaNYI

Love it.....very unique game.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I loved it and I didn't often have trouble with it.  Getting shot was rarely a problem for me except for one level where you were forced to beat up all of the guards in a closed environment, but I really enjoyed the game overall.  Too bad it was so short.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bionicicide

I hated the cartoon cutscenes and being forced to use firearms as the parkour was welcomed in the first-person genre, although I'd rather of been in a city that has more than 10 textures. :/ Not exactly losing sleep over a sequel.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By haggis
    @DoctorOptimist:  That's what I meant. They both took first-person games and put a new spin on them. Before Portal and Mirror's Edge, there was very little other than "shooters" from the FP perspective. Still, both have guns of sorts, so still loosely fit in the "shooter" genre, though the point of the shooting is a bit different than your usual FPS game. "First-person platformer" and "first-person puzzler" as categories didn't really exist before those two games.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Metroid545

Woah I expect hate to be winning, I despise this game its so horrible

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jadeskye

One of my favourite games of all time. Period.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Love it, the pc version is like a fps game where you can do parkour at the same time using the mouse and keyboard. Also the graphics, for the pc version, looks fantastic.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eternitymemory

I rented the game but didn't finish it. From what I've played, my opinion is somewhere above "Meh" and below "Love it".  Once I have some cash I'll probably download it, and I'm definitely interested in playing a sequel. 

Buttonbasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Buttonbasher

I love it. I hope the sequel will stay first person though. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is good enough third person parkour but what made Mirrors Edge fresh and cool was the first person camera perspective. I wouldn't be interested in a sequel that was third person.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Other than one specific room that took me about twenty infuriating minutes to get through, loved it.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By tomance

I really enjoyed the game.  There hasn't been an announcement of a sequel(rumors but nothing official it seems) which is very disappointing. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder
    @haggis said:

"First-person platformer" and " first-person puzzler" as categories didn't really exist before those two games. "

There were plenty of "first person puzzlers" beforehand... Myst being a fairly popular example.

Anyway, about Mirror's Edge, the combat was awful and horribly shoehorned into the game. It also made no sense for Faith to go around shooting a bunch of dudes all over the place. So, aside from the that:

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @haggis: They're mix between genres, carry little and many of every genre they represent. Mirror's Edge is primarily a platformer as it's core gameplay is more focused on platforming than gunplay, and Portal is mainly about solving puzzles with light combat elements, such as deactivating turrets and the fact that you have a gun that shoots Portals.  
    grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By grayfox1210

With the exception to one section of the game where I honestly did not know where to go while people were chasing me, I thought it was an awesome game.  Once you know where everything is and how to use the environment, it can be a very fun game.  It's so gratifying doing all of the movements consistently in a level.  The only thing I really don't like about the game is that you can essentially bunny hop, ruining the time trials mode if you want to hit that top spot.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By haggis
    @BeachThunder: Myst was first-person, but not the same kind of first person. It was static, for instance. Even later games which dabbled in 3D (usually panorama-style) still used node-based navigation. When full 3D came on the scene in the 90s, it was heavily dominated by gun-heavy games. Mirror's Edge and Portal both took the action gameplay (certainly not what you see in Myst) and gave it form and function without guns in ways that hadn't been done. Mirror's Edge didn't pull it off quite as well as Portal, but it still deserves some props for trying.

@DoctorOptimist: All I was saying was that they took the first-person perspective and did something with it other than shooting. Up until then, first-person perspective games were all about the gunplay. Both games still dabble in it, but yes, you're right that they aren't primarily shooters ... which was my original point to begin with.
    Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ktargo

I enjoyed it, but I especially enjoyed the Time Trials. My times aren't all that high on the leaderboards but I had a lot of fun watching ghosts and trying out different paths to beat my friends' times. Added a fair amount of replay value onto a fairly short campaign.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @haggis: I know and I understand what you're saying, I was giving out my point of view and perspective of how people see both games. There was this one licensed game called: The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" that was almost entirely played in a first-person perspective and it mixed many different genre and sub-genres. Such as; stealth. adventure, fighting, and shooting, it managed to expertly execute all of those genres well. It was an action/adventure game in a first-person view, much like how Mirror's Edge is first-person platformer and Portal is a first-person puzzler.  

Also, if you haven't played Escape for Butcher Bay, I highly recommend you to do it soon. It's an amazing game that's slowly being forgotten, probably due to how bad the movie was and how disappointing the sequel was too.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zitosilva

I really really like. I recognize every single flaw and mistake that the game has, but still it felt fresh and unique, wich made me thoroughly enjoy it. I hope that a sequel end up being made, because it has a high chance of being extremely good.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BeachThunder
    @haggis:  Well, what about this? o:
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By swoxx

i never played it, which might be quite undignified of me, or so 

also, quest complete :>

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Von

I hated it at first and wondered why the hell I spent hardearned bucks on it, but kept at it and then one day it just snapped into place and I've loved it ever since. I think it was after I managed to disarm 6 guys in a row and then make an utterly cool retreat from the area that did it. A true "whoa!" moment.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I went ahead and voted "loved it", but the truth is that I was kind of disappointed. 

Going into Mirror's Edge, I was under the impression that the game was about momentum and moving forward. No matter what was going on, no matter what crazy shenanigans you and Faith were up to, you had to keep gaining momentum and keep moving forward.  

The problem with this understanding of Mirror's Edge is that there are many points in the final game where you need to stop and look around, the first-person view often limiting your understanding of the environment around you.  If they could've tightened that up and not dropped the player into arenas of death in lieu of creative boss fights, I feel the game would've been much stronger for it. 

That said, I still enjoyed it. Wasn't worth $60, but it was pretty good.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Marcsman

I hate it
    Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Ross

I love it.  I was horrifically awful at time trials but I just found all of the parkour gameplay great.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By haggis
    @DoctorOptimist:  I'm aware of Riddick. I played it when it came out. It was still a game that focused on melee combat and a lot of gunplay. Which Mirror's Edge did not. Rather than make the violence the focal point, Mirror's Edge went a different direction.

@BeachThunder: RealMyst wasn't conceived as a true-3D first-person game. It's a remake of a non-3D game. I'm talking creative ideas within the genre, not imports of already-proven ideas. Besides, RealMyst looked horrible compared to the real one, and didn't play as well either. Beyond that, go back and read what I wrote. I wasn't speaking categorically, but generally. I didn't say there were none, just that no one had really tried to innovate in the first-person genre much before that. Which is true. It's only been this last console generation that we've seen true cross-genre hybrid games. But Portal and Mirror's Edge took one step further than the rest. But it's definitely where things are going.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BeachThunder
    @haggis: Erp, sorry, I really shouldn't have ever brought Myst up D: I knew what you meant; I just wanted to say that non-shooter first person perspective isn't exactly something new. Both Portal and Mirror's Edge are up there with some of my favourite games and I would love to see more stuff in a similar vain. A ME sequel would be awesome if they worked on ironing out some the issues of the original.
    Avatar image for deactivated-63aed1f3cc082
    deactivated-63aed1f3cc082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it.  I really got into this game, though I definitely see and understand some of the criticism.  Though, I really don't like the speed runs, because I'm not so hot on those.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kr3lian

I love it because it is a fresh take on an oldschool style of gaming.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Liked the concept but the controls of the jumping and the combat and the doing things left me wanting for improvements should there be a sequel.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By X19

Love the game working my way through the time trials atm

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By babblinmule

It was easily my favourite game of 2008 so..... love it!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By korwin

Great game, the fact that there was an achievment/trophy for finishing it without killing anyone with a weapon was neat.  Game really shines on the PC though, the smoother framerate and quicker more precise controls made for a much more enjoyable experience.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gargantuan

Loved it, played through it twice, first normal and then hard. Never used a firearm.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By nukesniper

I loved Mirror's Edge. It was always the game that a lot of people had issues with that I understood, but didn't quite agree with.

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SavageM2

I really loved the game. Played it quite a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.