Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

Mirror's Edge Truly is Exhilarating

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

Edited By sup909

I started playing Mirror's Edge this past weekend and I think I am about half way through the game at this point. I have such a love/hate relationship happening with it. On the one hand the game is brilliant. The world is well crafted; minimalist but vibrant in color and I like the aesthetic they chose with no people except the police. The puzzle solving is also fantastic and akin to Portal. In fact I think the games hold a lot of aesthetic similarities to  each other. Both are very lonely set in stark worlds.  

While Mirror's Edge certainly has it's design problems, namely the combat system and the frustration of adding shooting to the puzzle elements, it nails it on the adrenaline factor.  Once you get the platforming down you can really get momentum going and it is satisfying to string together some parkour moves. I have to admit that this is the first game in a long while though that actually got my heart racing. While doing the puzzle solving with the police shooting at you can be maddening, simply running away from them is an exhilarating experience. My hear was racing and I was ducking through hallways and the roof tops, making a turn left and then right and dodging. It was incredibly well executed.  

Two particular instances in the game worked out extremely well. Slight spoiler ahead. 

One occurred right after a subway train crash. I had to jump off the back of the train and run towards a door in the tunnel as another train raced towards me. I have to literally run towards the speeding train and beat it to the door. The small sequence got both my girlfriend and I going that we both were yelling and screaming. When I finally made it through the door there was a collective sigh of relief in the room. That was amazing!!!! 

The other occurred when I was running from some soldier's who looked like runners. This sequence was different, but the game laid out a clear path that forced you to execute all of your moves and really keep your momentum going to escape.  The runners were right on you the entire time, but once you nailed that sequence you felt like a million dollars.   

Frustrating at times, but I haven't ever I think played a game that got my adrenaline going like this one. I can't wait for the sequel. 

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sup909

I started playing Mirror's Edge this past weekend and I think I am about half way through the game at this point. I have such a love/hate relationship happening with it. On the one hand the game is brilliant. The world is well crafted; minimalist but vibrant in color and I like the aesthetic they chose with no people except the police. The puzzle solving is also fantastic and akin to Portal. In fact I think the games hold a lot of aesthetic similarities to  each other. Both are very lonely set in stark worlds.  

While Mirror's Edge certainly has it's design problems, namely the combat system and the frustration of adding shooting to the puzzle elements, it nails it on the adrenaline factor.  Once you get the platforming down you can really get momentum going and it is satisfying to string together some parkour moves. I have to admit that this is the first game in a long while though that actually got my heart racing. While doing the puzzle solving with the police shooting at you can be maddening, simply running away from them is an exhilarating experience. My hear was racing and I was ducking through hallways and the roof tops, making a turn left and then right and dodging. It was incredibly well executed.  

Two particular instances in the game worked out extremely well. Slight spoiler ahead. 

One occurred right after a subway train crash. I had to jump off the back of the train and run towards a door in the tunnel as another train raced towards me. I have to literally run towards the speeding train and beat it to the door. The small sequence got both my girlfriend and I going that we both were yelling and screaming. When I finally made it through the door there was a collective sigh of relief in the room. That was amazing!!!! 

The other occurred when I was running from some soldier's who looked like runners. This sequence was different, but the game laid out a clear path that forced you to execute all of your moves and really keep your momentum going to escape.  The runners were right on you the entire time, but once you nailed that sequence you felt like a million dollars.   

Frustrating at times, but I haven't ever I think played a game that got my adrenaline going like this one. I can't wait for the sequel. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.