Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mixer Integration

Concept »

In-game integration with the Mixer live streaming service from Microsoft.

Mixer is shutting down on July 22 and will redirect to Facebook Gaming

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Microsoft has announced that its streaming service Mixer will shut down on July 22 and redirect to Facebook Gaming as part of a partnership between the two companies.

I'm a little sad to see Mixer go because I thought the platform was pretty cool. They also clearly put a lot of money into this thing with the high profile "acquisitions" that they made over the last year. I wish the service had lived on, if only to spare us from reading about how exciting it is to partner with Mark Zuckerberg's weapon of mass destruction.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

That's interesting. I wonder if people who signed contracts with Mixer are getting bought out, or just SOL for the remaining balance. Imagine signing a $2M contract for 3 years, only getting 1 year, a reduced follower count and now have to move platforms.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ginormous76: Mixer is a subsidiary of Microsoft, and I would imagine that Microsoft is not interested in pissing off a bunch of high profile influencers. It seems pretty likely that even if the contracts are with Mixer itself and not Microsoft that these people will get paid. Microsoft is currently the second largest company in the world by market cap and is not shutting down.

I'm kind of surprised that they're doing this. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of admitting defeat and treating Mixer as the Zune of streaming services (which it kind of was) but they gave it a lot less time than I expected. Maybe Twitch is just that dominant or maybe they're expecting more out of this Facebook partnership but Microsoft hasn't tended to cut bait on stuff this quickly in the past. Even the Zune lasted longer than Mixer did!

It's too bad for the people affected directly and for viewers who liked Mixer. I can't say I used the service, but I avoid anything on Facebook out of principle so I definitely won't be using it now, and it's always good to have alternatives to the market leader because competition stimulates innovation.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By NeoCalypso

@ginormous76 said:

That's interesting. I wonder if people who signed contracts with Mixer are getting bought out, or just SOL for the remaining balance. Imagine signing a $2M contract for 3 years, only getting 1 year, a reduced follower count and now have to move platforms.

Facebook apparently offered them to continue the contract and some of them declined so Microsoft had to buy them out apparently.

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
    deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Man this is a serious blow to me. I only stream on Mixer as means to privately have some conversation with my friends while they game in a format that used to be ad free and surfaced on friend's Xbox dashboard pretty seamlessly. It is so well integrated into the Xbox that i can walk all of my friends through it.

Plus with backward compatibility being a thing and HDCP keeping me from using older consoles I was content with never streaming Shadow of the Colossus or older Tony Hawk game through my PS3 or PS4 because there was the hope that Series X would bring in more and more, if not the complete collection, of the xbox library.

I haven't used Facebook since the Social Network movie came out and even that was a little late to the death of Facebook for me.

I enjoyed the anonymity and low viewership of my feeds. After i realized I didn't have an angle, nor a desire to become the next big thing or meet random new people that were 5 years younger than i should legally be conversing with i found peace. I was content telling friends to watch me stream PUBG or my latest endeavor.. stream the PSOne Classic and Sega Genesis Classic because those are the only systems that jive with my capture card.

Question? Are there services where i can stream to, that are not youtube? I'm thinking of patronizing Squarespace and using the code Bombcast. If i had a website can i set up a stream to that or am i looking to pay beaucoup money for that added feature? I just want to couch game with friends. I don't need Facebook ads or someone tracking me down to DOX me because mixer and xbox live are literally the sole interactions i have on the internet, besides Giantbomb forum posts... gulp!!

More importantly. How does this work for Ninja. I assumed he was going to be a paid shill for the next Halo and Series X itself. What are the mandates on him being on a non-exclusive-to-a-system platform. Did he ever play PS4 on Mixer? So many questions. *Saw the quote about Shroud and Ninja being bought out.. still a good though exercise*

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PuppyKisses

You can "reset" your Mixer account to delete everything but your login credentials if you don't want your info transferred to FB. As Jeff mentioned on twitter, if this is a sign of some kind of XBOX / FB integration to come I for one will be deleting as much of my XBOX/MS account as possible and purchasing a PS5 instead of my planned XBOX-SX.

Good on the streamers that were able get bought out.

Too bad for the mid-tier streamers that have cultivated a fanbase. They don't have much time to decide where they are going to move and if those fans will follow.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can "reset" your Mixer account to delete everything but your login credentials if you don't want your info transferred to FB. As Jeff mentioned on twitter, if this is a sign of some kind of XBOX / FB integration to come I for one will be deleting as much of my XBOX/MS account as possible and purchasing a PS5 instead of my planned XBOX-SX.

Good on the streamers that were able get bought out.

Too bad for the mid-tier streamers that have cultivated a fanbase. They don't have much time to decide where they are going to move and if those fans will follow.

I do feel bad for anyone negatively effected by this, but surely nobody is surprised Mixer has struggled since inception and not even spending tens of millions on star streamers has helped at all, the writing was definitely on the wall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you imagine the series X if facebook gets its claws into that UI? It's bad enough that they mandate we use a microsoft email address.

Sometimes i want to use an email address that isnt 'real' but i actually have login credentials for. Having 2 xbox live accounts to get free 360 games in case system link games are made available (like the Gears series) or if I want to loan a system to a friend made perfect sense.

Hell, i was even thinking about getting a third hotmail account so i could retire my other systems away from they prying eyes of Microsoft and just have them as offline boxes that never see the internet while my Series-X would be the only system that dealt with any delisting shenanigans (though i imagine there's probably some dooms day clock that requires my system to be online by 2030 otherwise it wipes all my games because they're probably pirated.. fight me in court if you want)

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini said:

I do feel bad for anyone negatively effected by this, but surely nobody is surprised Mixer has struggled since inception and not even spending tens of millions on star streamers has helped at all, the writing was definitely on the wall.

I am a little surprised, as other people have pointed out, I knew Mixer was struggling, but given the amount of money and how tightly it was integrated into the Xbox ecosystem, I would have thought there would have been given a longer runway. You don't usually drop 30 million on somebody (plus the millions on everybody else) and then kill the entire service 10 months later.

Given the sheer chaos at Mixer management though, I wonder if this was less a financial decision and more a political one. In any event, Microsoft revenue was on the order of $125 billion dollars in fiscal 2019 - writing off 50-75 million is a rounding error. The real losers are all the people who just lost their jobs, either within mixer itself or the streamers who were just starting to build an audience.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlefish: I wouldn't be surprised if Covid 19 speed things up since the lockdown every streaming platform got a big boost apart from Mixer, after spending all that money with no return it was toast.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: As sketchy as it seems, I would probably also take the now buyout and then go sign a new contract with someone.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and purchasing a PS5 instead of my planned XBOX-SX.

Genuine question, why were you planning to get a Series X?

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PuppyKisses

@ginormous76:

I prefer the exclusives, the UI, I already own a massive amount of games through the service which I can play on the SX, I prefer the controller, and I have Xbox Live and game pass until May 2022. Also, I absolutely hated the PS4's long downloads followed by long installs.

All that being said, if XBOX integrates with FB I will delete my XBOX account and buy a PS5.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Backwards compatibility.
      • I'd like to maybe just play games that people recommend instead of watching streams and assuming the new hotness.. is the new hotness.
      • i'd rather play a game like Brute Force than the new spiderman because the discourse on that game is done. The new spiderman will probably have some sort of controversy, will have gate-kept paid for content, forced in multiplayer aspects, delays, tons of quicktime events, and more design-game-by-numbers like most games designed in a focus group. And, turns out the director probably has some problematic twitter posts.
      • any game i own will work (presumably) day one when i attach my harddive or insert the disc.
      • all those Games with Gold i received but never finished will magically be available once i sign up for Gamepass (day one of my purchase).
      • Knowing that i'll have a ton of Series-X developed games on gamepass day 1 means i get to see if all the hype even matters with a small fee.. instead of buying tons of games on PS5 wondering if next gen even holds any promise.

2. Peripherals will work across generations

• The PSOne classic controller just needs analog sticks and rumble and it is feature complete so all these promises of new controls (wii, switch, touchpad) are just reason to inspire an upgrade.
      • Xbox Elite controller has days worth of battery and a charging pad that makes sense.
      3. Mixer
      • Lower viewership means i could scan through the entire stream catalog and see nobody was streaming Metal Gear Solid. It was nice being the only one streaming a game. If im watching a stream i'm there for the game, not for the 'personality.' i dont watch 'The Bachelor' for the acting. Or do I?
      • Couple of button presses and i'm streaming.
      • The embarassment that is Twitch's homepage and it's entire aesthetic turns me off

4. Gamepass

• I'm not a big fan of subscriptions but if i have gamepass and my friends do then i know we have the same games and i dont have to beg, borrow, and steal for them to play Gears 5 with me or to try out some old fun game that we long since parted ways with.

5. VR

• Sometimes coming late to the technology party means you get to rip off all the better ideas and brings subtle game changers.

6. Xbox Live

• Really never had a problem with the service and the fact most 360 games still have online components (the non-EAs of the world) means i dont have to always suck at the teet of games that are 2 or 3 years old. I'm tired of chasing my next high.

7. Sony over use of 3rd Person Action and I've fallen for 1 too many esoteric Japanese developed games (in the bad sense)

• I realized alot of the people that i read reviews for are the people that enjoy hundreds of hours in jrpgs, WoW, Dynasty Warrior, collecting 100 clorax seeds, and some of the cringe that comes from Japan. i've learned to read a 9.0 on playstation is equivalent to my 6.0 on Xbox. Where a 9.0 on Xbox is a solid 9.0 for me.

8. Achievements

• Achievements have accurately recorded my life over the last 10 years better than anything. What was i doing with my life. Well look at the games i was playing. Having that archive is amazing. Though offline achievements is a little thing i'd like them to rectify and Playstation has it. However, XBox does have rewards (aka money) attached to getting certain achievement attached to gamepass rewards so I might not get my wish.

9. Games with Gold

• I really want to see how far they are really willing to go on the free 360 games? 5 years from now are they still giving me 2 monthly 360 games to keep forever with no duplication? Count me in because i own alot but i don't own everything and i would love to play stuff that isnt widely available (like Too Human used to be) or i found myself too cool for like Sneak King.

10. My Library

• I already own almost 500 games between all platforms i really dont need the next system it's not like much new is going to come of this next generation. Last generation's defining feature has proven to be the Fornite formula. If PUBG had been the prevailing style of online game then things might be different and i might be annoyed with that too, though the Rainbow Six and the forever game just makes getting into a game a day late a waste of time.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By frytup

Hmm, you can't actually delete the Mixer app from Xbox. Let's hope that changes quick.

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PuppyKisses
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

While I’m not a fan of Facebook myself I think people are starting to overreact a little. If they do integrate Facebook again into their consoles just like it was back in the 360 days then it’s probably just going to be for streaming. No one is going to force a Facebook login on you instead of a GamerTag and FB games as a service will probably live as a separate entity just like Mixer has up till now that no one used. To be honest if they did force a FB login it would at least get me away from logging into my Xbox account using a Hotmail account.

No need to burn your console just yet. Your ISP and your mobile phone carrier along with Google are all collecting data on you just as much as Facebook is.

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PuppyKisses

@humanity: You are not wrong about the data collection. Personally though, I find FB's transgressions much worse. I get that I am actively being datamined at all times, but what FB is doing with that data, IMO is making society much, much worse.

It's a personal choice, and I'd make it for the same reason I removed myself from FB and IG years ago.

and....

Just a note about how far this integration will go:

"Transitioning the Mixer community is a key part of a broader effort that Xbox and Facebook Gaming are embarking on,* bringing new experiences and opportunities to Facebook, where every month more than 700 million people play a game, watch a gaming video, or interact in a gaming Group."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/22/bringing-more-players-into-our-gaming-vision/

* emphasis mine

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Agree with Humanity. Phil Spencer is a smart guy, he knows how the general gaming public perceives facebook. If you don't want to use facebook, you won't have to.

And if your reaction to this news is to write a huge list of why Xbox rulez and Playstation Sux, you need to get out of the console war soldier.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: It's informed buying. At this point this isnt my first DVD player, Blu-ray player, wireless internet system, HD Blu-Ray, COD maps first, or exclusive rights to the Simurilan. There is perpetual parity between all these machines now (current generation) and damn sure into the next. If you are that entranced by content from developers who are often times the same company in title alone through turnover, layoffs, and the real talent being in cubicle 6A then can i get an advance on a story i have about post-apocalypse America starring a young girl. It almost writes itself. What they do with impassible doors/walkways and scripted events will shock and amaze you. You'll think the doors are passable and events arent scripted. The way they signpost climbable objects is the most seamlessly of seamless it's like im not even playing a ps2 game with uprezzed graphics.

AntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: Why are you turning a topic about Mixer moving to Facebook into a clouded fan boy response about Xbox vs PlayStation? A well written response, but fan boy in it’s delivery none the less.

hughj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more receptive to Facebook Gaming (and Facebook in general) if not for the whole 'real name' aspect to the accounts. You shouldn't have to dox yourself just to broadcast a video game or share something on a Facebook group.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

@puppykisses: I hear ya. Recently a friend of my was having a birthday and since we are social distancing asked us to donate to her Animal Shelter organization instead through Facebooks donation thing. I wanted to help since that organization is where I got my pet from, but man I did not want to tie either my actual Credit Card or PayPal into Facebook. So I get the apprehension.

I can only hope that it will be limited to the game streaming stuff. It would be such a colossal blunder for Microsoft to partner up with Facebook in any seriously integrated way. Hopefully they learned enough from this entire generation to read the room and see the responses to the Mixer transition and draw the proper conclusions. What a shame it would be for them to launch another console and be 10 steps behind the competition again battling to regain goodwill from the very start.

I love Game Pass and I generally I think Microsofts Xbox division has done some excellent work over the years so I'm really rooting for them especially as Sony has been slow to really implement any client friendly changes to their ecosystem.. but man for like 10 small good things Microsoft does they sure do know how to then do 2 really awful things that set them back even further than they were before.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Can you imagine the series X if facebook gets its claws into that UI? It's bad enough that they mandate we use a microsoft email address.

I'm still using one of my gmail accounts to sign into my microsoft account. Might be because I registered before they introduced that requirement?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: For other platforms to stream on - there's obviously Twitch. But you can also stream to Discord if you want to keep it private and just for your friends. It works very well, there's almost no latency compared to Twitch even at the free level of Discord.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be interesting to see how much Facebook Gaming pushes xCloud and at what cost, I doubt we'll see a Facebook required login for anything, but god I hope Series X doesn't have a unremovable Facebook Gaming tab on the dash.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline said:

I'm still using one of my gmail accounts to sign into my microsoft account. Might be because I registered before they introduced that requirement?

There is a way to add different email addresses to one Microsoft account as an alias and use those as the log in. I have a hotmail, outlook and gmail all tied to one account, and you can set the gmail as the sign in if you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.