Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MLB 12: The Show

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

Sony's baseball sim for the 2012 MLB season.

Jose Bautista: Canadian MLB 12 Cover

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JCTango

Just found out that MLB 12 is going to feature Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays as their Canadian cover! Pretty happy about this, since I don't think there has ever been a Toronto-based sports team athlete on the cover of any major games.

He led MLB in 2011 with 43 HR and 54 HR in 2010.

Adrian Gonzalez of the Boston Red Sox will be on the American one.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fini_fly

Sweet!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Do Canadians like baseball?

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By bigsmoke77

Kinda wish they would give him the cover in NA but they probably think that is to big of a risk.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fini_fly

@bigsmoke77 said:

Kinda wish they would give him the cover in NA but they probably think that is to big of a risk.

I don't think they would ever do that for any Blue Jay.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By FrankCanada97

@Claude said:

Only if we're winning.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
    @FrankCanada97 said:

@Claude said:

Only if we're winning.

I'm a pretty big baseball fan and thought it sucked when Montreal lost its team. But there again, no one was showing up to the ball games. I'm not sure why, could have been political, but they didn't. Kind of reminded me of the Florida Marlins, but now they have a new park to play in and a new name.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uniform
    @Claude said:
    In Ontario we do, but if we're talking the entire country, it would go something like Hockey>Football>Basketball>Baseball. When I was a kid, baseball was a fixture in life. My family is crazy about baseball. Not only did I grow up playing in school and recreational, going to Jay games was a regular thing, and just about everyone I know has been to at least a couple games. Growing up we even attended the games of our city's semi-pro team in the Intercounty Baseball League.

I am happy about this news. In fact, I believe Bautista deserves to be on everyone's game cover, but I do understand why he won't.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Claude
    @uniform: When you say football, do you mean soccer? I do know there's a Canadian Football League and it's pretty big.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Nice, Adrian Gonzalez on the American box art!

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uniform
    @Claude

No, not soccer, Football. We have our own Football league, so naturally it's a big fixture in our country.  I'm not sure where soccer fits on the list, but I'm sure it's somewhat popular here. Edit: We also call it soccer, so it can't be that popular. heh

Also, god damn, I wish you didn't bring up my favorite team. I still occasionally wear my two Montreal jerseys. I was devastated when we lost them to D.C. It still doesn't sit well with me after all this time.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Claude
    @uniform

Sorry, but being a big Atlanta Braves fan we saw some good battles with the Expos. Andre Dawson still remains one of my favorite players. Not to mention Pedro Martinez, damn, could he throw a baseball. 

It does suck. That team just seemed to be done wrong.
    Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wikitoups

I remember a looonnngg time ( when i was in first grade?) our class would listen to either 91 or 92 world series.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uniform
    @Claude said:
    @uniform:   Sorry, but being a big Atlanta Braves fan we saw some good battles with the Expos. Andre Dawson still remains one of my favorite players. Not to mention Pedro Martinez, damn, could he throw a baseball.   It does suck. That team just seemed to be done wrong.
    That GD strike. Montreal was going to win it that year (94), I felt it in my bones. Respect to you for the Expo players love. I got nothing but respect for your Braves. In the nineties they were to be feared. My favorite player is Larry Walker, former Expo and Canadian born. It does suck, but it is what it is. I don't dwell on it or make excuses. I jumped ship to the AL afterward. I miss the NL.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uniform
    @Wikitoups said:

I remember a looonnngg time ( when i was in first grade?) our class would listen to either 91 or 92 world series.

I was in high school for this. It was a great time in Ontario. Baseball hype engulfed our school in 92-93. The Jays won the world series back to back. The first unfortunately was against Claude's Braves.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Claude
    @uniform: No joke. The Braves had nothing on the 94 Expo team. When 95 came, the players were sold and the party was pretty much over.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese

@uniform said:

@Claude said:
    In Ontario we do, but if we're talking the entire country, it would go something like Hockey>Football>Basketball>Baseball. When I was a kid, baseball was a fixture in life. My family is crazy about baseball. Not only did I grow up playing in school and recreational, going to Jay games was a regular thing, and just about everyone I know has been to at least a couple games. Growing up we even attended the games of our city's semi-pro team in the Intercounty Baseball League. I am happy about this news. In fact, I believe Bautista deserves to be on everyone's game cover, but I do understand why he won't.

And people from Ontario wonder everyone else hates them. Good job making stuff up about the rest of Canada. Baseball is huge in the west and easily the second most popular sport behind hockey. It's also big in Quebec but Football is definitely number 2. I've yet to live anywhere in Canada where anyone cared about Basketball at all.

@Claude said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

@Claude said:

Only if we're winning.

I'm a pretty big baseball fan and thought it sucked when Montreal lost its team. But there again, no one was showing up to the ball games. I'm not sure why, could have been political, but they didn't. Kind of reminded me of the Florida Marlins, but now they have a new park to play in and a new name.

I'm not ever trying to be overly dramatic when I say this but they played in the worst stadium ever built to watch a baseball game. The Olympic stadium not only ruined the expos it fucked the entire province financially for years. It ended up costing something ridiculous like 1.5 billion and they didn't pay it off until 2006.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I would think Canadians would want the best Canadian in the MLB today, Joey Votto. 
    Though I get the feeling no one outside of Cincinnati gives a shit about the Reds.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mosespippy

I enjoy baseball but we don't have any games on network TV here in Newfoundland. You need cable or a satellite to watch so I didn't see a game for about a decade until I stumbled across MLB.TV's free game of the day last season.

@Hunkulese said:

@Claude said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

@Claude said:

Only if we're winning.

I'm not ever trying to be overly dramatic when I say this but they played in the worst stadium ever built to watch a baseball game. The Olympic stadium not only ruined the expos it fucked the entire province financially for years. It ended up costing something ridiculous like 1.5 billion and they didn't pay it off until 2006.

The worst thing about Olympic Stadium is that it's built in such a way that it can't just be imploded. It'll cost as much to tear down piece by piece as it did to build it. The SkyDome is also a terrible stadium IMO. When I see the stadiums in San Fransisco, Tampa Bay, Texas and so on I feel bad for Toronto fans who have to play in that ugly ball park.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uniform
    @Hunkulese said:

And people from Ontario wonder everyone else hates them. Good job making stuff up about the rest of Canada. Baseball is huge in the west and easily the second most popular sport behind hockey. It's also big in Quebec but Football is definitely number 2. I've yet to live anywhere in Canada where anyone cared about Basketball at all.
    What the..? I didn't make anything up. What exactly ruffled your feathers here, my rankings? I spoke for Ontario, because that's where I've lived my life up to this point. The ranks were based on an internet search for the most popular sports in the entire country, and the pattern for quite a few websites seemed to follow Hockey>Football>Basketball, again, for the entire country. I never spoke for Quebec, British Columbia, etc etc, because I don't know how those provinces rank them. Sure, the ranks change if we're focused on a particular province, but we're talking the entire country.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'm pretty happy with the cover, got both the PlayStation 3 and Vita copies for Jose Bautista in stereo.

cav86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cav86

Either put him on all your covers or none of your covers. Before people come on here to claim I'm defending Bautista, I'm actually a Yankee fan. I just think the developers should have more confidence in its product instead of pandering to Canadians with this move

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By evanbower

@uniform said:

@Hunkulese said:

What the..? I didn't make anything up. What exactly ruffled your feathers here, my rankings? I spoke for Ontario, because that's where I've lived my life up to this point. The ranks were based on an internet search for the most popular sports in the entire country, and the pattern for quite a few websites seemed to follow Hockey>Football>Basketball, again, for the entire country. I never spoke for Quebec, British Columbia, etc etc, because I don't know how those provinces rank them. Sure, the ranks change if we're focused on a particular province, but we're talking the entire country.

I'd say your ranking sounds pretty accurate for Nova Scotia where I'm from, and DEFINITELY for B.C, which I've moved to, where football is even more popular than it is on the east coast.

nachokicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By nachokicks
    No Caption Provided

ahem @JCTango:

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By JCTango

@nachokicks said:

No Caption Provided

ahem @JCTango:

Doh! :O

chazzi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By chazzi27

I kind of wish they had just made him to cover for everyone. It's about (or is it aboot?) time a player for a canadian team makes it (outside of Jerome Iginla in 2003) as a cover athlete. And I freaking hate Adrian Gonzalez but I don't have a printer so I can't just use a fan created cover :-(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.