Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

anyone playing the pc version?

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dizzyhippos

So, is anyone playing the pc version or did that boycott actually happen and there's no one playing?

also people need to stop raging on the amazon reviews

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Yup, I've seen many thousand players online in the PC version.  
    They're just not as vocal because they actually enjoy the game. 
    Heck even some of my friends who were all "my ball's haven't dropped and I'm not gonna waste my parents money on this shitty game" are playing it and having fun with it.  
    Funny how that works

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

Well if it's like every other online petition.... then yes of course it worked

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dizzyhippos

That was the one thing I was worried about, I didn't want to get this if no one was playing it online.

Also if you take a real look at it any time a server gets over 24ish people ether A. the maps are to big and there is way to much time between fire fights, or B. there are to many people on a small map and its more blind luck then skill

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Dizzyhippos said:
    " That was the one thing I was worried about, I didn't want to get this if no one was playing it online.  Also if you take a real look at it any time a server gets over 24ish people ether A. the maps are to big and there is way to much time between fire fights, or B. there are to many people on a small map and its more blind luck then skill "
    Well, with no dedicated servers, if at least 24 people buy it for the PC you should have a full game.
    capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By capt_ventris

I picked it up for PC. Quite like the IW Net.  Though my problem is the single player game keeps crashing to desktop

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just playing the single player, graphics are incredible with the texture and other settings set to extra. It's sharp and one of the best looking games i've ever seen.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

i might get for ps3. pc seems dead.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " @Dizzyhippos said:
    " That was the one thing I was worried about, I didn't want to get this if no one was playing it online.  Also if you take a real look at it any time a server gets over 24ish people ether A. the maps are to big and there is way to much time between fire fights, or B. there are to many people on a small map and its more blind luck then skill "
    Well, with no dedicated servers, if at least 24 people buy it for the PC you should have a full game. "
    hey this sound stupid but need quick answer. whats dedicated server mean?

is it mean the game have build-in game-room for players? and if no dedicated server..... means the players gotta host their own server in their computer to let others play?
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By VWGTI

I have it on the PC and I'm loving it. I much prefer the new match-making system. It makes things much easier for me. :)

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @AnnouncerGXZ said:
    " @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " @Dizzyhippos said:
    Well, with no dedicated servers, if at least 24 people buy it for the PC you should have a full game. "
    hey this sound stupid but need quick answer. whats dedicated server mean?  is it mean the game have build-in game-room for players? and if no dedicated server..... means the players gotta host their own server in their computer to let others play? "
    Not really. A dedicated server is a computer that hosts the game for people. Usually these servers have really high bandwidth so that 64 people can be in it with no lag at all (but that depends on the connection the server uses). Usually they are paid for by gamers or the developers themselves and the servers can be customized for their own rules, max number of players, and what maps it will play. Unless they are down for maintenance, these servers are usually up 24/7. And when you add them as a favorite you can easily find them and join them fast.
    supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By supercubedude

I'm playing it on the PC, multiplayer mostly because it is fantastic, I haven't encountered any problems at all.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kblt

Been playing it on PC, got tired of shitty hosts and hosted my own game.

Then it got fun because of my no-lag advantage

Also playing under 4 bars connection is hilarious and sad.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Seems this debate is about to start all over again from some more ignorant comments making their way in. Matchmaking isn't a REPLACEMENT for dedicated servers, peer 2 peer gameplay is, and that does in no way offer anything better than dedicated servers, something evident at the very least by the lower player limit this game now has. You could just as well have matchmaking WITH all the advantages a dedicated server has, alas it's not what IW and Activision chose. Matchmaking is merely an interface with a few automatic functions. Heck, most games that use dedicated servers do have matchmaking included, just not with as advanced features as MW2 since most PC gamers prefer finding matches their own way anyway.

My impression of the game so far:

@Al3xand3r said:

I just got done playing some of the single player missions. There were some pretty cool additions (like the riot shield dudes) but overall it feels like an expansion pack. The PC version is a joke I guess, clearly a mere console port with blurry environment textures (despite still having the "extra" setting) and no great effects, just lots and lots of standard particle effects, no volumetric anything that I can tell, not even when in the thick dust clouds produced by vehicles ahead. Almost every surface seems to have a weird plastic shine to it and the shadows look like stencil shadows with really sharp edges. I can see why this is impressive running on 60 fps on the 360 and the like but on PC it's just okay. Gameplay wise I guess I shouldn't judge it yet, there were some nice set pieces already but nothing all that spectacular, but it's pretty early. Here's a random screenshot, it's the level I'm on now. Save it to view it whole if it's too wide for that. You can also open this in a new window. Max settings, 4xAA (can/will go higher).

So, yeah, not impressive at all as you can see.
    AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ
    @Fuzz_Butt said:
    " @AnnouncerGXZ said:
    " @Dizzyhippos said:
    hey this sound stupid but need quick answer. whats dedicated server mean?  is it mean the game have build-in game-room for players? and if no dedicated server..... means the players gotta host their own server in their computer to let others play? "
    Not really. A dedicated server is a computer that hosts the game for people. Usually these servers have really high bandwidth so that 64 people can be in it with no lag at all (but that depends on the connection the server uses). Usually they are paid for by gamers or the developers themselves and the servers can be customized for their own rules, max number of players, and what maps it will play. Unless they are down for maintenance, these servers are usually up 24/7. And when you add them as a favorite you can easily find them and join them fast. "
    anybody can host dedicated server as long as they have a pc to host it? look making their pc act as a server?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By demonbear
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Milkman

The boycott was a smashing success. 

No Caption Provided

If anyone wondered why people we're taking you "boycotters" seriously, this is why.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Milkman: Okay that is pretty funny
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r: It's not a real good looking game on 360 either IMO.  Crazy how the game got lots of perfect scores for graphics.  The impression I get when playing the 360 version is that it doesn't look as bad as that screenshot though, but I couldn't tell you why.  The term volumetric lighting, fog, or smoke is kind of a generic term.  Unreal 1 had some 'volumetric' effects that are inferior to those in MW2.  The shadows are shadow maps (if you see something that looks like point sampling / pixelization, it's usually a giveaway, most games use that instead of stencil shadows these days), they're something that could pretty easily be cranked up on the PC version if they wanted to.

Anyways, that screen would look a LOT better if you turned on some transparency AA or true super sampling, probably not feasible performance wise though.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kohe321

Yes I am playing it, as is 9 of my IRL friends. Ventrilo+Irl friends+MW2=awesome.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " Just playing the single player, graphics are incredible with the texture and other settings set to extra. It's sharp and one of the best looking games i've ever seen. "
    Play more games. The textures in a lot of places are horrendous and some of the shadows you'd expect on a PS2.
    Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @AnnouncerGXZ said:
    " @Fuzz_Butt said:
    " @AnnouncerGXZ said:
    " @Dizzyhippos said:
    Not really. A dedicated server is a computer that hosts the game for people. Usually these servers have really high bandwidth so that 64 people can be in it with no lag at all (but that depends on the connection the server uses). Usually they are paid for by gamers or the developers themselves and the servers can be customized for their own rules, max number of players, and what maps it will play. Unless they are down for maintenance, these servers are usually up 24/7. And when you add them as a favorite you can easily find them and join them fast. "
    anybody can host dedicated server as long as they have a pc to host it? look making their pc act as a server? "
    Yea but usually you'd rent a special computer (a server) to do the hosting and you can access the server from another PC with the tools the renting companies give you. If you host a game with your average PC, you're gonna need a powerful PC which is not what many gamers have. Which is why when a person hosts a game through a service like IWnet with their own PC, you can't get too many players and there is gonna be lag. Lots of lag.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mikemcn

yes, im actually using my steam browser to post this in game, its alot of fun, lots of players, but the servers keep going down at random.......
    Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @Mikemcn said:
    " yes, im actually using my steam browser to post this in game, its alot of fun, lots of players, but the servers keep going down at random....... "
    lol what servers?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Milkman

The comments in the Boycott group on Steam are HILARIOUS!

"The ones that are playing this piece of slag must have been planted there by IW. Weak minded fools they are."

"You damned hypocrites make me sick. This is why nothing ever changes, because no one stands up and resists temptation. You can't play something else for a few months? You can't resist a stupid game so that you can help change the future and make it better for us all? Insanity."

"I bought this game and I am playing it all day. I am boycotting it because it takes too much time away from my life" 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187
    @Al3xand3r: Eh, looks like CoD4 for PC.  That's not a bad thing.  Game still looks good, and if it runs smooth, then that's more important.  Unfortunately, I don't like the feature set of the consoles being applied to the PC.  I'm one of the few left out there that refuses to play the PC version (and we're not even getting it here at my work due to the feature sets of it).  It sucks, but it was bound to happen one day, I guess. 

Thanks for the input, though. 

@Milkman: Absolutely hilarious!!!  Bunch of dumbasses trying to boycott for the attention!  LAWL
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro: You again, well I said I was going to update my post if they took out the settings called extra and they didn't for what we were talking about last time. Your saying play more games? I do btw, the game looks fantastic on the pc.

Click here to see a few screenshots, what is exactly so ps2 shadows about this game, it looks fantastic imo. Well on the pc anyways, these screenshots are maxed out. Unless it's crysis, I don't see anything that looks better. You might have to right click and open in another window for full size though if you require seeing every pixel of the pc version, I think it looks fantastic.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1509/iw4sp2009111015041696.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6359/iw4sp2009111015414142.jpg  

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8141/iw4sp2009111022333782.jpg      

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/889/iw4sp2009111014114036.jpg 

hopterque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hopterque

I'm getting it tomorrow, one of my buddies got it off steam and says the mp works fine. The only real reason for concern for me in terms of the change to p2p matchmaking was lag, and since it's not an issue, well, hoorah!

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Yep, I really liked it and I didn't notice too much lag. A few hackers online kinda sucked, though.

hopterque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hopterque
    @Giantsquirrel: 

I hear they've been getting banned pretty quick though, vac is pretty good about that sort of stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.