Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

I played Call of Duty

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By benpack

I always was on the outside looking in on the Call of Duty franchise.  I was always somewhat interested, but the only game I ever played was CoD 2, because it was only $20 when I got my Xbox 360. But this weekend I decided to dive in, and played through Modern Warfare 1&2, and here's what I experienced. 

I was unimpressed to begin with in Modern Warfare 1. To be fair, I was spoiled on the big moment, I won't say it here but we all know what I mean. It wasn't until about halfway through, in a flashback mission that took place in Chernobyl, that I really started to appreciate the game. I liked the story fine enough, but it wasn't until the second game that I was really sucked in. I love how ridiculous it got. I breezed through it, and to be fair I was only playing on normal. I felt like I was cheating half the time, and would test to see how fast I could run to the next objective without killing anyone.

A reenactment
     A reenactment

I decided then to play a little multiplayer. I don't play a lot of online competitive multiplayer, especially those of other shooters'. Those of us who avoid most of Xbox Live's seedy underbelly hear the stories of how bad it is, but I always thought they were a little exaggerated. To my surprise in my first two games there was a southern racist, a 12-year-old who wouldn't stop talking, and someone named SmokeBud420.

... and laugh and laugh and laugh...

That being said once I muted everyone it was pretty damn fun, and I have a feeling I'll be going back to it. Does this mean I'll play Black Ops? Probably not, I Gamefly'd both of these games, and don't really want to buy a new CoD. But that doesn't mean I won't buy Modern Warfare 3: Future Warfare.

Edit: I just realized that the time I happened to post this was 4:20. Haha get it bro? Joint ops, blunt force trauma bro.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By benpack

I always was on the outside looking in on the Call of Duty franchise.  I was always somewhat interested, but the only game I ever played was CoD 2, because it was only $20 when I got my Xbox 360. But this weekend I decided to dive in, and played through Modern Warfare 1&2, and here's what I experienced. 

I was unimpressed to begin with in Modern Warfare 1. To be fair, I was spoiled on the big moment, I won't say it here but we all know what I mean. It wasn't until about halfway through, in a flashback mission that took place in Chernobyl, that I really started to appreciate the game. I liked the story fine enough, but it wasn't until the second game that I was really sucked in. I love how ridiculous it got. I breezed through it, and to be fair I was only playing on normal. I felt like I was cheating half the time, and would test to see how fast I could run to the next objective without killing anyone.

A reenactment
     A reenactment

I decided then to play a little multiplayer. I don't play a lot of online competitive multiplayer, especially those of other shooters'. Those of us who avoid most of Xbox Live's seedy underbelly hear the stories of how bad it is, but I always thought they were a little exaggerated. To my surprise in my first two games there was a southern racist, a 12-year-old who wouldn't stop talking, and someone named SmokeBud420.

That being said once I muted everyone it was pretty damn fun, and I have a feeling I'll be going back to it. Does this mean I'll play Black Ops? Probably not, I Gamefly'd both of these games, and don't really want to buy a new CoD. But that doesn't mean I won't buy Modern Warfare 3: Future Warfare.

Edit: I just realized that the time I happened to post this was 4:20. Haha get it bro? Joint ops, blunt force trauma bro.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Your experience with the single player is identical to mine.  I really didn't like it that much until I played MW2.

I actually played CoD multiplayer for the first time today, and I wasn't into it. I've just played too much CS, I can't handle that level of chaos. I didn't feel like there was any weight to my decisions. I'm sure that there is skill to it, but it FEELS very random when you just jump in.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Thanks for doing this for me. Now I can go on with the rest of my life with an Xbox Live Silver account. But to be fair, the only time I ever played on Xbox Live was with the month free I got when I bought the console. I played GTA IV online for about an hour. I told some dude it was my first time, he said I was doing pretty well as everyone else dropped out. I thought it was boring as hell.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By benpack
    @Claude said:
    " Thanks for doing this for me. Now I can go on with the rest of my life with an Xbox Live Silver account. But to be fair, the only time I ever played on Xbox Live was with the month free I got when I bought the console. I played GTA IV online for about an hour. I told some dude it was my first time, he said I was doing pretty well as everyone else dropped out. I thought it was boring as hell. "
    Yeah the only time I play on Xbox live is for coop with friends, or Street Fighter.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@GlenTennis said:
    " @Claude said:
    " Thanks for doing this for me. Now I can go on with the rest of my life with an Xbox Live Silver account. But to be fair, the only time I ever played on Xbox Live was with the month free I got when I bought the console. I played GTA IV online for about an hour. I told some dude it was my first time, he said I was doing pretty well as everyone else dropped out. I thought it was boring as hell. "
    Yeah the only time I play on Xbox live is for coop with friends, or Street Fighter. "
    That's really the kicker. If you've got pals online playing something, Xbox Live can be really great. Otherwise, I tend to stay away from online play. 
    BeeMac420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BeeMac420

" Edit: I just realized that the time I happened to post this was 4:20. Haha get it bro? Joint ops, blunt force trauma bro"
     " To my surprise in my first two games there was a southern racist, a 12-year-old who wouldn't stop talking, and someone named SmokeBud420"

Because having 420 somewhere in your name means you must speak and behave in this way doesn't it.
    Because Jeff says so and you parrott him
    Stop judging people before you've even spoken to them based on a number in a name!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@BeeMac420:
    My friend and I were making those sorts of jokes for half of our lives, and we've been 'smoking' for the duration. Would there be any other reason to put 420 in your name than to announce to the world that you like to light up? If not, I don't think you can complain when people judge you on it.
    BeeMac420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BeeMac420
    @animathias: 
    Yourself and your friend are not everyone

Having 420 in my name means yes I smoke but doesn't automatically make me talk and behave like an idiot.

If you and you're friend did then good luck to you

edit. And don't tell me what I can and cannot complain about
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@BeeMac420:

You're behaving like an idiot when you put 420 in your name then get all defensive when people judge you on it. You're obviously on a site where it's not only "cool" to do so because of Jeff, but where people with 420 in their name has been made fun of on Xbox Live since it launched. You're going to be judged on that, and if you didn't know that, then good luck to you. 

I've only met one "Surfer" in my life and he didn't smoke, yet the "Surfer voice" has been synonymous with the 420 lifestyle since I was in Middle School. I've been smoking for half my life, and I personally think that if your only creative idea for your name is "420," then you deserve to be judged by the masses - and being judged by the masses usually means being treated like an idiot, no matter what they're judging you for.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By benpack
    @BeeMac420 said:

" " Edit: I just realized that the time I happened to post this was 4:20. Haha get it bro? Joint ops, blunt force trauma bro"  " To my surprise in my first two games there was a southern racist, a 12-year-old who wouldn't stop talking, and someone named SmokeBud420" Because having 420 somewhere in your name means you must speak and behave in this way doesn't it.Because Jeff says so and you parrott himStop judging people before you've even spoken to them based on a number in a name! "

I don't smoke, but I have plenty of friends who do, and even family members who smoked to help get through shit like cancer, hell I even supported the passage of prop 19 here in California. Putting 420 in your name is a statement, and usually leads to a certain assumption, but I wasn't saying I  was judging him. It was just reinforcing the stereotype that everyone on Xbox live has a username like xX_SePeRoTh_xx or BobMarley420. I always thought it was a bit of an exaggeration, but seeing it in one of my first games showed me that it was more like that than I had thought. I didn't judge SmokeBud420 because he wasn't doing anything bothersome, he didn't even have a mic on. It was just more of a commentary that names like that do exist, and I think it's interesting that you can have a name like that, but you can't say something about your sexual orientation in your profile without getting banned.
    mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By mariokart64fan

i was not impressed last night around 9 pm i played some one named ugh forgot the name but i was playing this guy on gta iv race , he hacked his car to go faster then i switched to mw2 and guess what - he followed me , and gave him self infinate ammo! and nuke, everyone in the room yelled at him and the whole room left including my self

so i just said f this because he kept cheating on every single game ill log on to my xbox and find the name and post it , so yall dont have to experience what i just did last night , that guy is like old as hell cause he sounded like his lungs were on ther last leg ,

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

DUDE YOU FIGHT RUSSIANS IN THE OVAL OFFICE THEN YOUR'RE AN ASTRONAUT AND WATCH A NUKE GO OFF!!!!!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

Resurrecting this thread meant resurrecting BeeMac420, the dumbest poster ever! What have you done!?!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brendan: He couldnt have been that bad...  He only posted 20 times!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.