Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Multiplayer Issues

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged

I have several issues with the multiplayer of Modern Warfare 2.  I am not here to just complain about it but to see if anyone else is having the same issues as I am.  To be honest I love COD and have played every COD that IW has created along with World at War created by Treyarch.  I think MW2 has so many issues that you could go as far to call it "broken".  Looking at the number of sales and the amount of people playing MW2 online at any given time the game is a success but it is loaded with issues.  I can only hope that we get a huge patch in the near future from IW.

I am not a bad player by any means.  I consider myself to be an average player.  I currently am a 1st prestige level 56 with a kill to death of 1.16.  I will be playing this game for the next year or so and I would love to have the following issues fixed.

Spawn Kills
    The spawning system in this game is just crap.  I hate spawning and 5 seconds after spawn you are dead.  I have had, in several cases, being spawned on top of a grenade.  

Knife, Noob-Tube, and Akimbo Shotguns
    The knife is probably one of the biggest issues I have with the game.  Combined with commando you can lunge 10 feet, magically take 5-10 rounds to the chest, have an instant kill, and laugh at your enemy for even trying to shoot at you.  I have fired a RPG at an enemy and that split second he knifed at me and my RPG round went through him, hit the wall behind him, and he instantly killed me.  They should rename commando to "instant noclip".  I don't understand why the knife, no matter where you hit them, is an instant kill.  The characters must be one huge jugular vein apparently.
    The noob-tube has always been a joke imo.  I know you shouldn't complain about something that everyone has the ability to use but sometimes it just gets old.  Some people know they can't out shoot you so they just rely on the tube.  The noob-tube is something that will never been taken out of the game but I would love to see if nerfed so to say.  Maybe make it 1 round instead of 2 and take the damage down a bit.
    Akimbo Shotguns are a joke.  Being shot by them up close is fine but at a distance over 100feet when you have a rifle unloading on them and then they kill you.  Just stupid and very unrealistic....

LAG
    Three green of even four green bars it doesn't matter.  I am not saying all the time but a lot of the time you can shoot 1st with X's showing up on the screen and a guy can turn and shoot you 1-2x and kill you.  There are several cases that you are being shot and you go behind cover to avoid getting killed and die instantly.  You watch the kill cam and notice that according to the enemy screen you never made it to cover even though on your screen you did.  It happens all the time, the same with bullets that you fire.  On your screen you are shooting 10-15x at someone that it shooting right back at you, you die, watch the kill cam, it shows 2 of those 10-15 bullets actually firing on your screen.  One issue that has happened more often is trying to shoot down a chopper or harrier with a stinger.  I will shoot at it, it will miss, shoot again, it will miss, the thing is you can’t shoot the stinger unless you have a lock.  I once shot 8x from a stinger at a harrier and it kept killing me and I never got a hit.  LAG

Is anyone else having these issues or others?

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

Didn't even read this to know... 

You're a little late buddy.

homer2320776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By homer2320776

Same, I have more issues on the Harrier side of your problems. Since the update it's like the harrier now has invisible flares or something, seems to be limited to a few maps for me, mainly Afghan.

Akimbos are still broke, Tactical Knife is magically "faster" to swing than a normal knife and Comcast don't like black people.....errr......doesn't play well with others.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JokerClown88

I love you guys.

Champoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Champoo

You should check around on these forums for the video showing what's possible with the GL. Making you only have one round won't fix a thing :/.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I agree this game is broken. These relatively small things make it highly frustrating, I have no patience left for this game any more. Even when I'm doing well I'm not really enjoying myself. 

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
    S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By S0mewh4tD4m4ged
    @zudthespud said:
    " Even when I'm doing well I'm not really enjoying myself.  "
    Exactly where I am at.  I am really hoping that Bad Company 2 will be the next big thing for me as far as multiplayer goes...
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

Feels like these threads come up a bit too often? Anyway, yup, MW2 is quite bad, allthough I find that the satisfying moments often outweigh the bad ones. 

And I heard dedicated servers were coming for the PC? Might've been some 'tard trolling though.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By kenya24
    @S0mewh4tD4m4ged: The spawn points could be improved. I don't think you can spawn camp as effectively as in COD4, but it does have some other interesting spawn issues. However, that goes both ways, it badly spawns evenly.

Guys knifing you? Shoot them in the face rather than the chest. Seriously, that's how you drop them. And they're the easiest way to get headshots since they usually run in a perfectly straight line right at you.

Noob-tube pissing you off? Try the blast shield. That's what it's for.

Akimbo Shotguns are totally stupid. I agree. And the people that use them are even stupider. Even single regular shotguns at times seem kind of excessive.

As for the lag, the same issues were present in COD4 and other games. It all depends on who's the host and how far they are from you etc...  There's really no way to get around the fact that information takes time to travel over the internet.

I find the kill cam raises more issues sometimes because without it, nobody would be aware of the differences in experiences between players over the internet.

Basically, the game isn't "broken" due to these issues. The hacks are annoying, but get patched. If the game wasn't so popular, there'd probably be a fraction of the hacks.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By kenya24
    @homer2320776 said:
    Tactical Knife is magically "faster" to swing than a normal knife
    That's the point. 
    Akimbo shottys are still busted though. I can barely tell any difference since the patch.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Ineedaname

Gonna post this here cause it's the most relevant and I don't see a point in starting a whole thread, nor have I spotted a thread on it yet.
    But some fixes might make it a little better, I'm especially pleased about the carepackage one. 

Updates to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

• Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized
    • Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry
    • Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s
    • Improved player collision removing cases of getting into geometry and 'elevators'
    • Mouse latency tweaks for more mouse movement consistency
    • Fixes to prevent various texture and XP hacks

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3338/
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fentonalpha

I can't get a Harrier and Pave-low at the same time without  crashing the entire game back to lobby for everyone.... that's fairly broken.

NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks

TL;DR 

Another bitching thread , someone got knifed , make a fucking bitch thread ¬_¬

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fentonalpha
    @NinjaCupCaiks said:
    " TL;DR   Another bitching thread , someone got knifed , make a fucking bitch thread ¬_¬ "
    Another unnecessary comment, i can't deal with opinions, make a troll comment.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @S0mewh4tD4m4ged said:
    " Spawn Kills 

The spawning system in this game is just crap.  I hate spawning and 5 seconds after spawn you are dead.  I have had, in several cases, being spawned on top of a grenade.  

Akimbo Shotguns are a joke.  Being shot by them up close is fine but at a distance over 100feet when you have a rifle unloading on them and then they kill you.  Just stupid and very unrealistic....

LAG
    Three green of even four green bars it doesn't matter.  I am not saying all the time but a lot of the time you can shoot 1st with X's showing up on the screen and a guy can turn and shoot you 1-2x and kill you.  There are several cases that you are being shot and you go behind cover to avoid getting killed and die instantly.  You watch the kill cam and notice that according to the enemy screen you never made it to cover even though on your screen you did.  It happens all the time, the same with bullets that you fire.  On your screen you are shooting 10-15x at someone that it shooting right back at you, you die, watch the kill cam, it shows 2 of those 10-15 bullets actually firing on your screen.  One issue that has happened more often is trying to shoot down a chopper or harrier with a stinger.  I will shoot at it, it will miss, shoot again, it will miss, the thing is you can’t shoot the stinger unless you have a lock.  I once shot 8x from a stinger at a harrier and it kept killing me and I never got a hit.  LAG

Is anyone else having these issues or others? "

With the LAG yes im having serious issues since there isnt much players in where I am i always get only a 2bar connection rate and when the irritating host migration happens more often than not im left with a 1bar connection which is really bad. 

Most likely when Battlefield: Bad Company 2 comes out im likely to abandon this. 
    Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bennyishere

The problem is the people playing the game. It's "cool" to run around with a knife, and I see loads of people with their Blade Master titles as if it's something to be proud of. As one guy pointed out, this is fine when they run straight at you and let you shoot them, but in a map with many corners, these people will run around you and flank you while you're none the wiser.

Sometimes you just have to ragequit and see if you find a lobby with players that you can tolerate and that actually use guns instead of explosives and knives.
    As for the grenade launcher, it has something to do with the challenges. You need to kill 20 people with the launcher to get the shotgun attachment, and I really want to get Mastery on my gun so I will totally run around with grenade launcher and scavenger and try to get lucky kills across the map. Once I get those 20 kills, I'll stop and put a silencer or FMJ on.

However, it seems to me like Modern Warfare 2 is the cruelest, most evil online shooter because of the community. In team games, it's still all about stealing your teammate's care package, using new camping spots and so on. I don't want to blame Infinity Ward, but they really should patch some of the perk combinations. Grenade launcher, one man army and danger close? Oh hell no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.