Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

PC version now WORTHLESS. No mods OR dedicated servers!

• 418 results
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Al3xand3r

Hamachi has nothing to do with having dedicated servers. If they don't provide a dedicated server setup, it can't be created out of nothing.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By metal_mills
    @Killjoy said:
    " Did he give any reason as to why they are changing the model ? I don't see a big change in the way I play the game either way but whats wrong with dedicated servers ? "
    To make it equal across all systems and easier for gamers. However, you could pretty hear the bullshit slopping out of his mouth so much I doubt even he could believe what he was saying as the truth.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe because there are plenty Source-based dedicated server applications available to get and modify.

Edit: Actually, L4D has a dedicated server anyway. I'm not sure what's the use of that application other than the dubious "no need for Steam" bit, but clearly it wasn't created "out of nothing" since there's an official dedicated server to download and modify (if it doesn't even require it? It does say it needs hl2.exe among, probably, other things when you try to run it).

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#204  Edited By Cirdain

sigh.. where's my gun im gonna shoot someone.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Al3xand3r

Hope dies last I guess.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By mhkjtha

I just have to point out that people who think that this will cut down piracy are fucking pants-on-head retarded.
    do you people know how piracy works, and how easy it is? no drm program has ever made piracy harder EVER. and iwnet will NOT change that trend.

this is a prime example of why i hate drm so much: it only negatively affects the loyal customers, but the pirates are unaffected by it. it just gives people another excuse/justification of piracy.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Jimbo
    @Diamond said:

" @Jimbo said:

@Diamond: All true, so the individual console gamer does not subsidise the individual PC gamer in any way at all.  The console market as a whole may be (is) most responsible for the game existing in it's current form, but that seems to be a different point to saying 'Console gamers have basically been supporting PC gaming financially for the last 3 years'.  That isn't the case: you, as a console gamer, are not paying more as a result of the PC market - if anything you should be paying less, because the (almost) identical development costs are spread over more customers, even if it is only 10% more.  So long as the dev cycle is shared, seperating the end user into 'console gamers' and 'PC gamers' seems completely arbitrary.  In the current multi-play business model, we are essentially identical.

Very true what you say that console gamers should be paying less, we really should.  I guess in a business sense they should also crank up PC game costs, but I'd be much happier if games just cost $20 new.  "
    I'm not saying the console price should go down and the PC price should go up - they should both be kept down by the existence of the other.

So long as they can sell 8 million copies to [360 + PC] instead of say 7 million to [just 360], whilst keeping the total dev cost virtually the same, then we should all benefit from them continuing to do the former, because the fixed dev cost is split between a larger number of customers.  The existence of a PC version should help keep console game prices down, not raise them.  To say that one group should be paying more toward development than the other is just arbitrarily splitting the market by their 360/PC prefix.  

Of course, if they are now giving the PC version and console version an identical shelf price, then the individual PC gamer is subsidising the individual console gamer, because there is no console tax to come out of the PC sale price.

Edit: "The best thing people that are upset about this can do is take their money and put it directly into another title they want to support.  Simply not buying it, buying it for a console, buying it later at a lower price, or pirating the game will ONLY make the situation worse for what you believe in."  I agree with this sentiment.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#208  Edited By Tordah

I wasn't even planning to buy the game but this definately sucks. A lot. Crippling the PC version does absolutely no one any good.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#209  Edited By FireBurger
    @Diamond said:

" Oh the melodrama.  Honestly, the 360 version of COD4 was perfectly fine online, I never had any problems with it.  Of course PC fanboys who never actually played the console versions will disagree, but that's why it was such a success on consoles.  As Jeff has said on the podcast, Modern Warfare 2 is a 360 game that is getting ported to other platforms.  That's the way gaming is these days, and frankly it's not bad at all. "

Do you understand what dedicate servers are? The issue isn't just lag. It's that instead of having a server that you can consistently go to and get to know the people there, you have to continually jump into games with random people you don't know. It's a community issue more than a technology issue, and that's why people are rightfully complaining. 

And this is coming from someone who played COD4 and will play CODMW2 on a 360, so I know how it works.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By crunchUK

Posers. I was hating activision and modern warfare long before you idiots. 

Still, since Halo 3 i can no longer tolerate a game without matchmaking. I love forza 2 online but the lobby system feels so crap in comparison to the lovely world of playlists i hardly ever bother and just do endless test drives on my own. Matchmaking when done well (Go away gears 2) is the pinnacle of futureness

Mo_Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Mo_Buttons

First SC2's LAN debacle, now this.

It's sad what's happening to PC gaming.

corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By corgorav

When you're in that 1vs1 situation with someone, both aiming at each other's heads, there are a few things that decide the outcome: your reaction time/accuracy balance, maybe some luck, maybe some environmental/game specific factors, input lag, mouse response time and connection quality etc.... Now when there's the risk of you already being in slight disadvantage compared to your enemy in some of the latter factors, you really wanna try to even out the milliseconds by always choosing the best pinged, still otherwise enjoyable server (good number of players and rules to your liking) located near you, which you apparently can't do with this console mock up POS matchmaking system. This is a total bummer, let's hope they hear the outcry of pc gamers and patch it later (though if they're gonna spent some time and money on this thing I kinda doubt it)         :(

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Fuzz_Butt

Sad times for PC users. Hopefully Treyarch will support the PC users even though World at War's single player was decent at best.

MonstroUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#214  Edited By MonstroUK

To the tune of Idle Thumbs' 'Video Games'.

Fuuuuuck this gaaaame.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#215  Edited By VIGGO123

This is bullshit!
    They literary removed everything that made the PC version superior to the consoles...

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By PISTOLcm

Ladies and gentlemen..it's official. The PC is now a very, very, very expensive console.

v_v /cry

LEFT FOR DEAD 2, HERE I COME! lol, IW fails.

Lemmingzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#217  Edited By Lemmingzx
    @PISTOLcm said:
    " Ladies and gentlemen..it's official. The PC is now a very, very, very expensive console.  v_v /cry   LEFT FOR DEAD 2, HERE I COME! lol, IW fails. "
    I don't understand why you're saying "LEFT FOR DEAD 2, HERE I COME!" it also has a matchmaking system, and Valve puposefull didn't release the SDK of Left for dead so that more people would buy #2
    Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#218  Edited By Philantrophy

This is how they are going to make people pay for new maps. 

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#219  Edited By Ghostin

People will quickly move to another franchise if it offers what this game does not. 

It is that simple.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Lemmingzx: Lots of games have matchmaking..but L4D also has mods, and the last I checked, the SDK is coming out pretty soon. Heard it in an interview with GiantBomb :P
    Lemmingzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Lemmingzx
    @PISTOLcm said:
    " @Lemmingzx: Lots of games have matchmaking..but L4D also has mods, and the last I checked, the SDK is coming out pretty soon. Heard it in an interview with GiantBomb :P "
    Words cannot express what I'm feeling towards you, it's stressing me out, there is only one thing I can think of to symbolise what I'm feeling but it does not do it justice:

:|
    Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#222  Edited By ApocalypseLater

Dedicated servers are the reason why I'm part of a gaming community in the first place.  I played the original COD on the same server with the same people for months and the majority of us ended up as admins for the cable company running the servers.  The only way to stick together would be to host private matches which would mean not allowing potential new members to drop in and see if our server is the right fit for them.  Or we'd have to leave it open and hope that our members can all get in.  We have 3 servers set up for the game and were making plans on what mods to run for a particular server.  I guess we shouldn't have assumed but I figured it was a safe assumption to make that there would be dedicated servers. 
     Matchmaking based on rank is for people focused on stats and people afraid of getting killed too much by better players. But hell, we've all had our asses handed to us by better players.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By xplodedd

that sounds like its going to be a rushed game to me.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By PISTOLcm

More time for TF2 :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@killdave said:

" @Bucketdeth said:

" I will not be supporting Activision in anyway, the only thing related to them that I will buy will be Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. "
    LOL I hate you, I hate you !! I boycott you !! I boycott you !! But I'll still buy your products... "
    Well I'm buying since it's the Blizzard side of things, but I know theres one company now which really sucks.
    BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By BRNK
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " Actually, people think, and it could be very true, that they are doing it to get a firm grip on the DLC for PC. Remember Jeff asking "I wonder how they'll be able to charge for DLC in MW2?"
    This. They are trying to make PC players pay for map packs. What I don't understand is why all you are so surprised. This is so obviously an console game first that happens to be ported to the PC.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By mhkjtha

it's possible to make people pay for DLC without this bullshit.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By ApocalypseLater

My major concern is how are established clans and communities going to play together.  I don't know much about how clan gaming works on a console or with matchmaking.  That's because dedicated servers are the better option, but now that there is no option how does it work?

raynate2022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By raynate2022

It's funny how people can go on such a huge nerd rage when the game isn't even out yet.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By PowerSerj
    @pause422 said:
    " Yeah, no, its not. "
    @jakob187 said:
    " @PowerSerj said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "Being 100% serious, they are better off at this point just not having a PC version, at all. "
    That's pretty retarded. "
    Not really.  With the information that came out today, and the obvious reaction it has received on the IW forums, I would guess that the PC version is as close to dead as it can get.  Just one small move like no dedicated servers kills SOOOO many capabilities for the game that are features and possibilities that matter to the PC community. "
    That's pretty retarded.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#231  Edited By mracoon

That's just stupid. Why would they take out a feature (and a realy important one) that was already that was already there before? It doesn't make sense and all it does is make less people interested in getting the game.

youstolemykill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By youstolemykill

Left 4 Dead has MM, BUT through dedicated servers. You would think they would of made a hybrid system for MW2

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @raynate2022:  Maybe because players already know what the new system will be like by already playing on Xbox Live?
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#234  Edited By Snail

FPS games have always been better on the PC! What the hell is this?! Is PC gaming dying?

I personally think that Activision is doing this becuase CoD appeals to the mainstream community, and those noobs don't even know a computer can be sued to play video games. If I was to overreact I would say that the fucking mainstream community is killing the gaming industry!!

AND I SUCK AT FPS GAMES ON CONSOLES! WHAT THE HELL AM I TO DO?!?!

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Voshterkoff
    Yo, Infinity Ward, I'm really happy for you, and I'm going to let you finish, but Ion Storm had one of the worst pc-ports of all time!
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would anyone buy it on PC now? Since you're getting the exact same experience of a happily-fleeced console user why would you opt to play it on PC?

Dedicated servers and the community that brings with it are the primary benefits of playing on PC that outweigh the hardware costs/tech issues. So how do Infinity Ward expect someone to opt for a PC version which has none of the major benefits and all of the negatives?

Essentially this is the same as the Dragon Rising mess. A console port shoved onto PC with little to no thought. I won't be surprised at all when they announce the PC "version" has aim-assist.

IWnet is counter-productive and a waste of money.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#237  Edited By Diamond
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    Why would anyone buy it on PC now? Since you're getting the exact same experience of a happily-fleeced console user why would you opt to play it on PC?
    Graphics & keyboard / mouse control.  It's enough for PC gamers in other cases.

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    So how do Infinity Ward expect someone to opt for a PC version which has none of the major benefits and all of the negatives?
    A few of the major benefits and all of the negatives.
    Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Voshterkoff
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro: 

Then don't buy it. Personally I am no longer buying it on the first day, I will wait until it is around $30-25 to have grenades thrown at me for 6 hours.
    Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

This is probly their way of getting you to buy the console versions instead.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diamond 

If you look at Dragon Rising, as a recent example, you'll see the graphics options aren't there. It's a console port.

Keyboard and mouse is also negated by this design choice. There's no lean in DR because it wouldn't fit on a controller and most of the commands and menu's are ineptly carried over from a console design. You're essentially better off playing it with a controller.

Yet Codemasters still claim they separately developed for the PC version... which I'm sure IW will also do. Listening to Robert Bowling spin killing the PC community, by removing dedi servers, into improving the PC community experience just echoes CMs own marketing spiel. 

It just doesn't make sense why they ever thought this would work.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Voshterkoff said:
    " @Zatoichi_Sanjuro:   Then don't buy it. Personally I am no longer buying it on the first day, I will wait until it is around $30-25 to have grenades thrown at me for 6 hours. "
    ofc I won't buy it on PC. I thought that was clearly evident in what I said.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Diamond
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    @Diamond   If you look at Dragon Rising, as a recent example, you'll see the graphics options aren't there. It's a console port.
    That's true in most cases, but still you can increase resolution, AA, and AF.

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    Keyboard and mouse is also negated by this design choice. There's no lean in DR because it wouldn't fit on a controller and most of the commands and menu's are ineptly carried over from a console design. You're essentially better off playing it with a controller.  Yet Codemasters still claim they separately developed for the PC version... which I'm sure IW will also do.
    Personally I am a fan of gamepads, I recognize that mouse is more accurate of course.  However I know there are some people who can't play with a gamepad at all.  Even if they don't have features like lean there's still going to be a lot of people that prefer mouse+KB.
    dozerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By dozerking

Can't believe they did this. No Mod tools is flat out fucking ridiculous, not to mention No Dedi servers. What a mess.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#244  Edited By Cirdain

pirate for sp

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Diamond said:

"Even if they don't have features like lean there's still going to be a lot of people that prefer mouse+KB."

What game lacks that feature when played with mouse+kb? All my games with lean work fine.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#246  Edited By FireBurger
    @BRNK said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " Actually, people think, and it could be very true, that they are doing it to get a firm grip on the DLC for PC. Remember Jeff asking "I wonder how they'll be able to charge for DLC in MW2?"
    This. They are trying to make PC players pay for map packs. What I don't understand is why all you are so surprised. This is so obviously an console game first that happens to be ported to the PC. "
    They could choose to not release the SDK and mod tools while still allowing dedicated servers.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Voshterkoff said:
    " @Zatoichi_Sanjuro:   Then don't buy it. Personally I am no longer buying it on the first day, I will wait until it is around $30-25 to have grenades thrown at me for 6 hours. "
    Have fun playing a two year old game.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#248  Edited By mikemcn
    @Voshterkoff said:
    "Yo, Infinity Ward, I'm really happy for you, and I'm going to let you finish, but Ion Storm had one of the worst pc-ports of all time! "
    hahaha that was good, thanks

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

"Why would anyone buy it on PC now? Since you're getting the exact same experience of a happily-fleeced console user why would you opt to play it on PC?  Dedicated servers and the community that brings with it are the primary benefits of playing on PC that outweigh the hardware costs/tech issues. So how do Infinity Ward expect someone to opt for a PC version which has none of the major benefits and all of the negatives?  Essentially this is the same as the Dragon Rising mess. A console port shoved onto PC with little to no thought. I won't be surprised at all when they announce the PC "version" has aim-assist.  IWnet is counter-productive and a waste of money. "

They don't want you to buy it on PC, thats all there is to it, but im not getting an xbox just for this game lol
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikemcn said:
    They don't want you to buy it on PC, thats all there is to it, but im not getting an xbox just for this game lol "

That's what I don't understand. Don't release it on PC if you want more people to buy the 360 version. Why waste money developing IWnet to boot?

Just abandon the platform and be honest about it.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Diamond said:

"Even if they don't have features like lean there's still going to be a lot of people that prefer mouse+KB."

What game lacks that feature when played with mouse+kb? All my games with lean work fine. "
    Read the post from the person I was replying to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.