throwing knives

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By McSmunions

quick question about the throwing knives: do they travel in a straight line or is there an arc to them? i haven't really bothered with them but i've been nailed by a good dozen at this point.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

seems to be a little arc when I tried them.  What really bothers me is how slow they are to launch from your hand, so I stopped using them.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By McSmunions

interesting, guess i'll have to try them out first hand. thanks for the info

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Adamantium

They arc. They also drop velocity very quickly, so aim high if your target is more than a few meters away.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

How good are they? I'm considering using them in multiplayer.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adamantium
@natetodamax said:

" How good are they? I'm considering using them in multiplayer. "

I find that they only work well when your target has ZERO knowledge of your location, and you're within ten meters or so. That said, if you use Cold-Blooded or get a lucky sneak-up on someone, they kill silently and quickly, plus you can retrieve your blade to use it again. I've had lots of success with them, just remember the age old adage: don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By meteora
@Adamantium said:
" @natetodamax said:

I find that they only work well when your target has ZERO knowledge of your location, and you're within ten meters or so. That said, if you use Cold-Blooded or get a lucky sneak-up on someone, they kill silently and quickly, plus you can retrieve your blade to use it again. I've had lots of success with them, just remember the age old adage: don't bring a knife to a gunfight. "
That or you surprised them somehow. Its also good for fools who try to run away from you with their back facing you.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants

iAmJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iAmJohn

This game has throwing knives?  The hell?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike
@iAmJohn: A throwing knife can be chosen as a piece of equipment in place of frags, flash bangs, or the like. You get one of them (at least initially) and they can be retrieved from bodies after you stick people with them.

I find them to be a useless novelty, at least for the way I play.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Adamantium
@Meteora said:
"That or you surprised them somehow. Its also good for fools who try to run away from you with their back facing you. "
Oh yeah, I've gotten a few surprise kills w/ it for sure... gotta lead em tho, unless they're stationary.

No one runs from me tho... I must not be intimidating enough yet, lol. The only backs I've thrown knives into never knew I was there, which is fine with me... Neeenja!
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Milkman

I found the throwing knives to be absolutely useless unless you're some kind of fucking ninja.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike
@Adamantium: I'm a big fan of the Commando perk and suppressed weapons, but when I catch a camper by surprise, I usually try to go for a headshot with my primary or a standard kill after transitioning to my secondary.

I don't use throwing knives, but I melee at close quarters when dudes are facing me or I see them run around a corner away from my direction. Throwing knives just seem like a waste, unless there is some hidden benefit that I can't see.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By meteora
@MB: The throwing knife is probably more of a fun and mess around equipment than something serious for killing. Just like throwing entirely C4's at somebody's feet and blowing them up.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Red

Yeah, I'm not the best with throwing knives, and their times of usefulness are kind of rare, but I do like the novelty, and I find myself using them more than I would grenades.

raynate2022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By raynate2022

I dont like them since I tend to try and use them like grenades..too used to them..lol

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Adamantium
@MB said:

" @Adamantium: I'm a big fan of the Commando perk and suppressed weapons, but when I catch a camper by surprise, I usually try to go for a headshot with my primary or a standard kill after transitioning to my secondary.  I don't use throwing knives, but I melee at close quarters when dudes are facing me or I see them run around a corner away from my direction. Throwing knives just seem like a waste, unless there is some hidden benefit that I can't see. "

Oh yeah I carry Commando w/ my Cold Blooded setup; I also bling my UMP with the Dot Sight and Suppressor. Between the knife, Commando, the UMP and the Glock, I have lots of silent quick kill options when I walk into a nest of bad guys unwittingly. That's probably the only really good reason to carry the throwing knife; it isn't my go-to weapon when I first find someone, only when there are two or more or I need to reloead and I'm not confident that my bullet count will be enuf to take em down.

I'll freely admit that a frag or Tactical Insertion would probably be more useful than the throwing knife overall, but I really enjoy it for the badass ninja feeling you get when someone pops around a corner out of melee range and you tag 'em with it on reflex alone, like the standard yelp+melee I do when someone is just instantly in my face. It actually has saved my bacon more than once. Then again, I've also gotten gunned down while trying to retrieve it a few times as well, lol.
b_radt007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By b_radt007

I've had a few good kills with them, I caught one guy trying to knife me by throwing it right in his face!  It was his first game in Modern Warfare 2 and he was extremely surprised to say the least, he had no idea they were in the game. 

Once I got this crazy, lucky kill with them from like 30 meters away, but usually I just kill people from behind with them.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Flushes

I just got a payback kill with one and "ATM" flashed in giant letters. That combined with the flying money made me laugh out loud over the mic.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Adamantium
@Flushes said:
" I just got a payback kill with one and "ATM" flashed in giant letters. That combined with the flying money made me laugh out loud over the mic. "
Hah sweet! I'm gonna try to get a payback kill with one now! Did you get a Title/Emblem for it?
Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Flushes

I unlocked the nametag with "It's Personal" on it, along with a few others, but I think the nametag is the most likely candidate.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Adamantium
@Flushes said:
" I unlocked the nametag with "It's Personal" on it, along with a few others, but I think the nametag is the most likely candidate. "
Lol nice! Man my KDR is gonna suffer while I try to get that one done, lol.
faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By faustyn
@Flushes said:
" I unlocked the nametag with "It's Personal" on it, along with a few others, but I think the nametag is the most likely candidate. "
as far as i remember 'it's personal' is actually for shooting someone and then throwing a knife at him.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By apathylad

I read that throwing knives work well with the Riot Shield. Oh, and I found this on a message board:

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Xelloss
@Apathylad said:

" I read that throwing knives work well with the Riot Shield. Oh, and I found this on a message board:

"
Haha that was awesome.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Xelloss said:

" @Apathylad said:

" I read that throwing knives work well with the Riot Shield. Oh, and I found this on a message board:

"
Haha that was awesome. "
Made my night.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Captain_Insano

both of those videos were awesome

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @Xelloss said:

" @Apathylad said:

"
Haha that was awesome. "
Made my night. "
dude. no way. lmao XD
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By rjayb89

Holy fucking shit.  Nice throw.  Jesus.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By mrfizzy
@natetodamax said:
Iv got them on ALL my custom classes as of about an hour ago, however once i manage to get one kill with a throwing knife (i havent yet coz i keep forgetting i have them) ill probs switch back to grenades and never touch them again. I simply want that one kill for shits and giggles. To be honest thats all i see them being good for. 
MikeyZeroG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikeyZeroG

I have about 8 kills with the throwing knife. It's not as useful as a grenade, but it feels so good to do it.  

DanGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DanGuy

Your target has to be pretty close and pretty still to get a easy kill with them, but I've gotten a few lucky kills with them.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Everytime I switch to the throwing knives, I end up tossing it like it is a grenade since I forget I even switched in the first place, heh.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By meteora
@TheGTAvaccine: Ahahaha, this is so true. I keep holding onto the grenade button and I was like "oh shit, I forgot I have throwing knives instead."
SlickFloors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlickFloors

Remember, the throwing knife is an equipment. You can use equipment while you have the Riot Shield equipped. If they aren't smart enough to use explosives against you, they'll knife you... with practice a quick tap of the RB button will result in a quick throw and a shocked and puzzled player looking at the killcam.

b_radt007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By b_radt007

Some guy with a riot shield started sprinting up to me while I was sniping, and I wasn't sure what to do.  I sort of panicked and ended up throwing a knife at his feet a split second before he was about to hit me with the shield...it hit him in the freaking toe or something and killed him LOL...it was so funny, he was laughing on his mic!

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deadmonkeys

"Throwing Knives Only"

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm guessing these are for multiplayer only...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Red12b

I was playing underpass, And was sick and tired of run & Gun, So I just meleed everybody, And used the Pistol knife combo, Hilarity ensued as I killed more people with that than I did my Sniper rifle or Assault rifle, 

I got a kill streak of i think 5 just stabbin dudes for the sake of it, It was awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.