Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Why I keep getting sick of MW2

Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Arcaed

Now, yes, I realize there are other shooters out there. And I know some readers may have a knee-jerk reaction to me complaining about a game that's been out nearly a year. But there aren't any better shooters. Bad Company has more things wrong with it than it's worth, IMO, and neither it nor MoH show any signs of having nearly as good of a core engine, and when it comes down to it, how the game actually feels is the most important part of competitive gaming (for me). 

With the Resurgence Pack having recently(ish) been released on PSN I've been (again) playing a lot of CoD. Here are some of my problems with said game, as if I don't rant about this in some form, I'm afraid my controller may soon be a permanent fixture on my television screen. 

Killstreaks - IMO these have ruined the game. I am sick and tired of losing matches to teams who are clearly of lesser skill, or have no intention whatsoever of bothering with the objective just turning around, and "winning" via Chopper Gunners, AC130's, and of course, Nukes. Now, before, I used to suggest just the OP killstreaks be taken out, but now I'm of the persuasion that all killstreaks bring down the play experience. No matter what streak it is, it immediately makes the other team have less fun and have less of a chance of winning. And in my opinion, it ruins the game, and beyond all, it promotes what? 

Camping - I can't ever recall someone in halo simply sitting in a corner for minutes at a time simply hoping someone would walk in front of them. This is not only a common occurrence on MW2, it is how nearly half the online population plays. Nothing screams "I suck at the game" like sitting in a corner waiting for someone to walk in front of your crosshairs so you can get a free kill - something that all games have, but only this one rewards, and rewards so goddamn well (see above paragraph for refrence). 

Explosives - Noob tubes aren't even what bother me. It's the lot of them combined, especially on game types (HQ) or with the use of perks (Danger Close), that really get under my skin. There's usually no time to react, and often you couldn't even have known the player/explosive was there. Then, instant kill. The blast radii in MoH or BFBC2 are a pathetic joke, I don't want that. However, the instant kill radius in MW2 is over the top, and in most cases, you will die instantly, if not, they will usually just lob something else towards you to finish the job. 

And actually that about covers it. At least, as far as things that effect gameplay go. This rant was not meant to be taken seriously, and is just my way of blowing off some steam. I still like MW2 more than any other FPS on consoles (until Reach).

Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Arcaed

Now, yes, I realize there are other shooters out there. And I know some readers may have a knee-jerk reaction to me complaining about a game that's been out nearly a year. But there aren't any better shooters. Bad Company has more things wrong with it than it's worth, IMO, and neither it nor MoH show any signs of having nearly as good of a core engine, and when it comes down to it, how the game actually feels is the most important part of competitive gaming (for me). 

With the Resurgence Pack having recently(ish) been released on PSN I've been (again) playing a lot of CoD. Here are some of my problems with said game, as if I don't rant about this in some form, I'm afraid my controller may soon be a permanent fixture on my television screen. 

Killstreaks - IMO these have ruined the game. I am sick and tired of losing matches to teams who are clearly of lesser skill, or have no intention whatsoever of bothering with the objective just turning around, and "winning" via Chopper Gunners, AC130's, and of course, Nukes. Now, before, I used to suggest just the OP killstreaks be taken out, but now I'm of the persuasion that all killstreaks bring down the play experience. No matter what streak it is, it immediately makes the other team have less fun and have less of a chance of winning. And in my opinion, it ruins the game, and beyond all, it promotes what? 

Camping - I can't ever recall someone in halo simply sitting in a corner for minutes at a time simply hoping someone would walk in front of them. This is not only a common occurrence on MW2, it is how nearly half the online population plays. Nothing screams "I suck at the game" like sitting in a corner waiting for someone to walk in front of your crosshairs so you can get a free kill - something that all games have, but only this one rewards, and rewards so goddamn well (see above paragraph for refrence). 

Explosives - Noob tubes aren't even what bother me. It's the lot of them combined, especially on game types (HQ) or with the use of perks (Danger Close), that really get under my skin. There's usually no time to react, and often you couldn't even have known the player/explosive was there. Then, instant kill. The blast radii in MoH or BFBC2 are a pathetic joke, I don't want that. However, the instant kill radius in MW2 is over the top, and in most cases, you will die instantly, if not, they will usually just lob something else towards you to finish the job. 

And actually that about covers it. At least, as far as things that effect gameplay go. This rant was not meant to be taken seriously, and is just my way of blowing off some steam. I still like MW2 more than any other FPS on consoles (until Reach).

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

You should do what I did, sell it now when its worth some money!!!!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SSully

There are plenty of better shooters out there my friend. You have a ps3, pick up socom confrontation. It is not the best looking game, and the menus are horribly designed, but the gameplay what is worth it. Easily console shooter when it comes to skill, teamwork, and tactics.  

If you have a decent  PC and dont own counter strike or Team Fortress 2 then you should go and do that right now. Now two games alone could last you years. Theres a reason why i come back to counter strike after playing for years, its not because i am good( i am good, but not nearly as good as other players), its just that its a fun shooter. Camping is almost never a problem in counter strike and the way people work together is a thing of beauty. Dont even get me started on TF2, just a great game in every regard. 

A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow

the only objective based first person shooter that encourages you not to play the objective 
    also its unbalanced as all hell
    i don't see the problems with bfbc2 but thats and opinion

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5  Edited By Symphony

Woah it's like we went back in time and  are reading one of the thousands of posts from back when it was new.  Which I noticed you acknowledged sort of, but still....

These things have been in the game this whole time so if they still bother you, why would you not only keep playing but pay for extra maps?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    If I was the only one in my house that played Modern Warfare 2 I would have snapped the disc a while ago. Or sold it
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By foggel

Doesn't stop me from getting over 20 kills with under 10 deaths every round I play. 

That said TAR with FMJ and Stopping Power is imba.

Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arcaed
    @RE_Player92:  Good thought, but like I've said, nothing else on the market scratches my competitive itch quite like MW2. 

As per the socom suggestion, I will check it out, but I'm pretty picky. 

@A_Wet_Shamwow:
      Yeah, that's what I was just complaining about. As far as not liking BC2, I don't much care for the floaty feeling of DICE's engine, nor the bouncing weapons, nor the physics, nor the lack of a truly rewarding unlock system. In fact, the only two really redeemable qualities BC2 has (to me) is the squad respawn, and the bullet drop. Vehicles and destructible environments are "cool" but after the wow wore off, it didn't keep me playing. 

@Symphony: Like I sorta mentioned, I do enjoy the game as a whole, at least more than any other shooter on consoles. However, all things have faults, and when you play something for so many months, the flaws start to stand out more than anything else, if you've ever played an MMO, think of it similarly. 

@foggel:
     So... what was the point of your post? To brag that you're so good? I generally don't go negative either, which means I'm above average. We should both have cookies yes? 

And yeah, the TAR is uber, though at range I sometimes prefer the SCAR-H.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By foggel
    @Arcaed: That if you have skill you own noobs who rely on mentioned tactics.

*eats cookie* :3
    Coltaine22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coltaine22
    @Arcaed:  Battlefield has more problems than it's worth? I wish you would elaborate, I hate when people make general statements with no supporting evidence. I think you are mistaking heavy aim assist for superior gameplay. Bad Company 2 is one of the most balanced and annoyance free games ever made.
    Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arcaed
    @Coltaine22:  I don't know what kind of experience you have in battlefield. If you find it incredibly balanced then that's fine, but I don't. I find some of the vehicles a bit much, and I'd be lying if I said slugs weren't a little crazy. But I never meant to imply anything about balance, I don't like the feel of the movement, I don't like how the guns wobble around, I don't like not going prone, I don't like the bolt action snipers, I don't like how much lag there is, I don't like the knife, I don't like not being able to see any sort of indication of how good my connection is, I don't like there being very little for my OCD side to "unlock" after level 20, I don't like how little customization goes into your "class". 

Of course, there are things I do like about the game, but you wanted me to "elaborate" on what was "wrong" with it, so I did. 
    Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Log

I never have a problem with campers... more than anything i hate when i rape campers and then see them get a huge killstreak because my team is too retarded to go a different way to get to him

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like objective based multiplayer so when I started played mw2 when it first came out and realized that everyone was using the objective game modes as a way to boost their K:D ratio I just stopped playing the multiplayer. It's nothing to get pissed about.

Strongbadman47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strongbadman47

For me and my friends, it's how people are trying to get the crazy killstreaks instead of having fun. So it spoils us trying to have a good time when mindless robots use the cheep tactics you mentioned in the blog.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Laharl

Most of the problems you mentioned are because of the MW2 community, killstreaks being ignored and not shot down, your teams fault(just make a class with cold blooded and a rocket launcher.) Camping and noob tube spam(which i think can be fixed by giving ppl one grenade to fire out of launcher) is just how everyone plays now. Nothing anyone can do about it really, so ive kinda decided to stop getting mad about it. My only real gripe with the game now is the god awful spawn system, it spawns you around your team so you can use teamwork to win, problem is teamwork either just never happens or being around your team just gets you killed(if you're playing hardcore, spawned into incoming fire or straight into killstreaks to die in half a second.) Or my favorite, you kill an enemy and the game decides its going to spawn him directly behind you so that he can get a revenge kill, completely screwing you over. Ultimately thats why i think BF is a better game is cause of two things, you can pick where you spawn and figure out where you are knowing where the enemy is so you have a chance and also a sense of balance between it all where tactics actually need to be shown and the need to do the objective is a little higher. Course i havent gotten around to playing BF:BC2 so for all i know the community is just as bad there.

Either way, fuck that spawn system, its the cause of 80% of my deaths.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joshakazam

I wrote on a review of it, you should read it!

Also, you seem like the kind of person that would enjoy Barebones.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By bed
    @Symphony said:
    " Woah it's like we went back in time and  are reading one of the thousands of posts from back when it was new.  Which I noticed you acknowledged sort of, but still....

These things have been in the game this whole time so if they still bother you, why would you not only keep playing but pay for extra maps? "
    what she said 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pessh

Killstreaks are shit, they go down in second, you're just bad. You're meant to use blast shield in HQ, and maybe check corners instead of running around like a fucknut? that way you wouldn't get killed by 'campers.' These threads were bad enough a week after release, but seriously? it's July now.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By 234r2we232

People boost-cheat in Barebones. For what possible reason? To annoy.

The vast majority of the community that play this game are pricks. I still say it's a enjoyable, well-made game, but christ, it doesn't feel worth it most days.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#20  Edited By citizenkane

Another thread hating on Modern Warfare 2?

Get the fuck over it people.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sjupp
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    "The vast majority of the community that play this game are pricks. I still say it's a enjoyable, well-made game, but christ, it doesn't feel worth it most days. "
    Pretty much this. I still play pretty often, although only with a few friends on my team. It's not worth it otherwise.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AjayRaz said:
    " @Symphony said:
    " Woah it's like we went back in time and  are reading one of the thousands of posts from back when it was new.  Which I noticed you acknowledged sort of, but still....

These things have been in the game this whole time so if they still bother you, why would you not only keep playing but pay for extra maps? "
    what she said  "
    Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arcaed
    @Pessh:  Yes, they certainly do, however pre level 30 (no stinger) and there's really nothing you can do. On top of that, trying to take down an AC130 alone is nearly impossible, as it takes as many as 4 launches to hit one, and by the time you fire two and die, it's fucking gone and you wasted time. Nukes are impossible to stop, and an "Iwin" button should never be in any game for any reason - yes an EMP can "prevent" them, but nothing can stop them. Doesn't matter how bad you are at the objective, as long as you can camp, and scrape together 25 kills, you win.  

Maybe next time you post on a thread you come up with something more creative than being another drone screaming "DURR ITS BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE!"
    RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RankRabbit

IMO Everything you just said there, without exception, was wrong, IMO, IMO bad company 2 is superior IMO, IMO IMO?

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pessh
    @Arcaed:  You're calling me out for not being creative? lmao, you realise you're the 100th person to make this thread right? Just an idea, but play with friends? I'm sure one of them is above level 30, taking out an AC130 by yourself is piss easy. Nukes are bs, but it's your fault for letting the other team get one, do you know what I do when someones close to a nuke? I find them and kill them, normally they dont get close though because we shoot down air support. Nothing is that bad in the game as long as you know how to play. If you don't like shit don't play. The game isn't the problem, its the thousands of 14 year old sheep that play it.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Symphony said:

this times 10 to the umpteenth power.
    Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arcaed
    @Pessh Alright you win. lol  

@RankRabbit
    said:
    " IMO Everything you just said there, without exception, was wrong, IMO, IMO bad company 2 is superior IMO, IMO IMO? "
    IMO
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

the only problem i have with this game is the spawn. they try spawning with the team but the team is sometimes somewhere near an enemy. so a person can spawn and get killed by someone that is camping at the spawn. they should change the spawns around to so if someone is camping at spawn there is another spawn in a different place. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29  Edited By natetodamax

I wonder if Modern Warfare 2 would be popular if you took out the entire ranking system and just had pre set classes, like CoD2.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Coltaine22 said:
    " @Arcaed:  ... I hate when people make general statements with no supporting evidence ...Bad Company 2 is one of the most balanced and annoyance free games ever made. "

No Caption Provided
    kylekrueger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kylekrueger
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Another thread hating on Modern Warfare 2?  Get the fuck over it people. "
    can anyone explain how this adds to the discussion? just seems like your post is more useless then the topic it self.
    On topic maybe mw2 isn't the game for you, its kinda sounds like everything you hate is what makes the game a call of duty.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Karl_Boss
    @kylekrueger said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " Another thread hating on Modern Warfare 2?  Get the fuck over it people. "
    can anyone explain how this adds to the discussion? just seems like your post is more useless then the topic it self.On topic maybe mw2 isn't the game for you, its kinda sounds like everything you hate is what makes the game a call of duty. "
    CitizenKane trolling? Mods aren't aloud to troll!
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By FreakAche

Modern Warfare 2 kind of awesome.

That's all the input I have for this thread. I don't feel like making an argument for it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Arcaed: People camp because they don't have future shields to protect them and they can be taken down in two seconds, and the same also happens to apply to the other team. That's just the best strategy in most cases, it isn't fun for anyone but you can't complain about the efficiency. If it's that big of a problem then rally up your bros and stomp the fucker into the ground. I for one always use perks that make me practically invisible to anyone who isn't looking directly at me so I never encounter this problem, though that' just the way I like to play. 

I really don't understand your complaint about Killstreaks though. I mean, a nuke ends a game pretty quickly but it takes a shitload of time to get it. If you recognize the issue and stop the player before he reaches that mark then it isn't that big of a problem. 

Also, I'm always completely invisible to killsteaks so...Not really a problem for me. 

Then again I don't play a whole lot of MW2 anymore so my opinion is virtually worthless.
    bearcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bearcat
    You've obviously got Steam, so why not try Battlefeild Bad Company 2? it's better because it's not just a minless run-and-gunner. You have to think and use tactics, work as a team, etc, etc. And, there's a free game called Alien Swarm, whic his a sky-veiw shooter where you level by doing missions in a group of 2, 3 or 4. You unlock weapons and can prestige up to three times, the top level being 27. it's brilliant fun as you can be a Special Weapons, with which you get big-ass guns, Tech, with which you unlock doors and panels by doing things like wiring a door up or aligning numbers. It's an excaellent team game, and even though it may not be as popualar as MW2, for free at least, it's ALOT better value.
    PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By PATERSON

I always think COD is about who sees who first, just basically luck.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Vinny_Says

what's so wrong with bad company 2? If MW2 makes you sick then play the myriad of other games available to you...

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Djeffers03

No Caption Provided
    SOLUTION.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.