Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

Monday Night Combat: Final Verdict

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

I first played Monday Night Combat five months ago at PAX East. Had this blog existed then, my "First Impressions" for the game would've read something like this:

"MNC was my favorite game at PAX. I even got to beat Morgan Webb in a head-to-head match-up: a moment that I'll treasure forever!"

Now that I've had a few days to delve into Uber's finished product, I'm more than ready to render my final verdict.

The Good: Virtually everything. All six character classes are balanced, well-developed, and fun to use. MNC's unique 3rd-person-shooter-meets-turret-defense gameplay is varied, well-paced, and - again - just plain fun.  Plus, the game's graphics are crisp and colorful, commentary is helpful and funny, and strategizing with teammates can be a blast... on those rare occasions when other players bother to talk!

The Bad: Currently, it's rare that I'm able to play more than two matches in a row without some sort of connection problem occurring. In some cases, the match that I'm playing is simply paused for a minute while a new host is chosen, but in other cases, the match is completely lost, and I get dumped back into an empty lobby. In the worst cases, I furthermore get an error screen that forces me to exit the game through the dashboard. This is a Big Problem. As an aside: one much smaller problem is that the game currently offers only four maps, which I'm sure will start growing stale before long.

The Stand-out Moment: Realizing that that one class you thought was useless is actually amazing.

The Final Verdict: 9.0 (out of 10)

But if and when Uber fixes MNC's terrible connection issues, I'll gladly upgrade the title to a 9.5!

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

I first played Monday Night Combat five months ago at PAX East. Had this blog existed then, my "First Impressions" for the game would've read something like this:

"MNC was my favorite game at PAX. I even got to beat Morgan Webb in a head-to-head match-up: a moment that I'll treasure forever!"

Now that I've had a few days to delve into Uber's finished product, I'm more than ready to render my final verdict.

The Good: Virtually everything. All six character classes are balanced, well-developed, and fun to use. MNC's unique 3rd-person-shooter-meets-turret-defense gameplay is varied, well-paced, and - again - just plain fun.  Plus, the game's graphics are crisp and colorful, commentary is helpful and funny, and strategizing with teammates can be a blast... on those rare occasions when other players bother to talk!

The Bad: Currently, it's rare that I'm able to play more than two matches in a row without some sort of connection problem occurring. In some cases, the match that I'm playing is simply paused for a minute while a new host is chosen, but in other cases, the match is completely lost, and I get dumped back into an empty lobby. In the worst cases, I furthermore get an error screen that forces me to exit the game through the dashboard. This is a Big Problem. As an aside: one much smaller problem is that the game currently offers only four maps, which I'm sure will start growing stale before long.

The Stand-out Moment: Realizing that that one class you thought was useless is actually amazing.

The Final Verdict: 9.0 (out of 10)

But if and when Uber fixes MNC's terrible connection issues, I'll gladly upgrade the title to a 9.5!

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By empfeix

Not enough maps is whats killing Bad Company 2 - its too bad.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm a GiantBomb user, I can't count past 5. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.