Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

Monday Night Combat Releasing On Steam This January

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

The clock is ticking on Monday Night Combat's Xbox Live Arcade exclusivity. Creator Uber Entertainment announced a PC version of the title last night that'll see a release via Steam this January 17. 

According to Uber, this version will sport a few cool features, including "spit-shined" visuals, dedicated server support, and eventually editor support at some point later in January. This version will also launch with the recently released "Spunky Cola Special" DLC, which added a couple of new maps, adjusted some pre-existing map problems, and carried some much-needed balance tweaks and fixes. 

MNC's Steam page is offering all pre-purchaser's a ten percent discount towards a purchase, bringing the game price tag down to an agreeable $13.49. But in addition to saving some cash, pre-purchasers will also get access to the game's PC beta that kicks off this Thursday and runs until the game's release.

If you didn't already know, MNC is a fantastic, class-based arena shooter. The character balance is solid, the shooting is good, and there's a surprising amount of depth and variety in the game. Give our review of the Xbox 360 version a read if you need more of a heads up.

[Thanks for the tip, Duran!]
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

The clock is ticking on Monday Night Combat's Xbox Live Arcade exclusivity. Creator Uber Entertainment announced a PC version of the title last night that'll see a release via Steam this January 17. 

According to Uber, this version will sport a few cool features, including "spit-shined" visuals, dedicated server support, and eventually editor support at some point later in January. This version will also launch with the recently released "Spunky Cola Special" DLC, which added a couple of new maps, adjusted some pre-existing map problems, and carried some much-needed balance tweaks and fixes. 

MNC's Steam page is offering all pre-purchaser's a ten percent discount towards a purchase, bringing the game price tag down to an agreeable $13.49. But in addition to saving some cash, pre-purchasers will also get access to the game's PC beta that kicks off this Thursday and runs until the game's release.

If you didn't already know, MNC is a fantastic, class-based arena shooter. The character balance is solid, the shooting is good, and there's a surprising amount of depth and variety in the game. Give our review of the Xbox 360 version a read if you need more of a heads up.

[Thanks for the tip, Duran!]
    Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Rothbart

Always wanted to play this game, now's the chance!

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ManlyBeast

I bought it on steam.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well that's just neat.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By jacdg

It's an absolutely fantastic game, maybe the best downloadable this year, and one of the best overall, it is a must "check out", although with TF2 being on PC, not sure if you dudes already has the chance to play something like it. But as for consoles, it's probably the best online 3rd person shooter out there, in my opinion.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By sammo21

I own this, and love it, on 360 but I just bought it and a copy for my friend.  Can't wait.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By emem

An error was encountered while processing your request:
     This item is currently unavailable in your region 

Not available in Germany (yet?).

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XTraFries

man....wish they were making it available on mac too.  
    And that more actual "games" for mac showed up on steam, instead of just valve releases and a couple little indie games. 

really been wanting to try this one out. 

JarenFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JarenFace

Anyone know if there's going to be a Mac version? Still debating if I should pick up this for the 360, but if there's a chance this will make a Mac appearance I'll hold out for that (I know a few of my steam friends are more inclined to play it than any of my 360 friends).

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stalefishies

Fantastic. I can't wait to pick this up.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

that ... is pretty cool, I might actually buy this again on PC

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By peewi

Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday?
    TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By TheSmashing

Hmm, Maybe I'll give it a try when its released but for now I'm sticking with TF2.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hitchenson

Will there be hats?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

Anything with buttery smooth chaos is damn wicked cool in my book. This is how you do a trailer of a game going to a new console/game system.

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By l3illyl3ob
    @Peewi said:
    " Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday? "
    Lead & Gold did the same type of beta and I think it was a pretty big failure for them.  It spread out the purchases by a lot, reducing the amount of simultaneous online players and consequently reducing community.   For a multiplayer game, to really sell it to the community, and to make it look as big and popular as possible, you need a single strong release with thousands of people playing, something this type of release can't do.  L&G also had some serious issues during its one month beta that unfortunately didn't get fixed for the retail release, which also didn't help, so hopefully MNC will fare better.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    @emem said:
    "  An error was encountered while processing your request: This item is currently unavailable in your region   Not available in Germany (yet?). "
    crap ... yeah ... according to their forum they dont have a rating in germany yet :/
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By korolev

Alright I'll give this a shot. I still play TF2 a lot, but there's no rule that I can't enjoy more than one team-focused, class-based, objective-filled shooter.  

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ___pocalypse

Yessss

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSully

I kind of wish it was on ps3 instead. I have been playing tf2 since it came out, and they seem lke very similar games, or atleast style of games. I still am interesting in i tthough, i may try it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration. 

In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463

Holy shit cakes I was never expecting this. It will be interesting to see how it fairs now that it's directly competing with stuff like TF2 since it's obviously so heavily inspired by it. I want to pick it up, but I'm not sure if it will keep being fun for more then a few days.

I will see if Steam does anything with it for their x-mas sale.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Shaka999

Mac version, please? :D
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463

Heh, just watched the trailer and I hope those mouse and keyboard weapons are in the game. 

I really hope enough people buy this game and show to these smaller developers that they can release stuff on PC too. Tired of the 360 getting stuff like Splosion Man, Limbo and Risk Factions and the rest of us not getting anything.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

it's a great game! I'm super excited to play with mouse and keyboard

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By leburgan
    @Peewi: A lot of times despite a developers best efforts the game doesn't work well on all pcs. Throwing it out there lets them test it, and makes sure that people understand it isn't the final product so they aren't seen as shipping an unfinished game.
    yindotrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#27  Edited By yindotrunks

This is a fantastic game. I've got it on Xbox already but I think I'll get it here too.

Nonentity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Nonentity

Thank god. Mouse control. I will purchase this game again just for that.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought this again for PC. The 360 community is kinda spotty and this game always seemed like it belonged on the PC to me.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Mercanis said:
    " The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
    It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive".
    Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sanious

The TF comparisons are pretty tired. Game definitely has it's own personality and it's good to see that it's coming to PC. Unfortunate that my PC blows and probably won't run it though.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SlightConfuse

if you have not played on 360 yet i highly recommend this game

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kinarion

I am concerned about the Sniper.  That class was powerful, albeit not overly so, in the console version.  With mouse control, I suspect it will be at the top of the heap.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By meteora
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " @Mercanis said:
    " The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
    It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive". "
    Just so we're clear, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the comparisons as much as people saying that MNC is a TF2 clone. 

Just like how any similar game out there that comes right after a successful one is labelled as a clone. Like I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno as God of War clones.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35  Edited By Crono
    @Meteora said:
    " @JoeyRavn said:
    " @Mercanis said:
    It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive". "
    Just so we're clear, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the comparisons as much as people saying that MNC is a TF2 clone.  Just like how any similar game out there that comes right after a successful one is labelled as a clone. Like I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno as God of War clones. "
    Top-down, hack-and-slash, action-RPGs ala Diablo are still called Diablo clones to this day as well.
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Meltac

Might pick this up, seems really cool, and I've grown a bit tired of TF2.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l3illyl3ob said:
    " @Peewi said:
    " Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday? "
    Lead & Gold did the same type of beta and I think it was a pretty big failure for them.  It spread out the purchases by a lot, reducing the amount of simultaneous online players and consequently reducing community.   For a multiplayer game, to really sell it to the community, and to make it look as big and popular as possible, you need a single strong release with thousands of people playing, something this type of release can't do.  L&G also had some serious issues during its one month beta that unfortunately didn't get fixed for the retail release, which also didn't help, so hopefully MNC will fare better. "
    That didn't help them with the XBLA version. There is almost  no community, and finding people to play against is only possible at 4pm GMT +10 weekdays.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l3illyl3ob said:

" @Peewi said:

Lead & Gold did the same type of beta and I think it was a pretty big failure for them.  It spread out the purchases by a lot, reducing the amount of simultaneous online players and consequently reducing community.   For a multiplayer game, to really sell it to the community, and to make it look as big and popular as possible, you need a single strong release with thousands of people playing, something this type of release can't do.  L&G also had some serious issues during its one month beta that unfortunately didn't get fixed for the retail release, which also didn't help, so hopefully MNC will fare better. "
    That didn't help them with the XBLA version. There is almost  no community, and finding people to play against is only possible at 4pm GMT +10 weekdays.    
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dragonzord
    @Crono said:
    " @Meteora said:
    " @JoeyRavn said:
    " @Mercanis said:
    Just so we're clear, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the comparisons as much as people saying that MNC is a TF2 clone.  Just like how any similar game out there that comes right after a successful one is labelled as a clone. Like I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno as God of War clones. "
    Top-down, hack-and-slash, action-RPGs ala Diablo are still called Diablo clones to this day as well. "
    Which is sad. They should call them Ys clones
    Grnd_Lb_Knt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Grnd_Lb_Knt

Didn't know about this. Interesting. Seems like it will take away from the already small XBOX community. Will this happen? I'm not familiar with things like this.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Mercanis said:
    Yes, but people will find any excuse to compare a game to something they feel is 'better' to try and discredit it.

In any case, finally broke down this morning and preordered it. Pretty excited for the beta.

@Kinarion said:
    " I am concerned about the Sniper.  That class was powerful, albeit not overly so, in the console version.  With mouse control, I suspect it will be at the top of the heap. "
    I haven't played the console version, but I suspect stuff like this is exactly what they'll try to fix with the beta. The guys over at Uber seem to have their heads on right so I think the PC version will be very polished.
    Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kinarion
    @PrimeSynergy: While I certainly hope you're right, the radial upgrade menus in that video at least suggest the sort of parsimonious porting that has gotten other games into trouble in the past. 

Still, after the sort of experience Uber is purported to have had with XBLA, they may be excited enough about returning to an open distribution platform to really go all out.  My fingers are crossed.
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

When I first saw this game, I wanted it for the PC.  This game has "PC game" written all over it.  It looks like a lot of fun, but I am still concerned about whether it will have the community to support it.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44  Edited By DrRandle

Ah-ha, is this our chance... for an awesome game?!

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By captain_clayman

YES  

i might try this out.   

@SSully
    said:

" I kind of wish it was on ps3 instead. I have been playing tf2 since it came out, and they seem lke very similar games, or atleast style of games. I still am interesting in i tthough, i may try it out. "
    agree it should be on PC as well
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DG991

An indie game... that was an xbox exclusive... and is coming to the PC... and it was actually good? 

Pre-ordered. 

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ch3burashka

All I want is for some TF2/MNC cross-promo. A "Meet The" video where the teams meet each other, or some cross-compat weapons, or SOMETHING. I have faith in Valve.

migviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By migviper

i might give this game a try. looks like a mix of tf2 class-based gameplay with the unreal tournament series futuristic and fragalicious style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.