Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 10, 2011

An upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS and Wii U.

How much of the game is playable alone?

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm thinking of getting this for Wii U, I had it for 3DS for a short while, but I felt like I ran into a wall where I just couldn't really complete any more of the game solo? I played 60 hours of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii but it was all in online coop so I just don't really know how much of the game is playable singleplayer.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking of getting this for Wii U, I had it for 3DS for a short while, but I felt like I ran into a wall where I just couldn't really complete any more of the game solo? I played 60 hours of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii but it was all in online coop so I just don't really know how much of the game is playable singleplayer.

All of it is solo-able. I did that, and it makes the game a lot more fun, to be honest. Only time I played with a group was when I needed to grind for an item, but the first time I went up against any particular monster was by myself (no Chacha / Kayamba, either).

This is one of the only games out there that feels satisfying to play if you play it this way.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I played it just by myself, and I imagine having a friend you always play with being the funnest way to play, but I had a blast playing the game just by myself. The game is pretty much all playable single player. So def get it.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By onarum

if you have a Wii U you can play the 3DS version online if you want to... don't see a reason to get the wii u version as well.

Though you can complete the entire thing by yourself, it just requires a lot of grinding to make good equipment.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: I no longer have the 3DS version, I got rid of it about a week after owning it.

Yeah I'm aware of the grinding aspect from Tri, I do wonder if the stuff in the multiplayer "lobby" area where you go to the mission board are scaled dynamically by the number of players or if they're all just automatically harder because they expect you to play with more than one person or maybe something else.

Are you guys talking about solely the single player area where you have your farm and all that or have you been able to solo the multiplayer island content as well?

thanks for the replies.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zeik

I haven't played Ultimate yet, so I can't speak for any of the new content, but did complete everything in Tri solo. The only time I played in a group was the online only content.

It's all very doable solo. In most cases I had way more fun solo, because with 4 people it often seemed like I barely had to do anything. Most of the skill and strategy required to beat them solo went out the window. (It was a lot like playing with phantoms in the Souls series vs playing solo.)

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Well, given the right equipment, Chacha and Kayamba, and a decent understanding of your weapon, most the crazy late-game stuff is possible. Maybe not some of the event quests, but it's possible to solo a good portion of the game (online quests, included). Personally, I didn't, because I found playing just solo (or in groups for that matter) for extended periods of time to get boring and would feel like shaking things up.

To answer your question about whether town quests are scaled, no, they aren't. It's the same level of difficulty, whether you're playing with four people or one. The village questline, however, has weaker monsters but ends with a G Rank quest, meaning the game kinda assumes you may wanna solo some end-game stuff.

That being said, if you ran into a wall and felt like you weren't having fun solo on the 3ds, I'm not sure playing it on the Wii U would be all that different.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When you enter the Tavern in Port Tanzia, all the quests from that area are scaled for four players. You'll notice that when you open up the supply box you will see items for four people and that number doesn't change whether you are dealing with one, two or three additional players. When I play with a full group, it doesn't feel like the monsters are reacting differently than they did solo in the same quest.

Solo is fun if you have the right weapon, set of traps and items. If you are soloing with a light bowgun, you may want to employ the help of your friends to keep the monsters off of you so that you can damage it appropriately.

The best part about playing on the Wii U is that there is a better sense of space. Even though I think the 3D effect on the 3DS helps in monster hunter when it comes to the UI elements, I prefer playing with more real estate. On the Wii U, having the right thumbstick is fantastic and nicer looking graphics makes everything easier on the eyes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.