Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 10, 2011

An upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS and Wii U.

I have no Wii U. Will buying this for the 3DS be inferior?

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've always wanted to try this series, but have never (for many of the reasons that Patrick states on the QL). Therefore, it seems like this one would be the one to get into the series with... or am I wrong?

If Tri U is the best entry, should I wait until I get a Wii U some time in the future (whenever that may be), or is the 3DS one perfectly fine? I don't want the portable version to be gimped.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious about this too. I also haven't a Wii U and have been wondering if I should grab it for 3DS? Or save money and pick up the original Wii version?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplayer is the best part about these games and no online for 3DS standalone kinda blows

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only have the 3DS version and it seems plenty good. But it depends on what you want. The 3DS doesn't have any online play (local only), and some have said that they don't like the 3DS camera controls (touchscreen DPad or Circle Pad Pro). If you're good with those two concessions, then it's pretty much the same game with a smaller resolution.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SaFt

The 3DS version doesn't have online play and since it lacks a second analog stick you'll have to rely on the L-button to center the camera behind the character.

Other than that i don't think there's any mayor differences other than the obvious higher resolution in the Wii U one. There should be a demo up on the 3DS eshop, you should check it out if you haven't already.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By metalsnakezero

3DS is perfectly fine despite no multiplayer and just a low level of graphics. I also recommend Circle Pad Pro for camera controls because the onscreen d-pad isn't good when you're in the heat of the moment.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Download the demo for your self.

I have also never played a monster hunter game before, But the game looks good, the controls are awakword, but having never played a monster hunter game before Im ok with that, and am willing to learn them. The only complaint I have with the graphics is the font, which looks just plain bad. I wish they would have used a bolder font, And spread the text up between more screens. because it is very hard to read.

But again there is a demo on the store, and unless you have a cap on your internet, there is no real reason not to try your self.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JZ

Yes

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By J12088

It's alright. I've never played one of these before and i don't find teh controls are getting me killed. I own a wii u though so if i ever get an itch to play online I'll just pick the wii u version up for cheap and transfer my character over.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inferior? Yes. Unplayable? No.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way the 3DS would be the better version is if you have friends with 3DSs that will buy the game and play it with you.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm getting the 3DS version first then the Wii U game somewhere later down the line. The biggest perks of the latter are the 1080p play and the online multiplayer. The latter although being a big component of the series isn't necessary for me. I like to play through them by myself first to get a feel for them. The 3DS game itself looks to be the same exact experience, except in my pocket which is the primary draw for me since it will mean I can actually have some time to play it while running around.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a chance to play the WiiU version at PAX and I think I hate the WiiU controller worse than the 3DS.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I had a chance to play the WiiU version at PAX and I think I hate the WiiU controller worse than the 3DS.

The game does support the Wii U Pro Controller and the Classic Controller so you don't have to use the Gamepad if you don't want to. Personally I've had no issues with the Wii U Gamepad.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

went with 3ds as i don't have a wiiu and kinda think portability suits it anyway. at least it'll be good practice for when/if i eventually go online, or when MH4 comes out.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

If you have friends to play with that eliminates the lack of online comparison. Playing with people locally is far superior in this game anyway.

I will tell you that a Circle Pad Pro is REQUIRED to enjoy playing this game on the 3DS. It's such a big difference, that if you are serious about playing it you can spare the £15 to get one. I'm really enjoying the single player part of the game with one as it is.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

After playing about 6 hours of the 3DS version I can safely say that it isn't that bad. I did cave in and bought a circle pad pro because I couldn't stand how the camera controlled without it but other then that I really like the 3DS version. The lack of online multiplayer really sucks though.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Dixavd

Remember that if you buy it on the 3DS and get a WiiU later, you just have to buy a copy for the WiiU and you can move all your progress on to there. And like others have said, there's a demo.

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BamSaidTheLady

I ended up buying both versions and found the 3DS one controls fine. I even fought some big monster underwater without the second analog stick and it was all right.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By killroycantkill

I have the 3DS version and they add a lot of useful things to the touch screen to make it control a lot easier without a second analog stick. Also I feel the added 3D adds to the monster fights. Especially when you get to the bigger monsters and their attacks kind of pop at the screen.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By rempresent

My plan was to farm on the 3DS at work or in bed, then play the more serious monsters on the Wii U. I only have the game for Wii U for now, I will be getting the 3DS version. Now that you can transfer saves, I don't think the time spent on the 3DS will be at a loss. Nothing on these two versions seems gimped, it is your comfort level with the hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My older brother is currently playing it a lot and really liking it. First monster hunter game he has played and he has no issue's with it really. He says once you learn to manage some of the control twerks that it is totally fine.

Just realize there is no online before buying, but there is some awesome co-op which I actually prefer to play anyways.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the same exact game but with no online. The guild quests (The Multiplayer Missions) scale with how many people are in the mission, so everything is completely solo-able. It really depends on how much you value playing with friends/people.

What you could do is get the 3DS version and start working on a character on that. Then if you ever get a Wii U, buy the game Wii U Version and you can transfer your character over so you can play online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.