Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 10, 2011

An upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS and Wii U.

Is this going to be anyone else's first Monster Hunter?

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've never played Monster Hunter before, I've always been intrigued by it, but I never got around to trying it. However with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate coming out soon, I've decided to go all-in and get both versions of the game. Is anyone else in a similar scenario? It'd be cool to have a group of duders all learning about this game together.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'd love to get the WiiU version too, but there's no chance of me getting a WiiU. Hyped for the 3DS one, but I've played a lot on the PSP before.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through Freedom Unite and 3rd Portable, but skipped over all the console releases. Handheld Monster Hunter is infinitely more appealing to me, so I'm probably just going to get the 3DS version.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

I played Freedom on the PSP and the original release of Tri in the Wii... I really love the games, but hate playing them single-player, and I could never find a group to team up with online (Since I was going through early areas, and everybody online was much further into the game)

I'm considering picking this up for the 3DS if any of my friends get it, since it would be pretty awesome doing local wireless multiplayer... but chances are none of them will be into it, and I'll end up passing on it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've played Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, which is basically Monster Hunter; so I guess not.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This will be my first one I'll try to get into. Getting the Wii U version.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of curious to see how many new players pick it up. Maybe it's just because the Wii U doesn't have much else going on right now, more so now that Rayman Legends has been delayed, but I feel like MH3U has more buzz around it than previous games in the series.

MasonL87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely getting this for my 3DS, might grab it on the wiiU also if I can get a good deal on a bundle of some kind. I know right now amazon is selling both on pre-order together for 80, which is better than the 100 you would normally pay. Still, it kinda makes me wish for some kind of cross-play promotion like sony has for some games.

Either way, this will be my first real experience with a MH game, and I cannot wait!

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpwll said:

I'm kind of curious to see how many new players pick it up. Maybe it's just because the Wii U doesn't have much else going on right now, more so now that Rayman Legends has been delayed, but I feel like MH3U has more buzz around it than previous games in the series.

I think you are right. I bought a WiiU only for MH3U and Rayman Legends was just a bonus. Now with that gone, the Wii U is pretty much a Monster Hunter machine.

But I am really glad to see more people interested in MH games! I have always been a major fan, but it is hard to explain to people why the games are so amazing. Hopefully the recent success of games like Dark Souls / ZombieU, people will at least take the time to learn MH properly. At first it seems clunky / grindy, but as soon as you get a handle on the controls and take down that epic monster after a 30 min battle...it is a feeling very few games can offer.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masonl87: If you're in the US you can get both for $80 off Amazon, just scroll down this page to where it's got the option to preorder them together. Bummer they're not doing anything like that over here in Australia.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpwll said:

I think you are right. I bought a WiiU only for MH3U and Rayman Legends was just a bonus. Now with that gone, the Wii U is pretty much a Monster Hunter machine.

But I am really glad to see more people interested in MH games! I have always been a major fan, but it is hard to explain to people why the games are so amazing. Hopefully the recent success of games like Dark Souls / ZombieU, people will at least take the time to learn MH properly. At first it seems clunky / grindy, but as soon as you get a handle on the controls and take down that epic monster after a 30 min battle...it is a feeling very few games can offer.

Yeah I think the barren wasteland that is the Wi U's upcoming releases page will get this game some more attention for sure. As for me I've always been a fan of the series from a distance, but for whatever reason I'm really excited to pick this one up.

MasonL87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MasonL87
    @rpwll said:
    @indiefinch said:

@rpwll said:

Yeah I think the barren wasteland that is the Wi U's upcoming releases page will get this game some more attention for sure. As for me I've always been a fan of the series from a distance, but for whatever reason I'm really excited to pick this one up.

Same. Really enjoyed the 3DS demo (Switch-Axe, motherfucker!!!) but oddly enough found the WiiU demo to be unweildy and hard to control. Probably because my fingers naturally rest on the ZR and ZL buttons, which don't do anything.

rrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rrang

After watching the Quick Look last night, and playing the demo again... I bit the bullet and decided to jump on getting a Wii U. Helps that Target is having some great deals right now ($50 dollar Gift card when you get a Wii U Deluxe, and Buy 2 Get 1 Free)

Wii U Deluxe + MHU3, NSMBU, and ZombiU for 410... Not bad!

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is going to be my first Monster Hunter game and it's all thanks to @patrickklepek. If it wasn't for him spending all that time talking about it on the bombcast or that awesome quick look he did with Vinny I don't think I would of ever given this game a chance. I'm glad I did, it seems pretty cool so far. Thanks Patrick!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of. Played a few hours one the psp one, but this time Im playing it for real :)

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've played a good number of them. I played the first one on the PS2, I've played Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite (which I decided to start playing again) and now I'm kind of interested in playing MH3U. The problem is, I don't have a Wii U and kind of don't want to drop close to $500 for the Wii U and the game.

But I really like using the gunlance ><

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I played a little bit of the original MH3 on the Wii, but I'm hoping to get into it more seriously with Ultimate.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Got the 3DS version and really liking it. Once I get a Wii U I'll get my co-op on.

jetpackbobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time player here. Was interested after watching the quick look and the. The Wii U was heavily discounted here in the UK by the retailer HMV so I grabbed it and Monster Hunter.

Have only played about an hour so far but I am enjoying it. I like the humour, some great lines and fun characters. I was a bit confused about all the gear I started with. I wasn't expecting to have a set of armour and weapons already equipped and I haven't worked out how to dump the weapons I don't need at the moment.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing for 2 days on my 3DS. Pretty good so far. Lack of online is pretty fucking shitty though. Waiting on an imported CPPXL so I can do underwater half competently.

Saucy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my first MH game. So far I have defeated the Lagiacrus and moved into 5* quests. I found I had to invest an entire Saturday into the game to really get into it. I definitely had to read about the game to understand some of the appeal. If you don't have some understanding of the strategy behind the weapons and monsters, it's easy to feel like you're just smashing two buttons and rolling/lblocking a lot. Learning what limbs, armor, tails, etc. can be cut-off and smashed is a big deal. My most satisfying moment was fighting the Barroth, cutting off its tail for the first time, and watching as it tried to slash at me with the stub. I really want to get into some multiplayer, but I haven't had any success joining a lobby. I'm not sure why yet.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Picked up MH3U for the WiiU because I wanted to play the original MH3 for the Wii. Then, started playing it and thought this would be great to take around the place, so I picked up a 3DS XL at Target for $159.99 price along with MH3U for it. The 3DS version is really great, worth it to run around and do some quick hunting/gathering then transfer it all to the WiiU on the weekends. I don't care for the controls via the WiiU Tablet, will more then likely use a Pro Controller. What a great game.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By Hector

It was about to be my first MH game until I played the demo. I could not deal with the "animation priority aspect of the game. I just thought it was sluggish and there is too much stuff to keep track of.

jetpackbobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played 8 hours now. Killed a great jaggi and captured and killed the bear (forget its correct name). I'm definitely hooked, want to play just one more quest all the time.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

I bought a 3DS XL last week and pick this up along with it. I played for about 2 hours so far. Seems interesting.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
    michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a Wii U, but I was thinking about getting it for 3DS as my first MH game. Some of my friends have played a couple of the PSP MH games extensively, but they don't want to pick MH3U up because they feel it is "too easy." Should I still pick it up and play by myself? Is it a good first MH game to play?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a Wii U, but I was thinking about getting it for 3DS as my first MH game. Some of my friends have played a couple of the PSP MH games extensively, but they don't want to pick MH3U up because they feel it is "too easy." Should I still pick it up and play by myself? Is it a good first MH game to play?

It's the most friendly towards first time users, and gets pretty challenging once you hit the end of high rank and G rank. It basically cuts out a lot of the bullshit "gather x number of item" quests at the start and lets you get to the meat of the game faster than all the other games in the series.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically my first was the first PSP game, but I didn't play that too much. I tried the demo of this on the 3DS and thought it would be fun to get into, but after fighting the easy ranked monster from the demo I realized the game is pretty boring and tedious without other people. That battle took way too long and it was supposed to be easy.

I decided I'll wait till Monster Hunter 4 comes out on the 3DS with real online support. It's almost insulting that we're getting this game now, considering how soon MH4 is coming out in Japan with the basic feature that this game is desperately lacking in.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By confusedowl

I've played Freedom unite, portable 3rd and the original tri so this will be my fourth Monster Hunter. I only have the 3DS version right now because I don't have a wiiu but so far I'm really enjoying it even without the online functionality. I forgot how slow tri started out, so much damn tutorial stuff compared to the other ones. I wish they at least gave you the option to skip some of it.

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is my first Monster Hunter (3DS version), and I'm 9 and a half hours into it and really enjoying it. My entire 3DS library consists of games 8-4 Play convinced me to buy on their podcast. This and Fire Emblem is all I own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.