Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 10, 2011

An upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS and Wii U.

My time with Monster Hunter so far

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Fallen189

Hey dudes,

So...I've always been into Monster Hunter, philosophically, but I could never bring myself into actively getting into them. Maybe it's the fact that I couldn't do the claw because I have funky wrists. Maybe they came at a time when I couldn't dedicate myself to them, who knows? But I got MHU3 lately for the 3DS, and wow have I ever fallen hard into it. I don't quite know what it is about the game that really does it for me. It's probably the base mechanics and how I view the game as a whole. Allow me to elaborate:

The story in the game might aswell not be a thing. It's paper thin, and the dialogue doesn't do it for me either. I know the dudes at 8-4 do a great job translating...but I find myself skipping through any and all text to get to the real meat and potatoes of the game. The hunts. I know this might surprise you, but the main thing to do in MH3U is to hunt monsters, kill them, and use their parts to create new gear. Weird right? But despite the fact that the Giant Monster hunts are absolutely incredible (More on that later), it's the whole aspect of co-existing in the world that they've created that really adds to the atmosphere and tension (?) of the game. Let's say you've just tracked and killed a huge monster, but you're a LITTLE short of the items you need to craft a new bowgun. You can easily take 45 minutes to get out there in the world, mining ore, catching bugs, fishing up fish, getting honey- the things you might take as a pre-requisite to the hunt. The whole idea of self-sustainability in the MH franchise is one that really kinda does it for me. You're an adventurer who has to live off the land, and they've executed that in an incredibly satisfying manner. Not in a contrived way like Skyrim or something, but in a wholly realistic sense, where everything you collect, you feel satisfied for, because you went out of your way to pick it up. It's hard to describe how effective it is, but if you've played it, you probably get it.

If we're being granular about it, I'd probably liken the game to Dark Souls, despite the fact that may be a reductive comparison. The animation priority, the emphasis on game-play mechanics being used to create emergent story details, and the best of breed combat really put them in a similar world. I think that's why I was drawn so much to Ultimate 3rd. I was OBSESSED with Dark Souls. I did everything on that game, platinum trophy twice level of love for it. I still find it hard to play games that are not Dark Souls, really. But MH might be my new thing. Maybe.

Before I end, I'd be remiss if I didn't retell an anecdote about my latest "Big hunt". So I was chasing down a Giant Wroggi, a subspecies of dinosaur that's incredibly fast, vicious, and has a poison cloud AOE. After a bit of sneakery, creating potions, and preparing myself, I finally tracked him down to the North of my location. This was with 50 minutes on the clock. What then entailed was an incredibly harrowing 30 (This is not hyperbolic) minutes where our mutual back and forth was happening all over the map. I had him hit with a paintball, so I could track his movements. Then I hit a bit of a snag. I was getting kind of low...but I'd ran out of potions. I was at about 30% HP, and then the inevitable happened. He called in his friends, nothing more than fodder at this point, but they kept me busy. While I fought off these others, he managed to scarper away into a hidey hole and escape to a new area. Big deal, I thought, I'll chase him down. But I realized he wasn't appearing on my map. It turned out that in the tussle, the paintball ran out moments earlier, and I'd lost him. At this point, you can imagine my frustration. With 15 minutes on the clock, I frantically went from area to area, with little luck. When I finally found him, I knew I had to end it quick. He'd healed a bit, and was only barely limping, and I was already at deaths door. For the next 10 minutes STRAIGHT we duked it out, with him failing to land almost a SINGLE hit on me, until I ate a tail swipe, and got comboed by the fodder dudes. At about a literal 5% HP, I entered a kind of zen state. I knew exactly what I had to do to beat him, and I was almost certain I had the skill to do it. Most people call it "Flow", but it's basically a state of mind where you subconsciously know what you have to do, and just...do it.

With 3 minutes on the clock, I brought the greatsword down, and cut him to the ground. It was finally over. Without realizing it was 2am, I actually shouted "Yes!" and fistpumped. Adrenaline was running high, and I was indescribably accomplished with what I'd done. I can't wait to fight him again.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeap, you have played some monster hunter. I don't know about the combat being best in class or anything but it is a criminally under rated game in the US.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am tempted to pick it up today wile I am out. Still on the edge not fully sure.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

I think I'm gonna go with this instead of BioShock Infinite this month.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad that you are enjoying it! The best part is that feeling continues to grow. Soon enough you will be facing monsters that will terrify you. Then when you take those down, you fight ones that are even worse.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just took down my first Great Jaggi and captured my first Arzuros without dying. Looks like my time playing freedom unite on my psp last week is paying off! I did screw up the first trapping attempt with Arzuros since I forgot that you can't put two traps down on a map, so I had to kill Winnie the Pooh.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@insane_shadowblade85: Couldn't you just wait for the first trap to expire? Or for the Azuros to walk into one of them haha. I've only messed up one trapping so far 20 hours in, because 2 of my tranq bombs hit a little mob that got in the way, and 1 never cuts it. Just wait till they limp and its all good. Also totally didn't know you could shock trap underwater, so that was a surprise.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MideonNViscera

The Great Worggi or whatever it is was my first really epic hunt too. I can tell this is gonna be the kind of game where I'm really satisfied with my accomplishments.

insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insane_shadowblade85: Couldn't you just wait for the first trap to expire? Or for the Azuros to walk into one of them haha. I've only messed up one trapping so far 20 hours in, because 2 of my tranq bombs hit a little mob that got in the way, and 1 never cuts it. Just wait till they limp and its all good. Also totally didn't know you could shock trap underwater, so that was a surprise.

Didn't know about the underwater things, that'll be interesting. Also, yeah, I could've waited for the first trap to expire, but I made a mistake and Yogi had to pay for it. Plus, it gave me an excuse to see if I got any better with my gunlance. That, and if I mess up on trapping something I lose all of my patience and just kill the thing I'm trying to catch ><

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld said:

Didn't know about the underwater things, that'll be interesting. Also, yeah, I could've waited for the first trap to expire, but I made a mistake and Yogi had to pay for it. Plus, it gave me an excuse to see if I got any better with my gunlance. That, and if I mess up on trapping something I lose all of my patience and just kill the thing I'm trying to catch ><

Haha that's fair!

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Sayishere

Perfect summary of monster hunter, it has those mmo trappings with straight up better combat. The monsters you fight get bigger and more vicious each time. And you revisit older monsters you fight, it's satisfying to encounter and push their shit in, like a aha moment of pure awesomeness. I literally bought a wii u just to play it, and I'm not disappointed.

insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: Yep. The awesome/sad thing about that trapping was, after I trapped the Arzuros, I noticed a sparkly object near it. When I picked it up I found that it was a "Beast Tear". I felt kind of bad after that ;_;

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I teamed up with a buddy of mine tonight on Monster Hunter. It was a a lot of fumbling trying to figure out how to team up in the game but once we were in it was great. Arzuros was quite a surprise. Took us a bit but we got him. Can't wait to do that again. I need to practice my controls though. At the moment I'm playing with the Switch Axe. Originally wanted to try a gun since I was picturing big game hunts with a gun. I may still go back to it but I'm really trying to learn my timing and reach with the axe.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bollard

@chavtheworld: Yep. The awesome/sad thing about that trapping was, after I trapped the Arzuros, I noticed a sparkly object near it. When I picked it up I found that it was a "Beast Tear". I felt kind of bad after that ;_;

Hahahah, I get a kind of perverse joy now when I see a beast shed a tear (if you have sound on, you can hear it fall too, it makes a "ching!" noise. Like if you have ever hit a Felyne and they have left a sparkly thing behind.) Mainly because I know it meant I was whooping their ass ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.