Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an expanded version of Monster Hunter 4.

A good MH4U wiki?

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, MH4U is my first MH game and I was wondering if anyone had a good MH4U (or just MH in general) wiki in their pocket. I've come across a couple from google like:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_4_Ultimate

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/monster-hunter-4

They both seem to be good about listing everything with a description but they don't really answer some common questions that I have. I'm looking for more of a dark souls 2 like wiki with more analysis, like what is a dung bomb good for? What is this torch that's in every supply chest that I always ignore good against, I swung it at a Zambrios (sp?) [ice monster] and it didn't do anything? Should I make/use raw/poisoned meats and who would they be good against or should I just continue ignoring these as well? Maybe some sort of table to analysis the most effective way of getting armor skills.

Thanks in advance, loving this game so far, there's an addictive "one more boss" quality that makes it hard to put down! I just didn't want to get to the end of the game and realized that I've been missing the fun or that I've been making it harder on myself by not using the right items for the job.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By NeoCalypso

Honestly it sounds like you don't need a wiki as much as you need a guide. Alternatively you can probably just ask questions here and people probably wouldn't mind answering them.

For example... 1. The dung bomb when thrown at large boss monsters will make them flee that area. Useful for quests where there happens to be two monsters and you only want to fight one at a time.

2. The Torch I'm fairly sure is just a holdover from MH:Tri where the game had legitimately dark caves and you couldn't see much without em. Side effects however are that small non-boss enemies will avoid attacking you while it's out and those annoying huge bug(Bnahabra) enemies will immediately swarm to you once you pull one out.

3. Status meats(Poisoned/Tinged/Drugged) cause immediate status effect on monsters that happen to eat them. However most monsters won't eat them unless the meat is on the ground when they finally run out of stamina and get hungry.

As for the armor skills thing. The most useful thing you can get is this program called "Athena's Armor Set Search" that has will allow you to plug in the skills you want and it will generate a list of armor pieces that will allow you to obtain those skills. It's a very well known and reputable program in the MH community btw if you're worried about that sort of thing.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: http://www.reddit.com/r/monsterhunter

It's a very passionate community, and you will get a detailed response within minutes.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fRAWRst

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u

is constantly being updated as people farm drops and what you should be using

as for general questions, its best if you ask here or a forum with friendly members

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lanechanger

Cool thanks guys, I'm just gonna fire off more questions then!

Can any weapons cut off tails if aimed properly or does it specifically have to be from a blade weapon? (feel like I smack enough tails with my gunlance but never see a tail come off, but I've broken off fangs and other body parts many times)

Also, are bomb items usable if you're melee? I haven't used them and have always imagined them as something you lay down, and then running off to shoot it for massive damage.

Avatar image for rabid_chinchilla2195
    rabid_chinchilla2195

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only cutting damage (and maybe projectiles i don't know i dont play a gunner) can cut tails but both lance variants deal cut damage,

you can throw rocks/paintballs to set off bombs but if the monster is sleeping then there is no reason to not just hit the bomb with melee

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@lanechanger: Only cutting damage. Cuttable tails have a cut durability that goes down as it receives cutting damage. Once that hits 0, it pops off. This includes Slicing S for Bowguns and IIRC Boomerangs, but really if you're playing solo you just need a sword, spear or axe. Gunlances work.

Bombs are most typically used on sleeping monsters. Small Barrel Bombs have a timed fuse, so as a melee what you can do is set up the Large Barrel Bombs + near the monster, then a Small Barrel Bomb within range to trigger the Large Barrel Bombs + but not actually hit the monster. This way, the sleeping damage multiplier is applied to the Large Barrel Bombs +.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabid_chinchilla2195: Actually the cool thing about lances is (unless they changed it for 4U) they capable of doing either cutting or impact damage depending on which part of the monster they hit. If the part you hit takes more damage from impact then it'll do that damage as impact and vice versa. The Rathalos for example you would do cutting damage to his tail, but impact damage to the back or belly.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the tips guys, ended up gunlancing a rathalos tail just now! Had to not shoot at the tail and just focused on it with the lance part instead. That bomb combo sounds fun, I'll have to bring some and try that out on my next hunt.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only cutting damage (and maybe projectiles i don't know i dont play a gunner) can cut tails but both lance variants deal cut damage,

you can throw rocks/paintballs to set off bombs but if the monster is sleeping then there is no reason to not just hit the bomb with melee

Do the bombs blow up and hurt you when you hit it with melee? I feel like I did that and it blew up on me. It coulda been the monster flailing and hitting me without me realizing it but I think the monster was stunned from a mount attack when I setup/hit the bomb...

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Ooooh yeah, they absolutely hurt you. Infact that's actually an intentional strat some of the best players use. They start a mission and immediately bomb themselves to next to no health to take advantage of the armor skill "Potential" which raises your damage/defense a bunch when below 40% health. It allows for extremely quick kills/captures. As an alternative though you can throw stones or throwing knives at the barrel to blow them up. Or you can set a small barrel bomb which is on a short timer.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks NeoCalypso! I'd say that's a good enough reason not to hit it with melee for a newbie though -.-

Another question I had, I'm seeing in the monster hunter wiki that there are elemental weaknesses to bosses. Zamtrios, for example, has water & ice as elements and fire & thunder as weaknesses. Are there elemental absorptions or weaknesses on the player's end? Like if I had an ice/water weapon, would that be halved against Zamtrios? I've been favoring regular weapon damage upgrades over specializing with an elemental damage upgrade because of this.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@lanechanger: One other thing you can do with large bombs in MH4U when you use sword and shield: you can combo from normal attacks into putting down a bomb (quicker with trap master skill), attack the bomb, and dodge out of the explosion with evasion+ skill. It has limited use, but it deals pretty big damage fairly quickly. I think it's called stylish bombing.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NeoCalypso

@lanechanger: So yeah this is stuff I'm a little hazy on but I think when it comes to elemental stuff it's completely different depending on the monster. For example Zamtrios does not take any ice or water elemental damage. Basarios on the other hand has fire element affinity and does take fire damage but only 10% of it. While Rathalos shares the fire affinity and ignores fire damage on every part of it's body except it's back where it takes 10% of the fire damage done. So you really have to just look up how it works for each individual monster but your method of just going for straight raw damage is generally thought of as the way to go. You almost always want to prioritize raw over elemental. You can check out this link to read up a bit on how the damage formula works but basically elemental damage listed on your weapon is calculated and then divided by 10 when everything is said and done.

In the player's case obviously as indicated by the status screen

No Caption Provided

your resistances are totally armor(and food buff) based. You get 1% damage reduction for every point of elemental resistance and take 1% more damage for every negative point. Absorption is definitely not possible. Again my knowledge is a little hazy here so corrections are welcome.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When your weapon sharpness goes down and your attacks starts bouncing/deflecting off of certain parts of the monster, are you doing ANY damage to them? Or are you simply just dulling your blade even more? I have a tough time with Yian Garuga which seems to deflect my attacks in most parts of its body as soon as my weapon reaches yellow

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Your weapon gets a damage modifier based on sharpness. The duller it gets, the less damage it does. At Yellow weapons do standard or x1.0 damage. Green is x1.125 while Orange is x0.75. I remember there was some disagreement about whether or not deflected attacks did less damage. There's a connect modifier based around having sharpness at Yellow or lower that can reduce damage to x0.7 or x0.6 but honestly I'm not sure if that applies to deflected attacks specifically. Anecdotally I'll say deflected attacks probably do reduced damage.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Going back to your previous question about raw vs elemental, generally speaking, raw is better to focus on. Elemental damage will only grant you an advantage with specific weapons against specific enemies. Elemental damage is weapon agnostic, meaning 300 fire damage on a Hammer will be doing as much per hit as 300 fire damage on a Dual Blades, and since Dual Blades does about 10 hits in the time a Hammer hits once, elemental damage becomes a significantly more effective stat.

I wouldn't recommend worrying about elemental damage until you're doing higher rank guild stuff.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lanechanger

@starvinggamer Thanks!

Do you pros out there have any advice on dealing with an enraged monsters or two monsters at once? Being a newbie slow gunlancer, I tend to dung bomb when there are two monsters or simply wait it out at another zone until I see the two separate and try to keep the fight as a 1 on 1, some of the missions have been a bit more annoying where the two monsters love to just take off and fly to the same zone together. And for enraged monsters I find that I can't repeatedly block their attacks when they're that fast so I've since tried to sheath my weapon and just dodge continually until they stop raging but I just read that some monsters tend to go in a perma rage mode so it sounds like I need to just learn how to deal with it and fight through it.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MezZa

@lanechanger said:

@starvinggamer Thanks!

Do you pros out there have any advice on dealing with an enraged monsters or two monsters at once? Being a newbie slow gunlancer, I tend to dung bomb when there are two monsters or simply wait it out at another zone until I see the two separate and try to keep the fight as a 1 on 1, some of the missions have been a bit more annoying where the two monsters love to just take off and fly to the same zone together. And for enraged monsters I find that I can't repeatedly block their attacks when they're that fast so I've since tried to sheath my weapon and just dodge continually until they stop raging but I just read that some monsters tend to go in a perma rage mode so it sounds like I need to just learn how to deal with it and fight through it.

Dung bombs are usually how i handle multiple monsters in one zone unless the second monster is something easy that i can fight through. If I'm with friends with voice chat, in the past we've just had one guy distract a second monster and warn us when it peels off of him.

I don't gunlance much, but if it's like the lance, you shouldn't let up on your attacks at all. If you're running out of stamina while the monster rages it sounds like you're standing there blocking too much. Don't block everything. Even if you can block the attack without taking damage, hopping out of the way should be your main priority. You can't block and counter like a lance user can, so for you blocking kills your momentum hard. If you're being focused by the monster with an impossibly tough series of attacks, sheathe and circle around it and then move back in immediately when its stuck in an attack animation and go to town again. You'll recognize these moments the more you play. You shouldn't really ever have to sheathe much once you get really good. Your fights are going to take far too long if you don't learn how to get hits in while its raging, and some monsters perma-rage like you said or need to be knocked out of rage. Just take some extra caution, but don't be so cautious that you aren't attacking anymore.

Dropping your shield and only blocking at the exact moment that you need to block an attack will help you manage your stamina as well, since you recover stamina at a reduced rate when the shield is up. There are few attacks/combos that will take out your entire stamina bar, and if you notice this happen then you need to make a mental note to dodge those attacks instead of block.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: It depends on the monsters of course. Divide and conquer will always be the smartest strategy. If that's not possible, my old favorite is Flash Bombs. If you can hit both monsters with a single Flash Bomb, you buy yourself a lot of time to pile as much damage as you can on the weaker monster.

In terms of enrage, well, what armor are you using? I haven't played enough 4U to know where to get it, but as a GL user you definitely want the Guard and Guard Up armor skills. Alternatively, you could try picking up a Lance and going the Evade route. Also you might want to consider simply using a different weapon on your trouble monsters. I love the GL but there are plenty of monsters that are significantly easier to kill with something like a Hammer.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a question! I'm in Harth right now, and I'm wondering if I should be making the armor sets with high defense, or the sets with more balanced resistance. Is the resistance stuff better later in the game? Or should I be using it now? (I'm referencing how each monster set has a resistance set and a pure defense stat set)

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a new batch of questions:

Does anyone have a good resource for the mechanics of palico leveling in combat? Do they get exp per hit that they do? Per kill? What about team/forte skills? Should I sit back and let them do all the heavy lifting if I'm looking to level a palico?

Has anyone managed to get their hands on a list of all the MH4U awards?

In the guild card under the monster log, what do those crowns mean? For some of them I have a silver crown, some of the other ones I have a gold crown.

On a monster that's sleeping, if I use both a large bomb and the small timer bomb, would the small timer bomb get the bonus sleeping damage instead of the large bomb since it detonates first? Should I be triggering the large bomb through a projectile if I'm looking to maximize that sleeping damage in that case?

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Niceanims

@lanechanger: Don't know much about palico leveling, I just set em to train or deploy em.

The crowns refer to monster sizes in centimeters. Silver crowns are really small, gold is really big.

Never ever use small bombs on sleeping monsters. The small bomb will get the bonus damage.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: I'm pretty sure they just gain XP for going with you. Also since it takes them forever to kill anything big, it would probably still be faster even if you were doing most of the work. Also eating Fish + Veg before a mission gives you the Felyne Trainer skill which boosts their XP gain so there's that.

IIRC gold crowns are for defeating the biggest and smallest possible sizes of a boss monsters. Silver crowns are for defeating monsters that are almost max size, big and small, but not quite gold crown size.

If you're using small bombs to detonate big bombs, you just want to put the small bomb close enough to hit the big bombs without being close enough to hit the monster. Put the large bombs a little bit away from the monster and the small bombs even further away. This takes some getting used to since there's no range indicator. If you're having too much difficulty doing it that way there are other methods such as a ranged weapon, throwing a stone or boomerang, or triggering the explosion with a long-range melee attack like a full hammer charge.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: dont believe the mechanics have been laid out yet, but it seems to be to be a just "killed/cap x monster, get x exp for palinco". Some are fully support, some steal, some heal and taunt etc, so I doubt the exp gain is tied to actual actions and not just quests completed/monsters hunter.

MH4UDex is a free pc download that contains all the guild card awards. It also has everything else in the game, so its a cool download. I tried googling but havent found a website with this info compiled yet.

Crowns are monster sizes, big crowns for big monsters tiny crowns for tiny monsters. Silver crowns are just telling you that you're close to the largest/smallest versions of a monster. They are linked to guild card awards so many people end up farming a single monster just to get the gold crown for each.

Yes, if the small bomb hits first its the one that does 3x sleeping bonus damage. Compensate for this by putting the small bomb far enough away so that its explosion only hits the large bombs. Or throw a rock, or paintball, or hit it yourself

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does high fire resistance eventually nullify burning taken from fire damage? I'm actually trying to gear/decorate to decrease some of the elemental damage I take and when I was fighting a gravios this time with a fire res of 23, I feel like his fire attacks were not setting me on fire for once. I also had a vegetable/diary combo for Fire Res (L) and Felyne Firestarter so wasn't sure whether it's the high resistance or whether it was one of those skills (although I didn't see anything about Firestarter nullifying burning from the MH wiki). And if it indeed is just a certain resistance threshold, then does anyone know what the magic number is? And would other resistances do the same? (e.g. high thunder resis nullify thunderblight?)

Also, trying to do downloadable bonus quest where you get 10 secret stash. Are there some secrets that I'm missing to getting those cats to spawn the secret stash? I fought cats for like 20 minutes and only got 3 then I abandoned the quest.

Not a question, but I encountered a miniature dwarf tetsucabra that was like my size from one of those event quests and thought that was adorable, and also felt a little bad beating it up

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

@lanechanger: AFAIK +10 res negates regular blights and +20 negates large blights. The 3 secret stashes sounds like bad luck. Shiny drops from Melynxes (black cats) should have a 50% chance of being a Secret Stash. Also yeah, the quests where they really mess with monster size are fun.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lanechanger

I'm trying to do HR6's "Advanced: Dragon Attack", it involves fighting 2 large monsters in the arena. How do I activate the gate in the middle? I'm not getting the prompt when I'm near one of the 4 switches.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NeoCalypso
    @lanechanger said:

I'm trying to do HR6's "Advanced: Dragon Attack", it involves fighting 2 large monsters in the arena. How do I activate the gate in the middle? I'm not getting the prompt when I'm near one of the 4 switches.

Supposedly you don't, that gate apparently has to be specifically set to work on the quest and there are no quests that use it outside of that DLC quest with the Najarala and the Tetsucabra.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: aww man, not cool D: on the other hand, I learned what smoke bombs do so... probably need to spam that and try to dps one down asap! Thanks

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a way to like "unset" a trap? Or have both my traps active at the same time? I'm doing a string of these capture missions and I keep running into this problem where I set a trap but the monster doesn't end up landing on it and then limps off to another zone but then I'm unable to use my other trap that I brought.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Unless it's changed from previous games, no, only one trap at a time and once it's set it's set until it pops on its own. I usually wait for the monster to enter the area where it sleeps before setting the trap.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Honestly what helped me specifically solo on that fight was just running around a bunch not fighting until one was tired or something. Monsters do hurt each other and those two are pretty aggressive so they end up damaging each other quite a bit.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lanechanger

@neocalypso said:

@lanechanger: Honestly what helped me specifically solo on that fight was just running around a bunch not fighting until one was tired or something. Monsters do hurt each other and those two are pretty aggressive so they end up damaging each other quite a bit.

That was amazing advice, I grabbed a lance with auto guard, chugged an immunizer and a mega dash juice and just kind of parked myself in a corner facing outwards and just watched as they enraged each other and break each other's parts. Getting my jabs in when there's an opening, the brute tigrex went down and then the stygion zinogre was easy one on one. Thanks!

Edit: Just did the zinogre+stygion zinogre one as well, pretty fun watching them exhaust each other and breaking each other out of their lightning charge

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Googling the words decoration and rust didn't really help me much so I'm going to ask here!

Does anyone know whether the decoration pops out of rusted equipment when I sell them? I wanna get rid of some of them (and could use the money frankly) but I also want to get some free decorations at the same time. I want to have my cake and eat it!

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NeoCalypso

Nope, those decorations are there to stay. It's why for the most part...that armor is totally useless. You have to build entire sets to activate the skills (since you can't make any of the jewels exclusive to those sets)and in most cases that's not worth it because those skills don't stack. For example Nimbleness gives you both Evasion+1 and Constitution+1 in a single skill. However if you wanted to turn that into evasion +2 you'd have to build up another 15 points of evasion somehow. You can't just get 5 to make it 15.

EkoisyourKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: Ugh. How do I get this guy in dundorma to let me into the castle? I'm HR 3 and he says I'm not high enough. How high must I be? And what's in there???

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.