Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an expanded version of Monster Hunter 4.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Review Thread

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer
    No Caption Provided

For fans and newcomers alike

2200 hours of MH under my belt, looks like this game is going to be at least 1000 more, god help me I don't have a Circle Pad Pro or a New 3DS and the claw doesn't work on the 3DS. Hunting Horns 4 LYFE!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What have these poor monsters done to you?

(Might get a new 3ds for this, or just for the hell of it, cause i lack common sense)

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I bought a Circle Pad Pro XL for just this game, really looking forward to it. I loved MH3U, just hated the underwater stuff, really glad they ditched it in favor of more vertical, free-flowing movement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

That GameSpot review is poorly written, I couldn't get past the few paragraphs. Stuff like this:

For those who don't know, the Monster Hunter games are action-RPGs, where you do battle against dozens of giant monsters, take their body parts, and use them to fashion new weapons and armour with which to do battle against more giant monsters--except it is much more complicated than it sounds, which is why it’s such a brilliant series is so brilliant, and also why so many people struggle with it.

How did that get past an editor...?

In any case, it's interesting to hear this is more accessible/different, and I'm wondering in what ways exactly. The demo basically felt like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did, except it had some more fun things like jumping on enemies. I'm going to get it, but I never could get far enough in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to 'understand' or 'get' the combat system. I'm hoping this one does make it easier to get into, and for whatever reason, I enjoyed the demo a lot more than I did Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And suddenly the world loves Monster Hunter what the hell happened?

How did we get here?

Ps: just to clarify, that is ultimately a good thing, I really like Monster Hunter, but it used to be completely ignored in the west.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

@haz: It sounds like you get to the good stuff sooner, mainly killing giant monsters, but ancillary systems are introduced more gradually so as not to be overwhelming. According to the Polygon review, the busywork that occurs between missions has been mitigated somewhat as well. Also the new bug weapon sounds like it's more beginner friendly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@starvinggamer said:

@haz: It sounds like you get to the good stuff sooner, mainly killing giant monsters, but ancillary systems are introduced more gradually so as not to be overwhelming. According to the Polygon review, the busywork that occurs between missions has been mitigated somewhat as well. Also the new bug weapon sounds like it's more beginner friendly.

That's a good thing then. I'm excited, now though the debate is ... Majora's Mask 3D or Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when I get my New 3DS XL!? Haha.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

So will this game be approachable as a single player game? I would be playing this the majority of the time between classes and at work where I would be offline.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Well, every MH game is divided into Village quests (single player) and Guild Hall quests (multiplayer). One of the reviews I read mentioned that it took them about 60 hours to complete the village quests so there's no shortage of content there. Also, there's nothing preventing you from clearing Guild Hall quests as a solo player. Almost all of my time logged with MH has been solo and I've managed to kill every monster in MHF2 and MHFU.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Glad it's getting this amount of praise. This will be my first real entry into this series so it'll be an interesting experience for sure. Excited about it!

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can't tell if I like Monster Hunter. I tried MH3U and I liked the idea in concept and wanted to get more into it, but I just found myself a) not really sure what to do and b) not really wanting to grind a bunch.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Man, I am SO excited for this game.

I usually don't get this excited for stuff, but between messing around in MH3U and it all coming back to me, and this being my first MH I'll be playing around launch, I can't really help myself.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Looking amazing so far. Really hyped!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@starvinggamer: Thanks for the info, I'm really tempted to pick this up on Friday with Majoras Mask but just trying to see if it would be my type of game. I was unable to obtain a demo code to try it out

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

A review from someone who really knows his Monster Hunter.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like a pretty good game.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@asilentprotagonist: I love ProJared's Monster Hunter videos. I recommend them to anyone trying to get into this series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.