Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Monster Hunter Cry

ianyarborough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By ianyarborough

So, I was watching the "Monster Hunter Tri" quick-look yesterday and was struck by something. The monster that Jeff was hunting was accompanied by two miniature copies of itself. Just clones? Miniature partners in crime? Monster interns? Or something else. . . it's children?  

It's one thing to kill a giant, ravenous, man-eater of a  monster; but it's another thing entirely to murder a parent of two that's minding it's own business and just trying to support it's kids! No wonder Capcom's having so much trouble getting us to play this thing, they're hating on single parents! And the last time I checked, America's chock-full of single parents. I've got one myself.

I imagine the story of the game unfolding  from a different perspective: 

Imagine a  purplish, leathery beast, it's in bed with it's spouse.  *BUZZ-BUZZ!*  It blearily reaches a talon over and clicks the snooze button for the 5th and final time of the morning.    

"I can't  be late for work again, my boss'll kill me" it thinks to itself.  It stalks to the bathroom, brushes its fangs, splashes cold water on it's frightening muzzle and stares at itself in the mirror for a little too long. It sighs and then quietly says to itself 

"Come on, you can do this. Think of the kids"   We then see the creature hurriedly stalking out of the front door of it's modest abode. It growls goodbye to it's mate and hatchlings. It clutches a travel-mug of coffee in one claw and a neck tie in the other, a fedora sits haphazardly on it's armor-plated skull as it rushes to make it to the curb where it's car-pool mates have been waiting for ten minutes already.  

Cut to the hapless brute being carved into pieces by some asshole human who's weapon and garb are made up of pieces of the beast's own best friend and cubicle-mate, Bob! Cut to ribbons! By his own friend's pincers!   

Now there's a single parent monster terrorizing the countryside with two pups in tow because it was unable to keep up on the variable-rate mortgage on it's home since it's mate disappeared and it and the kids were evicted.  

Capcom wants me to take out this poor beast? No thank you, please.  The cycle must be broken. It has to start somewhere and it starts with me. 
    Besides, Capcom already has us Westerners hooded on killing giant critters. It's called Lost Planet.

ianyarborough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ianyarborough

So, I was watching the "Monster Hunter Tri" quick-look yesterday and was struck by something. The monster that Jeff was hunting was accompanied by two miniature copies of itself. Just clones? Miniature partners in crime? Monster interns? Or something else. . . it's children?  

It's one thing to kill a giant, ravenous, man-eater of a  monster; but it's another thing entirely to murder a parent of two that's minding it's own business and just trying to support it's kids! No wonder Capcom's having so much trouble getting us to play this thing, they're hating on single parents! And the last time I checked, America's chock-full of single parents. I've got one myself.

I imagine the story of the game unfolding  from a different perspective: 

Imagine a  purplish, leathery beast, it's in bed with it's spouse.  *BUZZ-BUZZ!*  It blearily reaches a talon over and clicks the snooze button for the 5th and final time of the morning.    

"I can't  be late for work again, my boss'll kill me" it thinks to itself.  It stalks to the bathroom, brushes its fangs, splashes cold water on it's frightening muzzle and stares at itself in the mirror for a little too long. It sighs and then quietly says to itself 

"Come on, you can do this. Think of the kids"   We then see the creature hurriedly stalking out of the front door of it's modest abode. It growls goodbye to it's mate and hatchlings. It clutches a travel-mug of coffee in one claw and a neck tie in the other, a fedora sits haphazardly on it's armor-plated skull as it rushes to make it to the curb where it's car-pool mates have been waiting for ten minutes already.  

Cut to the hapless brute being carved into pieces by some asshole human who's weapon and garb are made up of pieces of the beast's own best friend and cubicle-mate, Bob! Cut to ribbons! By his own friend's pincers!   

Now there's a single parent monster terrorizing the countryside with two pups in tow because it was unable to keep up on the variable-rate mortgage on it's home since it's mate disappeared and it and the kids were evicted.  

Capcom wants me to take out this poor beast? No thank you, please.  The cycle must be broken. It has to start somewhere and it starts with me. 
    Besides, Capcom already has us Westerners hooded on killing giant critters. It's called Lost Planet.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sanryd
    @Falloutsunset said:
    " Cut to the hapless brute being carved into pieces by some asshole human who's weapon and garb are made up of pieces of the beast's own best friend and cubicle-mate, Bob! "

L M A O I'm reeeaaally tired right now, but that was just fucking great. Bravo!
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yes, the "monster has a family" angle could lead us all down an...interesting path.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Why else did you think Japan loved it so much? They can't go out and poach entire whale families like the ol' days.

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

Heh, we should band together and create the Monster Hunter Tri version of PETA.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @ryanwho said:
    " Why else did you think Japan loved it so much? They can't go out and poach entire whale families like the ol' days. "
    So that's why Capcom included underwater combat!

Final boss confirmed: Demonic blue whale!
    arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arkkazeal

I often find myself sad when carving up entire families of harmless beasts just to get a bite to eat. Until you cook it up and yell out TASTY!! Mmm that dinoburger was well worth it.

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mistzero

kudos on the family angle lol

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mmmslash

I lol'd heartily. You're my hero.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier
    @Falloutsunset: 

eh?
     eh?
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skunk
    @Falloutsunset:  i was thinking something similar yesterday but not this in-depth lol. I also feel bad smashing Kelbi to a pulp with the GS.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rallier said:
    " @Falloutsunset: 

eh?
     eh?
    "
    Bob?!
    captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By captainfish

What about a game where you get to kill the lazy monster husband? Capcom should either make that or a spinoff: Monster Carpooler.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sixghost

Can't wait for Monster Hunter Hunter coming 2011.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Hahahah good stuff. And this is why I don't play Mon- wait, no. I like eating animals. Oh well guess I just plain don't like MH games. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria

Haha, how do you play any game that requires you to kill something with this mentality though.

Many soldiers and guards you kill in games might have families. That minion you beat to death in Final Fight might have a kid.

That leathery demon you think is mean might just be doing it so the boss doesn't kill him himself.

ianyarborough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ianyarborough
    @ChristianCastillo: Brilliant.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Genjai
    @Rallier said:
    " @Falloutsunset: 

eh?
     eh?
    "
    O.o

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.