Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Unwanted upward lance trusts

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier

I've been "maining" the lance for the 5hours that i've played of it so far and every now and then my character tends to do upward lance trust instead of straight forward ones and I have no idea why. is it the camera that decides the angle, movement, enemy position? I'm absolutely clueless.

(in case of forum bug this should be in the Monster Hunter Tri boards)

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rallier

Yep forum bug ahoy.

Quite annoying to have your lance trust upwards when you do not want it to. Especially when you are not alone.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not alone? I suggest you stick to the single player for the first 10 hours at least, otherwise you're skipping all the tutorials and useful noob information all the NPCs have to say, and you'll have lots of questions like this. Or worse. I just saw a guy who didn't know how to make potions and mega potions...

Also, look at the manual, it lists all the controls quite extensively... You're probably playing with the remote, and are tilting it by accident:

If you're using the CC the straight and up thrusts are on a different button each. Either way, keep practicing and you'll soon do this shit:
    I do not recommend watching anything after that first monster, it's better you see the other monsters' moves in person for the first time.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

I'm not quite sure Rallier was looking for a serious reply.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Romination

If you experience unwanted upward lance thrusts for more than 4 hours, please call for medical help

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sjupp

You can never thrust too much.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rallier
    @Al3xand3r: Haaa so that is why. I was not at all expecting some of the move to be tilt based.  Which means that i can not play this game lying on my back...  Hmm might get a CC for this game then.

@Sjupp said:
    " You can never thrust too much. "

QFT
    RipAndTear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By RipAndTear
    @Rallier said:
    " I've been "maining" the lance for the 5hours that i've played of it so far and every now and then my character tends to do upward lance trust instead of straight forward ones and I have no idea why. is it the camera that decides the angle, movement, enemy position? I'm absolutely clueless.

(in case of forum bug this should be in the Monster Hunter Tri boards) "
    Your problem is you aren't using the glorious hammer to smash everything that looks at you funny.
    No Caption Provided
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Rallier: If you are using the wiimote, first of all, stop. Its terrible. Go get a classic controller pro =P. 

Since thats probably not an option right now, I will tell you the answer, i figured it out a little while ago after much frusteration: It depends on the position of the wii remote.

Basically if the face of the remote (thats the side with all the buttons) is up, you do a normal thrust, if its to the left, you do a upwards thrust, and if its to the right, then you do a wide swing. 
    I might have the left and right backwards, but thats what it is =P I didn't see any tutorial explaining this in the game.. but I imagine its probably in there somewhere.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By thatfrood

Pretty sure there are pills for this sort of thing. 

edit: damnit! @Romination:    

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Xeiphyer said:
    " @Rallier: If you are using the wiimote, first of all, stop. Its terrible. Go get a classic controller pro =P.  
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rallier
    @Xeiphyer: I've actually got used to it, classic controller is probably better though. Well easier on the hands, having to hit the "2" button to open up the menu is a pain. 

It is actually told in the "hunter's notes" how you use it but a full out tutorial would have helped a LOT. Same goes for all the weapons really, Capcom should just have made some arena mode where the game explains you all the weapons and the different ways to use it just like Red Steel 2 did. Granted having things "spoon fed" is not part of the Monster Hunter "spirit" but it is definitely something that would have made the game easier to get in to.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Rallier: The PSP versions had full on weapon tutorials, they were optional of course. So I was suprised that they didn't have them in tri.

I was also surprised that you don't start with one of each weapon type, they haven't done that since the original PS2 monster hunter =P
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Xeiphyer:  Having to get 15 hours into the game in order to be able to use the LS was basically bullshit on every level =(
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Mmmslash: At least they didn't cut your favourite weapon type from the game completly T_T"
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Xeiphyer: DS or Gunlance?

Edit: Is bow in here? I've never been much of a gunner, I haven't noticed if it was present or not.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Mmmslash: Gunlance, and I believe bows are gone, but they made the bowguns more interesting and customizable. I haven't touched them yet though. Expensive!
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Xeiphyer: From what I can tell, they're way more geared towards support roles now. I haven't seen many monsters that they would excel against offensively yet, but to be fair I'm only ~20 hours in.

How far are you in? What server set are you on? My friends and I could use a semi-regular ringer, we're stuck with 3 people more often than not and have to play with strangerdanger.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Mmmslash:I have only played a few hours, so im still rocking some terrible equips. I am waiting for a friend of mine to get the game. We are both hardcore monster hunter players =P He wanted to wait for the black wii before dropping all that cash.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Xeiphyer: I totally understand. I went out and bought a Wii just for this at the encouragement from some friends, it's definitely the way to enjoy the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.