Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

Regular PS4 frame rate issues?

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Strangestories

I have both a pro and a regular PS4 and while the framerate on the pro is fine, the framerate on the regular is absolutely horrible. Is anyone else seeing this? I saw other people reporting it in the beta but then a bunch of people just accused them of trolling so I'm not quite sure what's going on.
    The framerate dips below 20 in the main town and seemed to hover in the low 20s during a hunt in the rain. In fact, I really doubt the framerate ever hit its goal of 30 the entire time I was playing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This was my experience with AC Origins on a base PS4 recently except replace rain with fire so it’s not surprising to hear. We apparently are entering the brave new world of “oh hey this runs like dog shit if you don’t have a pro” of console gaming. I think we all knew it would eventually happen despite Sony being so adamant about performance parity, but it’s not like they’re especially hard on QA these days.

Thanks for the heads up though cause I was thinking of maybe getting it but I’ll just wait for the PC version.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MattGiersoni

I have PS4 slim and I haven't noticed it being horrible, certainly not dropping below 20. It does dip slightly below 30 for me, but it often gets above it as well since the performance is unlocked. It does dip a bit below 30 but it's definitely playable for me and I haven't notice anything as bad as below 20. Of course maybe it's just me and my higher tolerance for performance troubles but I haven't noticed anything super horrible, thought yeah it's not perfect. Wait for a Digital Foundry analysis of the full game (they only did a short beta one)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

It seems mostly fine for me. Dips now and then, but not bad enough to hinder my enjoyment. Definitely not sub-20 bad.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

My experience is in line with the rest of thread: 20fps is not normal for PS4. While it's definitely not hitting a consistent 30, worst case scenario for me has been ~25fps for short moments with multiple large monsters onscreen.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the beta i never dipped, is it mostly during multiplayer?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine was pretty bad at first, but after I turned off HDR it has looked smoother. I could see it hitching every few seconds before. I'll have to see if I can notice it again, but it either got better or my eyes got used to it by the time I went on a hunt.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so weird...this is the only game that I experience framerate like this with. Destiny 2 runs perfectly fine, warframe can be a bit framey but it's about the same as the pro. I'll check again now since I've gotten some sleep, but it was bordering on unplayable last night.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nebrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, same here Strange. I'm gettin 15-25, it's pathetic. Really don't even want to play until it's addressed, just knowin it's running smooth for others really ticks me off. Was playin with a friend who was on twitch, his stream was smooth as glass, while mine was choppy as f.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I found this thread because I was actually just searching online for whether the framerate is capped at 30 or not, because I've actually noticed instances where it feels like it's hitting noticeably higher than 30 for me on a launch PS4. Definitely not noticing any slowdown to speak of. Makes my PS4 sound like a damn jet engine, though.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattGiersoni

@dourin Framerate is uncapped so it can go both below 30 and way above 30. I'm beginning to think this might be the reason for some users reporting they have crazy slowdowns below 20 while others don't. Huge drops from say 40-50 down to 25-30 in mere seconds certainly can mess with perception. But then again, maybe there is a bug and some users actually do experience such slowdowns below 20.
    Digital foundry is working on an analysis of the full game, so we'll have detailed info in a few days.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I've a launch PS4 and the only issue I notice is that monsters off in the background have fewer frames on them until you get closer. Flying ones for example will sort of just go between three frames with their wings in different positions if they're far away but if I get up close to them it's much smoother.

No issues outside of that.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kid_gloves

@mattgiersoni: Yes this is what I was thinking was happening with people as well. The game rarely seems to go below 25 for me and mostly hovers around 30 during gameplay. But since it is uncapped you will see judder when panning the camera and to some that could create the illusion of running at a much lower frame rate. I don't really notice it much except for when you do arena battles or are cornered in an area and staring at a wall suddenly the frame rate seems to jump into the 50s which is super weird to experience.

I kinda wish they would allow for a 30fps cap just for consistency (and so my ps4 doesn't sound like a jet engine always) but I imagine that the pro can hit 40+ fps more frequently and it might have something to do with the multiplayer. Also MH games have always been uncapped as far as I can remember (first one I played was Freedom Unite on psp), it has always been a weird choice considering how they almost never get close to hitting 60fps.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_gloves: I’ve concluded that it’s a combination of the tv I’m playing on and the uncapped frame rate for the most part. Panning the camera does make the frame rate drop rapidly to the point where it looks like it’s lower than it actually is. However, areas like the main hub when you’re near the research team do actually make my frame rate hit 15-20. Also, weather effects such as rain do the same which makes fighting in those situation unpleasant.

But yes, you are correct that it’s mostly the uncapped frame rate that is causing it.

Salvation73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having huge issues with the frame rate on a PS4 slim. Playing with two others that are melee and I'm ranged... it's like watching a slide show at times when one or two other monsters show up with background animals wandering in. It has to be dipping into the mid to low 20's at times. I'm used to playing PC games on a 144htz monitor where I try to keep frame rates at 100+ in most games so playing at or below 30fps is insane. The PC release can't come soon enough because this is sucking the fun out of the game for me.

estragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really wanted to jump back into MonHun, but after this thread i think I'll just wait for the PC version. And hope it's not a bad port.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.