Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

Single player thoughts on Monster Hunter World

Avatar image for propagandapanda
    Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a friend who we would like to play with us but he does not have good internet where he lives. So it would be him coming over when he can to do hunts with us. Is there any idea how the single player will be for him when he is hunting along between group hunts?

Thank you for the help!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@propagandapanda: All previous Monster Hunter games have been beatable solo, but World seems to be structured in a way that makes that even better than before. All quests can be done solo or in a squad, and the monsters are balanced whether you are solo or in a group (in 2, 3 and 4 player hunts monsters have one health/defense value, and in solo they have another).

What this means is in World literally all of the quests and content will be available to your friend while he is playing. They have removed the separation of "Guild" and "Village" quests from the older game, where Village quests could only be done solo and Guild quests were always balanced for multiple players even if you were alone (which meant doing them solo meant hours of grinding). This should make transitioning between group and solo play a lot easier!

The only requirement with the new Story quests is that you have to play solo until you have seen the main cutscene for the mission. After that friends can join, so when you meet up you can both pick up from where you currently got up to solo.

Sorry if that all sounded a bit vague, but I hope it helps :)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zeik

Just so we're clear, there's no split screen or anything, so I assume he'll be bringing his PS4/PC and you have a spare TV/monitor.

Some people like to say the series is only good multiplayer, but I strongly disagree. Outside of high rank hunts I kinda prefer solo honestly. Most low rank fights are just way too easy in a group. It's like the difference between fighting a Dark Souls boss solo or with player phantoms. You learn a lot more and it's often a lot more satisfying to overcome the monsters all alone.

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik correct well he will be bring his PS4 I have the set up for him.

@bollard thank you for the help.

I just want to make sure there is something to do between our major group gatherings with the game so he does not feel like its a waste. He lives out in the middle of nowhere with no chance of good internet so he is hesitant on getting games with a multiplayer aspect to them.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@propagandapanda: He'll have more than enough to keep himself busy while playing solo!

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@bollard: Does the game also scale based on player count (i.e. do monsters scale from 2 to 4 player)? I'm mostly interested in playing this with one buddy of mine, but our impression from the demo was that the monsters were much easier in a group of 4.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about World, but in previous games Guild Hall (multiplayer) quest monsters have inflated HP, but it's not dynamically scaled based on the number of players.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fenster said:

@bollard: Does the game also scale based on player count (i.e. do monsters scale from 2 to 4 player)? I'm mostly interested in playing this with one buddy of mine, but our impression from the demo was that the monsters were much easier in a group of 4.

Unfortunately not, the monsters are only balanced two ways (solo, or 2-4 player). One thing I would stress though is that in the full game this would be much less of an issue than it was in the beta. In the beta you only have a 20 minute time limit, whereas in the full game you (almost) always have 50 minutes to take down a target, so you will be much less likely to run out of time. The other thing that I should mention is in the old games there were "Guild Quests" that were only balanced for 2-4 players (they had no solo variant at all). Despite this, I was able to get into High Rank Guild Quests playing entirely solo by grinding for better gear for longer than I would need to if I had been playing with friends. So everything in the game will be doable as a 2 man group, you just might have to have slightly better gear than a 4 man squad to do it.

Hope that helps.

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@bollard said:

Unfortunately not, the monsters are only balanced two ways (solo, or 2-4 player). One thing I would stress though is that in the full game this would be much less of an issue than it was in the beta. In the beta you only have a 20 minute time limit, whereas in the full game you (almost) always have 50 minutes to take down a target, so you will be much less likely to run out of time. The other thing that I should mention is in the old games there were "Guild Quests" that were only balanced for 2-4 players (they had no solo variant at all). Despite this, I was able to get into High Rank Guild Quests playing entirely solo by grinding for better gear for longer than I would need to if I had been playing with friends. So everything in the game will be doable as a 2 man group, you just might have to have slightly better gear than a 4 man squad to do it.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful, thank you!

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@propagandapanda: I don't know if I can add anything else that would be helpful but you can complete the storyline solo with a good amount of research and knowhow. World is unique because of how they are bringing these large monster hunts into a more modern atmosphere. Seeing some of the quality of life improvements, I would say that single player in MHW will cater to those players that want to play solo. I am sure if he wanted to get into the later game hunts or wanted to specialize in an armor, that is where multiplayer comes in. I played way more local multiplayer with the 3DS than I thought I would, playing locally with brothers and friends will help with materials. In his multiplayer "free time," I would gather mats and get ready for big hunts so that when he comes over, you don't waste time making Mega Potions.

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Propagandapanda

@rempresent thanks for the post. We got him to get it so we have a crew together and will be joining the hunt!

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By poobumbutt

This was the exact question I was looking for myself. Happy to hear single player balancing is even better than I thought it was.

...Goddamn, am I about to get into a MonHun game? Must be only 30 degrees Celsius in Hell right now...

Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a update. He got it at midnight and has been lovin it. Let the Hunts begin!

scotty_gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bollard: Does anyone know if internet connection is required for single player story mode. My girlfriend might like this game but she does not have internet. She has PS4.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.