A lot of people are getting into Monster Hunter for the first time. A lot of them are questioning what they should and shouldn't be doing. A lot of them are experiencing the game without realizing everything you can do - because a lot of it the game doesn't really tell you all that often.
If you've any tips or tricks for new comers then put them in here. I'll get the ball rolling
- Use your armour spheres. They drop like candy, are infinitely available and the ones you're getting now are 100% useless for higher quality armour. Don't be afraid of using them.
- Having said that - you can only upgrade armour a set number of times. So upgrade whatever you have to it's max in one go instead of incrementally
- Don't just spam combos and hope for the best. Monsters are bigger than you. They'll knock you out of your combo and on your ass and you'll take a tonne of damage. Look for opportunities, get a hit or two in and then back off.
- Even after you eat a meal you can often a well done steak to increase your stamina even more. This is useful. Do this.
- You can enter into the tent at campsites to change your gear or get things out of your storage box.
- Open your monster guide and look at the monsters weakness and strengths. Usually if a monster is strong against an element it'll use attacks based on that element and equipping armour to defend against it will help. Likewise, using a weapon that is strong against an enemy will help make the fights quicker.
- You can trap monsters with shock traps and tranq bombs/shots or in the pitfall trap if you knock it out.
- Get used to using the shortcut menu. Even if you just start off using one or two shortcuts, get used to it. It's much quicker than trying to scroll through 30 items to get to your whetstone.
- Always use your whetstone whenever you get a chance if your weapon isn't sharp or will lose sharpness in the next fight.
- Don't be afraid to send out an SOS flair if you get into trouble and need some help.
- If you're on a mission that requires you to trap a monster, the box at the camp will contain the items you need.
- If you see a teammate is stunned, you can hit them with your weapon to break them out of it.