Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

The supernatural kombatants of Mortal Kombat collide with the superheroes of the DC Universe in this crossover fighting game by Midway.

How long will this game last?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

I'm interested in buying this game.  I've played some fighting games but none have ever kept me playing for long after I beat them.  Now I've never played Mortal Kombat, it doesn't look much different from other fighting games though.  I'm mostly interested in the multiplayer.  Is it solid, lag-free, and fun?  Is it something people will be playing for years, or does it go stale?  Thanks for any responses. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, right now there's no trouble finding people to play with, and the lag is non-existent if your connection to the other guy is fine-- this is how the internet works. If you're still cautious, try a rent first. But I guess if you want to buy it, you spent an extra ten bucks... whatever. It's a lot of fun to play. Even if the DC characters seem cheap and unbalanced :o)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

MK isn't really like other games.  It's less about being amazing at fighting games and more about just beating the shit out of each other.  It's always fun, whether you win or lose.

As for this latest installment, it really does take me back to the old days when I was pumping $20 allowance a week into the arcade machines on MKII and MK3 (and Killer Instinct, coincidentally).  The thing is that it's not really a fun game if you are playing solo, which is something that franchises like Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter have tried to change.  However, with online play in most fighting games now, your only real limitation is an internet connection.  The few matches that I've played on Live were pretty solid with little lag, and the structure of the lobbies is pretty cool.  The Chat Room matches are pretty cool, as you can just sit and chill in a lobby and shoot the shit with a bunch of MK players, and then someone can challenge you to a match.  It's almost like playing Poker on Yahoo! Games.  lol

I can easily see this being an MK game that people hold onto for a good amount of time.  Sure, with SSF2THDR out, MK vs DCU has some competition.  However, it really does help revive the franchise rather than drag it down further.  There's more of a focus on the combat in the game and making it interesting and fun rather than trying to play up the spectacle of what MK is all about (and obviously with DC characters, you can't really get too gory or anything).  However, the game feels pretty brutal still, even if the fatalities and brutalities are on the weak side.  Whatever, though.  The fighting mechanics are the core of this game, and I think that they really stepped it up to where the game needs to be in order to move forward.  MK was a series that never worked well in 3D, and Boon was always trying to make it a franchise to compete against Soul Calibur and Tekken and Virtua Fighter.  Unfortunately, that 3D focus made the fun factor go bye-bye.  Now that we're back on a mostly 2D plane, man...it just feels so tight.  The ridiculous combo systems are gone and we're back to special moves and just beating the hell out of each other.

I would say that you need to give it a rent if you aren't a loyal MK fan or a fighting game fanatic in general, but the overall package is something that I've personally found to be very gratifying.  Unfortunately, I'm just stuck on so many other games right now that I don't have the time to dump into it like I would've back in the day.

Damn that Left 4 Dead...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187
    License_To_Bill said:
    "Well, right now there's no trouble finding people to play with, and the lag is non-existent if your connection to the other guy is fine-- this is how the internet works. If you're still cautious, try a rent first. But I guess if you want to buy it, you spent an extra ten bucks... whatever. It's a lot of fun to play. Even if the DC characters seem cheap and unbalanced :o)"
    There are times when I see the lack of balance on the DC side, but a lot of that is because we're having to learn how to handle a different set of moves for most of the guys.  There are some familiar ones in there, but we're still learning.  For instance, if you play as Flash, an almost perfect counterbalance is Sub-Zero...as his Ice Counter basically devastates The Flash...since The Flash is all about getting in for heavily melee-focused attacks.  He HAS to hit his opponent without projectiles.  However, that doesn't mean you CAN'T beat Sub-Zero.  It just means that you will have a tough fight on your hand.
    The same goes for Green Lantern.  He's a very distanced character to use, but a perfect counter is Raiden.  His Superman move gets you in real close, making half of GL's move set almost completely ineffective.  However, GL has a good handful of moves that can open the distance back up.

So it's all about playing around and experimenting, and the few times that I've done Chat Room matches, it was mostly doods saying "hey, what characters are you good with...because I want to find a good counterbalance for it".  I've found a LOT of great fighters in the CR matches, and they are usually pretty good sports that want both you and him to improve their game.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.  From what I'm hearing, it sounds decent enough.  I like the sound of the chat room matches in multiplayer, I like that laid-back simple feel to my games, I don't like to be forced through matchmaking all the time.  Hmm, well I will have to rent it and find out if it's really good or not.  If it keeps me interested after a good chunk of playing, I will buy it.  I don't mind putting down $60 at all for some good fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope you like it :o)

Oh, Lex Luthor has a combo that is very easy to do, and it does, like, 38%. My opinion is unchanged!

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ocdog45

depends on your interest level in the game. this game has lots of replay value. i mean lots. if you paid $60, you would get your moneys worth if you take advantage of waht it gives. having said that, most people are not fighting game fans. i my self only really like street fighter, and i rented this. but it was a good rent.

splitscreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By splitscreen

for it will surelt last a long time in may collection of games.. i this will be a classic game for all time, and surely there will be more to come

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SSbabel

It will last aslong as people are playing it, but those MK fans out there are always going to be playing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.