Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

Any tips on getting into MK?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i almost always say im going to get into a fighting game when these things come out, but i always end up getting distracted or just plain stuck on learning combos and crap. Hell when SF4 came out i convinced myself to buy a stick and i even have a stick mod i picked up when MK9 came around but for some reason i never gave it much of a chance on consoles. Now that this new one is out and the fact that i already picked up MK9 on steam for like 5 bucks last year im thinking of giving it another go to get some use out of the expensive ass stick that is basically brand new in my closet. Thanks for any help or advice, heres a picture of my stick i have from when i bought it, im guessing this is still the layout for MK sticks and would work fine on the PC version, right?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would suggest to play the story, aside from being really fun one you also get to test out many characters. Also just go practice and watch some videos online so you can learn how to play with a specific character.

Seriously just watching some vids or going to the combo list and trying them out, over and over and over will pay off. You especially have to get use to the run mechanic which can be troublesome but like I said just keep practicing and it will come out naturally.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I recommend trying to focus on one character and learn their moveset. It can help you understand why you use certain moves and what strengths or weaknesses a character can have. This informs everything you do. For example, do you like teleporting characters? Do you like to play a character with a projectile? Combos come after but that's the important basic thing to get. I would focus on this kind of strategy before stringing together a combo because it's actually more important to get first.

Some characters are pretty versatile in MK. I really like Jax because he has a variety of moves for different situations so I recommend him. But there are many choices.

To be clear, are you playing 9 or X?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By j_unit2008

@sanity: The thing that has always had me coming back to MK was having a couple buddies to play with locally. It really helps to have that sense of competition to drive you to learn new stuff.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanity

@l1ghtn1n: Thanks, tons of great info there, going to dive in a bit after work tonight.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@sanity said:

@artisanbreads: Have 9 but getting X i think.

Cool. I love 9 (even playing it rather recently) but I do think X is friendlier and has it's own quirks too.

The variation system is X is really cool and I think encourages you to also think more about what the strengths and weaknesses of a given character are even though they are adding more depth to learn. I really like the system. It's helped me with some fighting game concepts just seeing it and learning moves for different characters. It's really cool to be able to play a Jax with more projectile attacks vs some opponents for example while for others I want the better grab and up close moves.

The combos in X are also friendlier and easier to get off. I really commend that game to you if you're willing to pay the price. I am really enjoying it and I'm not the biggest fighting game guy. But I loved MK 9 and this game is even better for the most part (I do like 9's story more). It is no doubt an improvement gameplay wise for me and that's the most important thing.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DonMFJohnson

As a total novice in fighting games MKX seems cool. Started the story mode just mashing buttons and finished it being able to block and do simple combos. Also I'm playing with DS4, dpad on xbox 360 controller is NOT optimal. Seems that after 30 years of vidja games there's still new things to learn :).

MK9 looks rough graphically on PC after playing MKX, assets are way better in the new one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.