Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

How bad is MKX's playerbase?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

From my blog:

Little Known Fact: There's more than 2 characters.
    Little Known Fact: There's more than 2 characters.

Note: This isn’t intended to be inflammatory, it’s purely a matter of science and curiosity. I’m ignoring the launch of Street Fighter 2 for obvious reasons.

As a remarkably slightly above average fighting game player I somehow was in the top 40 of Injustice about a month after launch; and my win rate was about 3.5 wins to 1 loss; or 78%, as was almost everyone else on the list. My secret? Well Injustice’s playerbase wasn’t too hot either; also I played a supposedly low tier character and bodied everyone; and even had backup characters for bad matchups. But in MKX the top 100 is almost exclusively around 95-98%, now you say 78-98’s not that big of a deal man; it’s only 20%! Not so sir, as anyone that plays Freecell knows, if you played 500 games at 78% you would lose 110 matches, if you played 500 games at 98% you would lose only 10; 11 times as many losses. So basically MKX’s playerbase is eleven times worse than Injustice’s; okay 98% probably not fair; let’s stick with 95%, you get 25 losses for those 500 games and that’s still 4.4 times as many losses.

I didn’t play Street Fighter IV at launch so I’m not sure how bad it was there, probably closer to Injustice’s tick. But let’s have some fun and compare with other games. If you look at Guilty Gear Xrd’s top 100 the average win rate is about 55-60% (mine is personally about 40%, which I’m damn proud of), sure there’s a handful of people that farm lower ranked players but for the most part almost everyone that plays that game is super legit; a lot of this has to do with the tiny, though quite devoted, playerbase.

I also played KoF XIII to around a 50% tick, matching up with 60-65% players or thereabouts at the top; though that wasn’t that close to launch. Tekken 6 is yet another game I played recently, inspired by my success on the free to play circuit, and boy did I get completely massacred by those guys. A pretty old game so naturally the only people left playing were pathologically insane monstrosities who took my soul out and ate it. I won 1 game after about 50 matches, good enough for the platinum trophy.

Basically MKX is a fucking huge game and all those people that played MK2 like five centuries ago (myself included) are playing it for whatever strange reason and pretty much all they know how to do is uppercut and hold that block button. Additionally EVERYONE in the FGC is playing this game, and all of them are pretty damn K-Bradlike. So the sheer size of the game has compounded with nostalgia, E-Sports, Twitch, and the power of friendship to create a completely insane, ridiculous top 100 filled with assorted random familiar players from a whole bunch of different games, and all of them have 80-140+ winning streaks going on right now. Justin Wong for instance has a sparkling 301-8 record on PS4, and pretty much 80-85% of his matches just look like combo videos where the other player might as well not even be there, not to disparage the JWong but he's merely a pretty good player at this juncture.

No Caption Provided

I’m happy that MKX is so big, but the side effects are pretty amusing and I hope you take this in good humor.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrong forum somehow, also "average" didn't fit in the title so it seems a bit more crude.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@fredchuckdave: at first I assumed from the title that you were implying that MKX requires the lowest amount of skill to be good at. Now i'm not so sure. Hm....

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 BisonHero  Online

I mean, MK has more mass appeal than most of the other fighting games that come out these days. The only people crazy enough to buy a new Tekken game or KoF game actually know how to play fighting games. Plenty of people buy MK who are not at all into the FGC and high level fighting game play.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, MK has more mass appeal than most of the other fighting games that come out these days. The only people crazy enough to buy a new Tekken game or KoF game actually know how to play fighting games. Plenty of people buy MK who are not at all into the FGC and high level fighting game play.

This.

Many of my friends are not interested in playing any other fighting games with me, including street fighter. But, they will play some MK. And, I've been shocked at the amount of friends of mine who have actually picked the game up and they aren't usually even into fighting games that much.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@manachild: Yeah that's not the point, if anything MKX is amongst the more difficult western Fighting Games to play; it's the playerbase that I'm talking about.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 BisonHero  Online

@manachild: Yeah that's not the point, if anything MKX is amongst the more difficult western Fighting Games to play; it's the playerbase that I'm talking about.

I think a more accurate statement would be "MKX is the only western fighting game to play", unless you want to talk about the almost nonexistent Skullgirls community, or the gradually waning communities for past NetherRealm games.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Yeah i figured as much after reading your post in its entirety. I was mostly just commenting on your 2nd post where you were talking about the title limitations.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Killer Instinct? MK9/Injustice have had a reasonably devoted playerbase, I imagine they're still larger than the Anime Fighter community (other than possibly Persona 4 Arena).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

@fredchuckdave: MK9's playerbase (and probably a good chunk of Injustice's) have likely moved on to MKX by now. All of those games are too similar in terms of mechanics to maintain a large percentage of their playerbase when the new shinier version is out. I doubt either of those games have a currently active playerbase larger than the anime fighter community as a whole.

I never got a good feel for how popular the new Killer Instinct actually was, but it feels like most of the hype died out after a few months. I'm sure there's still people playing, but I doubt it's much different than most other non-Street Fighters of the world.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zeik: I'm sure MK9/Injustice still have more players than the non Xrd games functionally. Xrd has around 120k people that own it, the number online at any moment is around 500-1000; it wouldn't surprise me if either of the much older games had more players; though admittedly much less devoted players.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Maybe, but MK9's online was also garbage, so I'd be surprised if a lot of people are still putting up with that crap. Locally might be a different story, especially since MKX isn't on last-gen consoles yet.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By recroulette

MKX seems like a fighting game that surpasses the "Netherrealm game" label.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I think you pretty much summed it up in your penultimate paragraph: there's just a ton of people playing this game, and a lot of them aren't especially experience fighting game players. Perhaps it's at the point where there's so many newer players that they're at least getting to play one another and not being instantly scared away by only running into experienced opponents who crush them.

I think a more accurate statement would be "MKX is the only western fighting game to play", unless you want to talk about the almost nonexistent Skullgirls community, or the gradually waning communities for past NetherRealm games.

Y'know, Skullgirls does okay. It's certainly not huge, but it still appears regularly in tournaments and the people who are into it love it a bunch. It's a great game! Still one of the best tutorials in any fighting game too.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

I jumped back into fighting games with MK9 and have only played Injustice and MKX since then. It appears that I'm actually getting worse at fighting games as I play them more. I did pretty well with Sub-Zero and Kratos in MK9, my Sinestro was capable of pulling of a win or two every once in awhile in Injustice. I barely have any wins using Raiden in MKX. I keep getting matched up with people who are 70-8 or better. I can't even get any better playing against opponents like that.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@spoonman671: Try doing some player matches, also try out different characters if you're not having success with the one you're using, though I do think Raiden is decent enough. Sometimes you just get locked into a bad rhythm with whichever character and using a new one can help a lot in that regard.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By The_Nubster

@fredchuckdave: This is good advice. Understanding how other characters move and react differently is really helpful in improving your main game. Similarly, seeing similarities between characters who seem entirely different on the surface can help expand your mind on what is and isn't possible with certain characters.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tekken is the definition of a series that will hammer newbies into the ground mercilessly. People have been playing that series for well over a decade and the (extremely convoluted) mechanics haven't changed significantly in all of that time so they tend to be very good at the game.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How bad is MKX's playerbase?

To the bone, obviously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
    deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you watched the NLBC this week it was actually painful. The number of people in the chat just there for MKX and had no idea how high level play works was annoying. They kept getting pissy that nobody was doing fatalities or XRay moves and it really got on people's nerves.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluttercry: Spooky making mad money off those viewers though. But yeah I think it's more of a Smash thing where most of the audience is entirely different; which is very strange and could be quite interesting going forward.

@crysack: I'm okay at Tekken, was good a very long time ago; I imagine if I had played TTT2 I would have had a much easier go of things, the point is the older a game is the more ridiculous the players still playing it are. Xrd and KoF are less friendly in general; especially KoF.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's definitely an influx of players that aren't familiar with a lot of things. I would count myself among them as I wouldn't call myself even an average player in SF, but I also decided to jump onto the MKX bandwagon for whatever reason so a lot of the metagame is totally lost on me right now. I should say that I hadn't played MK at all since the SNES days.

Speaking of Justin Wong, I'd love it if he gets to pull out COD Jax in that tournament tomorrow.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Sackmanjones

I think the game is still pretty new so it may even out but for now I think just the legacy of Mk brings people in who normally never wanna touch a fighting game. I would actually put myself in that category although after mk9 I have dabbled in them more. I played KI for a bit as well as injustice and now I think I can call myself a decent player. I actually did in fact beat like the number 12 person on the ps4 leaderboards a few days ago, despite having maybe 40 games under my belt compared to his 450 or so.

But yeah, there are a lot more people who don't play fighting games playing MKX which is really cool. I really like how meaty these games are compared to other games in the genre and even if people can't get a hang of the online there is still plenty to do.

It is a shame though that so far matchmaking seems to have zero logic in who you fight. As of this typing my record for ranked and player combined is 79/61. I've played people with 0/23 records and I've played a lot more people with records around 237/6. When this happens every once in awhile I get it but it happens constantly. at least when I play players way lower than me I can work on characters I'm still mastering (which I tend to lose with first) but the super high level people I have no choice but to try and stand my own (and sometimes I do). Like I said above, hopefully in a few weeks this stuff will even out and everyone will kind of play in their own little league where that win odds are more closer to 40-60% rather than 2%-98%

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@y2ken said:

I think you pretty much summed it up in your penultimate paragraph: there's just a ton of people playing this game, and a lot of them aren't especially experience fighting game players. Perhaps it's at the point where there's so many newer players that they're at least getting to play one another and not being instantly scared away by only running into experienced opponents who crush them.

It's odd that you say this, because after trying for a few matches, I'm ONLY getting matched up with people I have a single digit percent chance of beating...sometimes that number is 0%...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Logistically there are probably around 1-2 million people around the lower skill levels and then 20k people that are halfway decent fighting game players, then 500ish online legends (some of whom who are tournament players, so not entirely a disparaging comment) that play nothing but ranked; so theoretically even if it was random the vast majority would be matched up in their bracket; of course constantly queueing probably negates this somewhat and I dunno I've won like 30 of my last 31 player matches (the one I lost I quit due to unplayable lag) and I just basically never get matched up with someone around the same bracket as me; closest was like a 20-30 player today. So while I'm maybe only a little bit better than mediocre at MK so far (at least online, I'm probably okay in a lagless environment) it just seriously bloats win rates out of control to be matched with so many <15% win rate players.

Apparently this wasn't unplayable enough for me to quit:

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.