Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

MKX Jason good or bad?

Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
    deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now that Jason is out I was wondering how people are liking him. I really enjoy playing as him, and I really like his slasher variation, and I think Netherrealm really nailed the character of Jason.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think the early consensus is that he's really great in a variety of ways. No one knows his ceiling yet, but one day out of the gate and players are already showing off scary uses for a lot of his more unique setups.

Personally, I'm attracted to his hard-hitting high/low mixups. The guy feels like an Injustice character, almost, in a game where not a lot of characters have access to multiple low and overhead strings. He has a great juggle game and can top 35%+ in the midscreen without much trouble at all. Can't wait to see Jason strategies evolve.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By theacidskull

He's fantastic. I wasn't actually expecting him to be this good! Not only are his variations and moves awesome, but the presentation itself is amazing. They've really embraced the 80s slasher aesthetic. The music, the fatalities, the taunts, etc all scream and portray the tone and atmosphere of a horror movie, and I love it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

He has braindead easy damage. Here is a 50% combo that pretty much anyone can do just repeat the same string 3 times and end with an X-ray.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He's fantastic. I wasn't actually expecting him to be this good! Not only are his variations and moves awesome, but the presentation itself is amazing. They've really embraced the 80s slasher aesthetic. The music, the fatalities, the taunts, etc all scream and portray the tone and atmosphere of a horror movie, and I love it.

Netherrealm definitely incorporated Jason more smoothly into Mortal Kombat X than they did with Freddy in 9. He just makes more sense here, but there's more around the edges--like the incredulity of every character toward him in the pre-fight intros--that add a lot to his inclusion.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By overnow

I think his Slasher variation is very cool but the other two are kind of weird. Like they have the same basic kombos, and an absolutely massive list of special moves that they both share, but they don't really feel like they are different enough you know.

As far as wholly unique moves go one has the 2 buffs, (which are cool but I've never found buff characters terribly useful, something about finding that time to safely buff kind of bugs me) and the revive thing, which is kind of cool since it's so unique.

Then the other variation has that weird red screen thing, it could be cool but I have yet to be on the receiving end so I don't know how the reversed controls work, then the damage up as health goes down thing is of course quite useful, but I don't quite get the teleport, I think it looks fantastic, and fits the character nicely but damn does it seem slow, I guess I could see it being used to get close to someone trying to zone you but I'm not quite sure how useful it will be.

But yeah, I definitely think the kombat pack was worth it so far, especially at the reduced price you get for getting it up front. I wonder if they'll wind up tinkering with Jason a bunch though cause there is some massively easy high 20s damage and that 3 overhead combos into the xray thing for 50% seems like that damage is way too easy, but then again I guess the general idea of pushing 2 triggers to get over 30% is pretty easy too so we'll see.

DLC in fighting games is always so weird though, if the characters are too good it's a problem, because paying money for characters that are better than the main cast is a huge issue, however paying for characters that just suck is bad for the paying people. It's a serious conundrum.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Undeadpool

I'd be having a better time if the matchmaking were fixed...nah, I can't even complain about that, the character is AWESOME and actually REAL easy to use.

My only real complaint is that people's "intro" taunts against him are very generic. Make me think they'll be using the same ones against Predator/all other "guest" characters.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really like him. I was concerned when I heard some comparisons to Kotal Khan, but Jason is much less clunky feeling than Kotal. It kind of pains me as a Freddy fan to see the "other guy" get the good treatment, but I can't deny that they nailed it.

The intros are pretty disappointing, however. The only one I've seen that wasn't just a generic line that could apply to anybody was Shinnok saying Jason's name. For all the little touches and details they made sure to add, it seems crazy that the intros are so half-assed.

An Uber Jason or Baghead Jason skin would make up for it, though... *winks pointedly in NRS' direction*

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Slasher variation has way too easy combos, does so much damage and is way too easy to execute. In general I think he is a fun and interestingly designed character. Been mostly playing Relentless and have been having a lot of fun with him, though I hate the MK style command grabs of down back forwards.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

He's great. Makes me excited for what they do with Tanya and Tremor. Those are characters that mean nothing to me, I want them to become characters worth caring about. Tanya actually seemed pretty cool in the story and Tremor would make the only other Black Dragon in the game.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like what I've played so far. He seems like he has limited uses and mobility but man does he hit hard.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

From watching streams (can't play him yet since I'm a dumb ass and bought the "fantastic" PC version) he looks like a super simple and straight forward character when in Slasher variation.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By theacidskull

@shagge said:

I really, really like him. I was concerned when I heard some comparisons to Kotal Khan, but Jason is much less clunky feeling than Kotal. It kind of pains me as a Freddy fan to see the "other guy" get the good treatment, but I can't deny that they nailed it.

The intros are pretty disappointing, however. The only one I've seen that wasn't just a generic line that could apply to anybody was Shinnok saying Jason's name. For all the little touches and details they made sure to add, it seems crazy that the intros are so half-assed.

An Uber Jason or Baghead Jason skin would make up for it, though... *winks pointedly in NRS' direction*

I know right? Everything is made so perfectly I was surprised that they barely paid attention to the intros.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think Jason is more or less the definition of mid-tier; seems like a cool enough character designwise/stupid gimmick wise though. Lots of real dumb stuff, particularly the X-Ray Brutality and its conditions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.