Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

Mortal Kombat X Trailer Music

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I hope the whole soundtrack is rap. That trailer was made better with that music and I don't even like Wiz Khalifa that much.

SneakyJB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope the whole soundtrack is rap. That trailer was made better with that music and I don't even like Wiz Khalifa that much.

Also not a huge Wiz Khalifa fan apart from that Walking on a Dream remix but I kinda dug the track in the trailer. I'm not sure if I want ALL rap but I'd like to see some songs incorporated into the soundtrack similar to the electronic/dubstep kind of stuff in the Mortal Kombat 9 soundtrack.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@ulquiokani: If they can do what Def Jam did with their soundtrack I think that would be pretty awesome.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope they get Wiz Khalifa to do some new raps about how rad Scorpion is or something. I liked the song choice though it's not MK without some club music.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

I'm not really crazy about Wiz Khalifa but when I click on a trailer to a Mortal Kombat game and see six comments in a row bashing it for having "rap crap" I'm ready to start waving his banner.

Aside from my belief that dismissing entire genres of music based on your preconceived notions is close-minded and idiotic, applying that to a trailer for a game you otherwise are looking forward to just strikes me as odd. There are tons of game trailers released on this website every week, but it isn't until the rap music one hits that people get their torches ready.

Saying they could have picked a better track or that you don't think the genre of music fits (you're wrong, but whatever) is one thing, but just flat out dismissing it because of the genre?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well there wasn't any gameplay in the trailer, so I'm not surprised everyone was talking about the music. It was a cinematic. They announce the product and we get to see a cool little movie which builds some hype for said product. Personally I liked the video. And the music. They fit well together.

Honestly, you are caring a bit much. Don't know how long you've been here, but people on the internet focusing on a non-issue with laser precision is pretty normal. Just ignore them, enjoy the video, and move on.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dont worry it isnt just because it is rap , it does not fit the MK universe just as Marilyn Manson never fitted in the Dragon Age trailers. I do wonder if that is how next gen MK will look like or not (probably not but it looked kind of nice) and play.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@relkin: I have been on this site since the beiginning and yeah I usually ignore them, but its the fact that its not a few people its a lot which makes me want to tell everyone.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By LongMasterWolf

@bondfish: I loved the music, but where is Jody

No Caption Provided
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Dont worry it isnt just because it is rap , it does not fit the MK universe just as Marilyn Manson never fitted in the Dragon Age trailers. I do wonder if that is how next gen MK will look like or not (probably not but it looked kind of nice) and play.

Why does it not fit the MK universe? Seriously, we are talking about a trailer for a video game where someones head was cut off and impaled in a tree.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SLOW NEWS DAY

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By freakin9

Hopefully when they bring back the Babality they commission Justin Bieber to get his "Baby Baby" song for a trailer for that future game. People will love that I'm sure. And only comment on the gameplay in said video.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: Well I dont imagine rap having to do with anything MK.... nor metal or rock for that matter , MK has its own legacy of music they could´ve used that fitted perfectly.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I just want phat beats all over the place. Basically, i want Def Jam: Mortal Kombat

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@darthorange: Well I dont imagine rap having to do with anything MK.... nor metal or rock for that matter , MK has its own legacy of music they could´ve used that fitted perfectly.

Ah yes, the wonderful legacy of MK music!

Loading Video...

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: They did the Music inspired by MK with all EDM artists last time, I would be stoked to see the same thing but with Rap/Hip-Hop this time around.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bondfish: I loved the music, but where is Jody

No Caption Provided

Finally someone who understands what MK has been missing all these years.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aetheldod

@yummylee: Well I´ll be damned D: ..... I was thinking the orchestral music from the games , but sir you just showed me the horror , the horror :(

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bondfish said:

But people are talking more about the damn music in a trailer of a game that isn't shipping until next year. I want to see the comments that are actually focusing on the gameplay rather than the music because this song will probably not be in the game at all. I want to see the comments of people saying all of the cool things they can do with some of the new mechanics they were showing; using the environment or the really detailed X-Ray moves that might be in the game and not the trailer.

Anyone else have thoughts on this or am I caring a bit much.

There's not really much to talk about when it comes to the trailer other than the music and animation though. You can't talk about gameplay or new mechanics because none were shown. I mean, you could speculate, but when you're viewing a video of the trailer, people's thoughts and comments will typically reflect how they felt about what they saw. If you want to talk about stuff that might be in the game, you should go visit a MK forum, or create a thread here with that purpose.

And yeah, I think you're just caring too much. People are ALWAYS cynical and overly negative when there's a game announcement.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs more Wu Tang Clan.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By falserelic

Lets add some Naruto music instead.

Loading Video...

When your a reincarnation of a powerful warrior. Your destine to do great things...phenomenal things.

No Caption Provided

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cerberus3dog

@falserelic said:

Lets add some Naruto music instead.

Loading Video...

Maybe we'll get some Naruto music in the 2016 Japanese exclusive release, Chibi Mortal Kombat X

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

As someone that HATES rap music, I can say that I hated that song. I hope that is not representative of the music in the game as a whole.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys have no idea how much of a shit show it is to license tracks for trailers. It is a miracle that every single trailer isn't done to the most generic club / pop song that is hot at the time. Usually they are way too many people involved in making that sort of decision, shit you not I had some execs legitimately asking us to use "wrecking ball" in one of our trailers because it was the hot thing at the time......

so just be glad that the MK guys could make a cool trailer to a song which I felt fit the trailer and the feel of MK (and not use "sail" "I'm coming home", "started from the bottom" or "radioactive"). Even though I can see why people would not like the music (and that is the reason why most trailers are super safe, cause they don't want to piss people off who just don't like that genre)

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@teaoverlord: Because I don't find the core component of it, the act of rapping, to be even remotely enjoyable.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck rap.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's almost as if hip-hop and martial arts have been a thing for 20+ years.

The action in the trailer went along with the entire verse of the song. Even if I'm not the biggest Wiz Khalifa fan, I enjoyed Neatherrealm doing something unexpected.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@hatking said:

Saying they could have picked a better track or that you don't think the genre of music fits (you're wrong, but whatever) is one thing, but just flat out dismissing it because of the genre?

I've always found this rather close-minded as well. In my mind, as long as the piece of music fits stylistically with the game/action being shown (and I don't know if this was the case with the MKX trailer, since I haven't watched it), then the developer has done their job.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@aetheldod said:

Ah yes, the wonderful legacy of MK music!

Loading Video...

That music video was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title (in spite it mentioning Mortal Kombat X in specific), I'm glad to see that it was posted for this thread.

Not to get too off topic, but wasn't that Adema music video brought up on some Giant Bomb content some time in the distant past?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee

@equitasinvictus: It's very likely been mentioned by Jeff during one of the many, many MK-related streams they've done. Dunno if it's actually been shown, but I wouldn't been surprised as there's just simply been so much content with the guys playing MK games. One thing I do know for certain, however, is Vinny & Drew showing Psi Ops' own NU-Metal junk With My Mind by Cold during its Load Our Last Save video! Which, unlike the Adema song, I actually kinda like... A guilty pleasure to say the least :P

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@equitasinvictus: It's very likely been mentioned by Jeff during one of the many, many MK-related streams they've done. Dunno if it's actually been shown, but I wouldn't been surprised as there's just simply been so much content with the guys playing MK games. One thing I do know for certain, however, is Vinny & Drew showing Psi Ops' own NU-Metal junk With My Mind by Cold during its Load Our Last Save video! Which, unlike the Adema song, I actually kinda like... A guilty pleasure to say the least :P

YES! "With My Mind" is probably the most tasteful (least tasteless?) music video that happened to come with a video game ever.

Mortal Kombat X can learn a thing or two from it!

Also Psi-Ops was a great Load Our Last Save by Vinny and Drew!

Loading Video...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

So your complaint is that people talk too much about the music in the trailer and not the actual gameplay itself and you come here to create a thread about that music in the trailer to tell people they shouldn't be talking so much about the music in the trailer?

I'm confused.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Thought it was a good vibe but Wiz Khalifas flow does nothing for me. Some people are just awful people that get offended whenever they hear someone rapping though. I also don't know much about what Mortal Kombat should sound like so it's perfectly possible the old vibe was just better, but it does seem like the kind of game that could convincingly pull off a really good hip hop soundtrack.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as good as Tekken's exclusive rap song.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I loved it.

I also love the uncomfortable and confusing feelings it has given others.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sanious

The whole argument that it doesn't fit makes no sense to me because if done correctly they could possibly make so many other pieces of music work with an MK trailer. It fits because they were artistically made it able to fit, the only reason it doesn't is because people either don't like the genre of music or have pre-concieved notions as what MK music "should" be. I was glad to hear it didn't have rock, metal or electronic music. Was a good fun trailer.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can say for sure that i love hip hop but in one of these games it sucks.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You people would prefer this kind of thing?

Loading Video...

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I generally don't like listening to rap, but I kind of liked the song in that trailer though. Maybe I would of preferred some metal rock personally.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie: I loved the use of "Reptile" by Skrillex in the last game, that being said I also loved the music in the X trailer so yeah.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Strife777

As someone who enjoys rap without being some rap "historian", I can say with confidence that I think Wiz Khalifa is not very good. I would be harsher, but I'll admit to not having listened to enough of his music.

Same goes for the music choice in the trailer. I don't have a problem with the tone of it or if it fits with Mortal Kombat or not, I just don't think it's any good.

Edit: Oh and yes, I do prefer that Skrillex song. That whole MK album was fucking great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.