Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Franchise »

The Mortal Kombat series, and its many games, continues to deliver gruesome fighting action to its fans.

Midway: Sell Mortal Kombat Or Reorg And We'll Give You A Bonus

• 75 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    F, D, F, HP
    F, D, F, HP
    Documents relating to the ongoing bankruptcy proceedings at Midway Games have revealed some interesting potential bonus dollars for a high-level crew of 29 “officers, management-level employees and other non-insider key employees," according to the bankruptcy and corporate restructuring focused netDockets.

The incentive program seems to be designed to get those 29 people to stick around long enough to get Midway back on something resembling the right track.
    1. Milestone: Entry into a publishing/distribution agreement for Midway’s new “Wheelman” game (apparently already accomplished), performance by Midway entitling it to gross proceeds of $6 million under the agreement by March 1, 2009, and actual receipt of those proceeds.  Bonus Amount: $497,500.
    2. Milestone: Either (i) execution of an asset purchase agreement for the sale of Midway’s Mortal Kombat franchise assets or (ii) submission by Midway of a plan of reorganization to continue as a going concern.  Bonus Amount: $1,292,500.
    3. Milestone: The earlier to occur of (i) confirmation of a plan of reorganization or liquidation or (ii) closing of a sale of Midway’s Mortal Kombat franchise assets.  Bonus Amount: $1,965,000.
    It's probably safe to assume that the first milestone was put on track to be met when the company dealt the publishing rights off to Ubisoft. But the other two are a little more interesting, and not just because I'm way more interested in the future of Mortal Kombat than I am in Vin Diesel's upcoming adventure.

It's interesting that MK has become one of the first Midway properties that have come up in a "SELL THIS STUFF" context. I had sort of figured it would end up being one of the last, and that we'd see an IP fire sale with everything from Spy Hunter to Freaky Flyers getting dealt to other interested parties before the fighting series. Because, really, at this point, what is Midway without Mortal Kombat? That's probably why the above milestones have "or" in them. Either Midway needs to sell Mortal Kombat or find a way to reorganize and continue operation. It probably can't do both.

For its part, Midway sounds like it would rather rebuild itself than sell MK. Edge had this to say on the subject:
    But Geoff Mogilner, Midway's head of investor relations said in a phone interview, "We're not going out of our way to sell Mortal Kombat." He said Midway may keep its properties instead of selling them off in pieces. "That's management's goal, to keep the company together."
    Kotaku points out that the company is making these attempts to pay bonuses while former employees haven't been paid out their back pay. But considering bonus incentives like the ones proposed are probably the only thing keeping Midway's executive team on the job and focused on figuring out some kind of long-term solution, it at least makes some kind of sense. Whether that's a good or bad thing probably depends on your views on the competence of whoever those 29 people are.

So if Mortal Kombat did get dealt, who would pick it up? And do you think they'd bring over any of Midway's current MK team to keep making it?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    F, D, F, HP
    F, D, F, HP
    Documents relating to the ongoing bankruptcy proceedings at Midway Games have revealed some interesting potential bonus dollars for a high-level crew of 29 “officers, management-level employees and other non-insider key employees," according to the bankruptcy and corporate restructuring focused netDockets.

The incentive program seems to be designed to get those 29 people to stick around long enough to get Midway back on something resembling the right track.
    1. Milestone: Entry into a publishing/distribution agreement for Midway’s new “Wheelman” game (apparently already accomplished), performance by Midway entitling it to gross proceeds of $6 million under the agreement by March 1, 2009, and actual receipt of those proceeds.  Bonus Amount: $497,500.
    2. Milestone: Either (i) execution of an asset purchase agreement for the sale of Midway’s Mortal Kombat franchise assets or (ii) submission by Midway of a plan of reorganization to continue as a going concern.  Bonus Amount: $1,292,500.
    3. Milestone: The earlier to occur of (i) confirmation of a plan of reorganization or liquidation or (ii) closing of a sale of Midway’s Mortal Kombat franchise assets.  Bonus Amount: $1,965,000.
    It's probably safe to assume that the first milestone was put on track to be met when the company dealt the publishing rights off to Ubisoft. But the other two are a little more interesting, and not just because I'm way more interested in the future of Mortal Kombat than I am in Vin Diesel's upcoming adventure.

It's interesting that MK has become one of the first Midway properties that have come up in a "SELL THIS STUFF" context. I had sort of figured it would end up being one of the last, and that we'd see an IP fire sale with everything from Spy Hunter to Freaky Flyers getting dealt to other interested parties before the fighting series. Because, really, at this point, what is Midway without Mortal Kombat? That's probably why the above milestones have "or" in them. Either Midway needs to sell Mortal Kombat or find a way to reorganize and continue operation. It probably can't do both.

For its part, Midway sounds like it would rather rebuild itself than sell MK. Edge had this to say on the subject:
    But Geoff Mogilner, Midway's head of investor relations said in a phone interview, "We're not going out of our way to sell Mortal Kombat." He said Midway may keep its properties instead of selling them off in pieces. "That's management's goal, to keep the company together."
    Kotaku points out that the company is making these attempts to pay bonuses while former employees haven't been paid out their back pay. But considering bonus incentives like the ones proposed are probably the only thing keeping Midway's executive team on the job and focused on figuring out some kind of long-term solution, it at least makes some kind of sense. Whether that's a good or bad thing probably depends on your views on the competence of whoever those 29 people are.

So if Mortal Kombat did get dealt, who would pick it up? And do you think they'd bring over any of Midway's current MK team to keep making it?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Activision will pick up MK and just gut the team completely.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

You don't have MK without the MK team.  Otherwise, it would be a failure.  If they get sold, I'll bet EA would make a HELL of a bid for it.  Why not?  They don't have a fighting franchise after all (and anyone who says Def Jam deserves to be kicked in the face by Joe Budden).  With all the GOOD things that EA has been doing lately (original IPs, acquiring killer teams like Bioware and Pandemic, bringing out the amazing development talents of Redwood Shores, reworking their old franchises to breath some new life into them)...

I think EA would be a worthwhile person to pick up MK.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By weltal

"Because, really, at this point, what is Midway without Mortal Kombat?"

Alive. I guess that's better than the alternative.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

I want Capcom to pick up Mortal Kombat so they can make that Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter game Ed Boon's always talking about.

RafamanGrundy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RafamanGrundy

I'm gonna say capcom. A man can dream.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By wh1terav3n

Ubisoft, or god forbid, EA will end up picking it up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
    Weltal said:
    ""Because, really, at this point, what is Midway without Mortal Kombat?"Alive. I guess that's better than the alternative. "
    ...not really.  What else does Midway have to offer?

Stranglehold?  =  /
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By iamjohn

I'm certain that if someone buys Mortal Kombat, they will pretty much never use it, like Ubi's done with Driver.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Lilarcor

I think buying the rights to MK without also bringing in the team (or Ed Boon at the very least) would be a pretty huge mistake. Then again, the game industry has made dumber decisions before so it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Midway without Mortal Kombat isn't Midway at all.
    I have no idea what they hope to accomplish by dropping that series.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By EvilDingo

Kind of hope a western developer picks it up. Have a hard time imagining future games staying "faithful" to the license under a japanese developer.

Also, I find this coverage somewhat more informative than what I read on Kotaku earlier. Great job.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By TheHBK

Oh man, midway without Mortal Kombat is like having to look at a nutless monkey.  Just don't see it.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weltal
    jakob187 said:
    "Weltal said:
    ""Because, really, at this point, what is Midway without Mortal Kombat?"Alive. I guess that's better than the alternative. "

Stranglehold?  =  /
    "
    Just saying, they probably don't want to go under and MK is probably their greatest assent to prevent that. At this point they're banking on Wheelman and if they survive maybe we can see some interesting new IPs... or maybe they're better off dead.
    NT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NT

This is what you call "Chapter 7 Cosplay" featuring golden parachutes.

zrollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zrollo

I am hoping for EA or Capcom. They are they only two who could do any good with the franchise.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r
    jakob187 said:
    "Weltal said:

Stranglehold?  =  /
    "
    Here's what they could resurrect with some decent success perhaps (on the Wii please)!

I was so in love with this on the Dreamcast. Maybe it's not as good as Hydro, but it looked so good and it was so fun to play, with silky smooth frame rate and awesome speed. The intro above lacks the fun, but I can't find good quality gameplay videos on the tube. Maybe this low quality one will do:

Yet, the arcade version was inferior and actually pretty bad (even visually) so perhaps it wasn't in-house Midway that created the Dreamcast version... Lovely long winded tracks huh? It took almost 3 minutes for a single lap above! Here's a review. Monster Games probably took a hint from this for Excite Truck.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

Lets all band together and buy Mortal Kombat. The time is now!

I expect this news to be a huge topic of discussion on the Bombcast.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By McQuinn

that sounds awful I hope they keep MK

Avatar image for xthorninmysidex
    xthorninmysidex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xthorninmysidex

If its sold it will probley only screw up one of my favorite series.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThomasP
    Blues falling down like hail.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
    iAmJohn said:
    "I'm certain that if someone buys Mortal Kombat, they will pretty much never use it, like Ubi's done with Driver."
    But...Driver has never been good!  Mortal Kombat just got great again!!!

There's a VAST difference.
    Rudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rudy

I guess it's too late to ask my congressman to sneak a Midway bailout into the thousand + page bailout legislation. :)  Looking at Midway's upcoming titles I don't really see anything that excites me.  I'm sure MK will end up in some capable developer's hands, but I really doubt that Midway survives this economy and those bankruptcy terms much longer.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Double0hFor

o well it stopped being good after number 2 for me

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By TheGreatGuero

As a huge, long-term Mortal Kombat fan, I don't really know what to say about the issue. I'd like for Midway to keep making MK games, but maybe that's not going to happen. At the very least, if the series becomes property of another company, I hope they hire some of the key members of the MK team to continue to work on the game under this other gaming company.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26  Edited By SunKing

I truly hope that the Mortal Kombat licence goes to a studio which knows how to treat it well, as well as picking up some of the ex-Midway staff, whose talent contributed to the only good Mortal Kombat game in a long while. Also, Driver was a great game for the PS1 at the time and was precursor to GTA III. Sure, the tutorial level sucked giant monkey balls, but it was still way ahead of the game at that point.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Death_Burnout
    R, HP, HP, HK, B+HK = Life!
    JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JohnDudebro

Yeah, people saying Capcom should pick it up have a point. MK vs. Street Fighter could actually happen, and as long as they brought over Ed Boon and a few other key people from the team that franchise could do fine.

Realistically, I imagine somebody like Activision picking it up. They've got money to burn and don't have a good fighting game franchise under their belt. I could also totally see them picking up a few other titles from Midway, maybe grabbing Blitz to turn into their Madden competitor. They're probably in the best position to take these on.
    zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zoozilla

I can't think of any Midway title besides Mortal Kombat.

In fact, if Mortal Kombat weren't mentioned in the story, I don't think I would be able to name any game made by Midway.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilDingo
    jakob187 said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    "I'm certain that if someone buys Mortal Kombat, they will pretty much never use it, like Ubi's done with Driver."
    But...Driver has never been good!  Mortal Kombat just got great again!!!

There's a VAST difference."
    Agree.
    Can't imagine HOW anyone could buy the MK-license and never use it.
    Simply to many people are loyal to the series and buy every new MK game... no matter HOW disappointing previous games have been (I'm one of those).
    The series apparently sells on potential and hope of what the games could become :-)

... I'm such a sucker...
    Avatar image for natural_deadhead
    natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By natural_deadhead

Activision or EA are going to rape MK

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By TomA

I bet that if they can get the first 2 milestones,then they won't have to sell MK and they can get back on this "track" of which you speak.But i hope the next MK goes back to it's roots,while keeping the good stuff from MK vs DC,ie Free Fall Kombat and the enhanced controls,while getting rid of stuff like the DC characters and Test your Might...how i hate Test your Might.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By weltal
    natural_deadhead said:
    "Activision or EA are going to rape MK"
    I suppose it'll be slightly worse than being raped by Midway.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

even though im not into fighting games, but if they decide to give up MK then i think Take-Two would be a good candidate to pick it up. i think there are creative guys at T2 who could contribute to the franchise. other than that, EA could also pick this up, but seriously? do we really want that?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RipTheVeins

So I guess at this point it's more than likely going to be either a completely reworked Mortal Kombat (which could be fine if done right, but will probably piss a lot of fans off anyways) or NO Mortal Kombat....Let's hope wherever MK ends up, Boon follows.

NeuroticOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NeuroticOwl

I think the statement that "what is Midway without Mortal Kombat" reflects pretty well on who I'd prefer to buy the license.  MK vs. DC so completely renewed my faith in MK, that I'd be hardpressed to look forward to a sale.

But I guess if I HAD to choose, I agree with the dudes saying Capcom.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InFamous91

Wow

KaB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KaB3

Oh my god, i can't believe it. My favorite fighting franchise can't be fucked up just like this! Mortal Kombat can't be done by an entity which isn't the MK Team, it's as if Coca-Cola was made by Pepsi, or a randomly selected company.

Capcom could do some good things with the franchise if they used some RE-Like spooky gfx, but it would totally suck if they changed the typical MK Control Scheme.

And EA would be good too, but i don't feel like reading any publicity banner while doing a fatality (LOL).

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ouroboros

I guess hoping Capcom picks MK up is the most desirable option; think of the eventual Mortal Kombat v Street Fighter crossover game!

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40  Edited By KnightsofRound

If I had to choose anyone to pick up MK I'd probably go with Capcom.  Who knows... maybe Capcom could actually turn MK into a fighting game more people would take seriously.  Regardless of where MK ends up I hope Boon stays with it to ensure the franchise stays true to itself.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jared

If it had to be sold I wish that Capcom would buy it, as long as Ed comes with the series!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zityz

If they were to sell of franchises to keep them afloat id say sell off the following.
    Mortal Kombat series to SNK
    Gauntlet to EA or Activsion
    Smash TV to Capcom

Reason I say SNK over capcom, is that sure capcom has street fighter, but that's what capcom does best, like where's a new dark stalkers? Where as SNK has Samurai Showdown, KoF, Fatal Fury , Art of Fighting and so on. So they know how to deal with more types of fighting games. IF that series does get sold off Id say you at LEAST need to keep Ed Boon, cause that duddes the heart and soul of that franchise.

Id rather have Midway start selling off other stuff first really, but what can ya do?

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ferrarimanf355

They're going to reorg. I FRIGGIN HOPE THEY REORG. THEY'RE TOO IMPORTANT TO ME TO DIE. DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!!!

RyShe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By RyShe

This could get all sorts of dirty with the next MK presumable using the Unreal Engine. I hope it works out.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By crusader8463

Square should buy it. that way we could finally see the epic fight everyone has always wanted....sub-zero vs mickey mouse in...Kingdom Hearts
    vs Mortal Kombat!

Stormarrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stormarrow

I would love to see Midway somehow come out of this and see Mortal Kombat continue to survive under their banner. Honestly, to see Mortal Kombat with another publisher would break my heart, however, it might be the best hope for the franchise. I think I could best see it with EA or Activision (I'd prefer EA for some reason). 

No matter what the turnout though, MK will be dead in my eyes without Ed Boon.
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gunswordfist
    RafamanGrundy said:
    "I'm gonna say capcom. A man can dream."

Yeah I want to use Ken to beat the SH!T out of Shao Kahn and say 'I thought this guy was supposed to be a hard boss?' lol
    Avatar image for technicallyproficient
    TechnicallyProficient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.   Milestone: Sell off rights of Mortal Kombat franchise to Capcom.

2.   Milestone: Release downloadable pack of MK characters for Street Fighter IV.

3.   Milestone: Down, Down-Forward, Forward, Down, Down-Forward, Forward, Punch to drop an arcade machine on Ken.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Media_Master

All I can say is MKvs.DC was awesome, so the team should stick to it!

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By StarFoxA

It sucks that Midway is going through all of this crap. I hope a good company picks up Mortal Kombat. Capcom, anyone?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.