Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Do you think Mortal Kombat would be better without a block button

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stete

I'm having a great time playing this but I just can't get my brain to process the fact that you have to press a button to block instead of holding back. I know that this has always been the MK tradition but virtually no other fighting game series in the last 10-15 years has ever used a button dedicated to blocking. What do you think?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

Yeah, it'd be about 100x better actually.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Nah, it's always been a staple to the play mechanic to have it in. I think it's what makes it unique having it in there.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It used to bother me in the early 90s, when pretty much no other fighting games used a button to block.  Since then, though, every Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Tekken, and Virtua Fighter that I can think of has had a block button.  Years of 3D fighters have made this a non-issue for me.  I'm just used to it now.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've never liked holding back to block in fighting games. It's always felt weird because back also moves you backward, and I don't want to move backwards, I want to block. It's counter intuitive to what my brain has been conditioned to think after years of playing other kinds of games. Having a dedicated block button in MK is fantastic.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

No

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TechHits
    @Stete said:

but virtually no other fighting game series in the last 10-15 years has ever used a button dedicated to blocking

Unless you count all the 3d games that use a block button.  

But not having a block button would brake mk, you would need to be physic to block all the teleport attacks and ambiguous cross-up drop in attacks.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Nope. After a while it becomes natural. You'll need it to in order block teleports or Raiden's ex lighting ball.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Bestostero

I personally like holding back better, but good arguments about teleporters, so there you go lol

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    Since then, though, every Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Tekken, and Virtua Fighter that I can think of has had a block button.
    Tekken has never had a block button. 

I like having a block button in MK. Its one of its main distinctions from Street Fighter.
    daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By daiphyer
    @MattyFTM said:

I've never liked holding back to block in fighting games. It's always felt weird because back also moves you backward, and I don't want to move backwards, I want to block. It's counter intuitive to what my brain has been conditioned to think after years of playing other kinds of games. Having a dedicated block button in MK is fantastic.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

As someone who doesn't play other fighting games, holding back to block has always seemed super weird to me. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but it's one I've never understood. So yeah, I like having a proper block button.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By damswedon

They would have to get rid of teleports to make it fun for the casual MK fan so no.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By mau64

I don't think so. It makes it a little more tactical then having everyone holding back all the time. I like it how it is.

IntoTheN1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IntoTheN1ght

VF series has used a button to block since beginning and most people will agree that it is the deepest fighting game series, 2d or 3d.

Teleports are a far bigger issue in MK for "noobs" than anything else, that is all people do online and if you are new to the game and dont know how to handle it, then those people will just eject the disc and put back Black Ops or Halo, because while those games also have their own imbalances (especially MW2) they still get to play and win team objective games. Whereas in a fighting game, when you lose, it is your fault, cant blame it on teammates or what not.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptPanda29

It's seems easy for me to swap between things like Street Fighter and MK9 now, but I used to lose my mind learning to hold back...

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TechHits
    @IntoTheN1ght said:
    VF series has used a button to block since beginning and most people will agree that it is the deepest fighting game series, 2d or 3d. Teleports are a far bigger issue in MK for "noobs" than anything else, that is all people do online and if you are new to the game and dont know how to handle it, then those people will just eject the disc and put back Black Ops or Halo, because while those games also have their own imbalances (especially MW2) they still get to play and win team objective games. Whereas in a fighting game, when you lose, it is your fault, cant blame it on teammates or what not.
    what does this have to do with mortal kombat being better with/without a block button? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No probably not

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By taccyp

I've always preferred holding back. Having a block button completely changes the wake up and mix up game since ambiguous jump ins aren't very effective. It's not really that I don't like holding block, I just don't like how it removes the "should I block left or right?" mixup game.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

@MattyFTM said:

This

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Yanngc33 said:

@MattyFTM said:

This

Yep
    ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ichthy

Game is built around having a block button, so no.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonman671

No, I like the block button.  I just wish the AI wasn't so supernaturally talented at using it.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By Lelcar

I'm perfectly OK with a block button. Kinda like it better now actually. It was a little hard to get used to after coming from Super Street Fighter IV, but now it's weird going back to Street Fighter and having to hold back.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ares42  Online

Hmm, having a hard time seeing the connection between topic title and the first post. Nothing you said had anything to do with making the game better or worse =o

But ye, as others have said, there's a bunch of attacks in the game that's designed based on the fact that you don't need to know where the attack comes from to block it, so changing it to a traditional block would necessarily lead to a major overhaul of the game.

lockon_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By lockon_one

being used to other fighting games (tekken, street fighter, mvc, blazblue), im used to just holding back to block attacks. though mk is a different game with different mechanics and strats, having the block button is ok. it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Hizang

I never block in any fighting game.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By MAST

@MideonNViscera said:

Yeah, it'd be about 100x better actually.

100x better? Really? A change to this tiny little thing would make the game 100x better for you? That has to be sarcasm, right? /shrug

@MattyFTM said:

Pretty much exactly this. I couldn't have said it any better.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

No.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ComradeKhan

Having a dedicated block button allows you to block while you queue up the directional buttons for a special move or fatality without moving. 

GregIsRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GregIsRad

Without a block button, blocking attacks traditionally like in Street Fighter would make blocking teleport attacks like Scorpion's, Smoke's, or Sektor's controller-throwingly FRUSTRATING.

Ryeth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ryeth23

Removing the block button would make the game better IMO! It has been in MK games for it's whole series of games, which is why i play it for a day or two with a buddy and never buy it. I feel like having a dedicated block button makes the game too easy to play. Other fighting games, such as ultimate marvel vs capcom, have teleports that are just as fast as a raiden or kung lao and nobody seems to have trouble blocking it holding back. Having to hold back or back/down to block makes the game much more challenging. It enables cross overs and high/low mix ups. You can also move while holding back until someone inputs a move. Unlike holding block you can't jump, move, input a move. Remove the block button and this game instantly gets better. Why don't more games allow blocking in the air as well while holding back? THAT'S SICK!! I also understand MK is a pretty popular game and has always had a dedicated block button. But is it just me or has anyone else noticed i don't see mortal kombat played OFTEN after a year of release? maybe not because of the block scheme, but could be :) while other games....street fighter and ultimate marvel vs capcom, to name 2, are still being played and streamed ALL THE TIME on twitch. both games require holding back to block

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell naw. Finishers are so much more manageable with a block button.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Block button is good for MK's style; Injustice may have been well served by a block button for example (though it worked fine without it). Of course there's plenty of games that are interesting to play without block buttons so who knows. Also necro.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

No.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the reason I'm awful at MK, so I guess I'd be happy, but I know that I'm the minority.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all. It wouldn't feel like a Mortal Kombat game. I get why people who are used to the other style thinking it's better but this is what most MK players know. No reason to change it for a different audience. Plus I don't think adding another button adds anything particularly interesting.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Ruiner

I like Street Fighter so I'd like the option to hold back to block.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryeth23 said:

I feel like having a dedicated block button makes the game too easy to play.

And nobody wants that!

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deadshot_52

I honestly do not care either way.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mattyftm said:

Likewise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.