Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Getting creamed in story mode at medium

haroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haroon

OK either I am seriously shit at this game or the AI got infinitely better since the demo. I am getting annihilated by the AI blocking most of the attacks including X-rays, never falling for a parry, always following up hits with combos and just generally fucking me up really nice and hard. And am I the only one who has to play super cheap to even get past some double encounters like shang tsung and reptile? My block never comes out in time and when it does they AI just throws or stands there looking at me with their pretty faces, waiting for me to balls up a combo, then kick my ass some more.

Coming from playing ssf4 and building two characters to level c in multiplayer I never thought twice to play the single player since the fun was in playing. Point being i never had to be forced to face hard ass AI to have fun. In MK they crafted a super sweet single player narrative and you have to either feel like a tool playing on beginner, or get frustrated playing on medium just to see more story. 

Anyway sorry for the rant, just wanted to see what other players experiences were in the single player mode. Loving the game though...:)
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd
    @haroon: If beginner is too easy and medium is too hard why not play on easy?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Zidd said:
    " @haroon: If beginner is too easy and medium is too hard why not play on easy? "
    Maybe the OP never read Goldielocks?

Serious note, just jump kick and do specials.  It's not that hard.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

Been hearing a lot of people mirroring your complaints about the story mode, but I never had trouble with the exception of the final few chapters. Play it on easy man, no one's gonna judge you.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By craigbo180

Medium is mostly fine but challenging on double and boss fights, but I made it through ok. If you really can't do it and want to see the story just bump it down to easy, fighting A.I. opponents doesn't really relate to actual skill anyway.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Bestostero

Yeah you can adjust the difficulty rating for Story Mode and you'll still unlock all the rewards for story mode.

Fiero_Addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fiero_Addict

I didn't have too much trouble until the very end, and then it just got ridiculous. But I've heard that the difficulty will adjust automatically, so just keep trying.

haroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By haroon
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Zidd said:
    " @haroon: If beginner is too easy and medium is too hard why not play on easy? "
    Maybe the OP never read Goldielocks?Serious note, just jump kick and do specials.  It's not that hard. "
    ahh yeah that jump kick strat, actually I think the reason I got worked up was because they chuck you in with a new character and I'm too into the game to look up the specials so I stand that flailing my fists and gyrating back and forth trying to get a throw...
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amomjc

The story-mode has its hard points, especially the tag-matches, but is a little difficulty that bad? I mean, it adds a form of accomplishment when you finish fights and see the next cut scene instead of blazing through the content as if Disney wrote it. That's just me, but I guess I enjoy a little difficulty and challenge in my games, makes my $60 feel worth it. Shao Kahn's Cheapness though...ugh, I cannot stand playing cheap, but in order to even see your self beating him, you have to.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thebatmobile

I played on medium without problem, until the last battle against Shao Kahn. He's a bitch. So I lowered it there.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By OldManLight

Jump kick/punch into specials or simple combos got me through most people, fireball spam vs shao kahn 1 and teleport to uppercut for shao kahn 2. When you start a new chap, look at the move list and simple combos, that is key to getting through the 2v1 fights.

haroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By haroon
    @csoup said:
    " The story-mode has its hard points, especially the tag-matches, but is a little difficulty that bad? I mean, it adds a form of accomplishment when you finish fights and see the next cut scene instead of blazing through the content as if Disney wrote it. That's just me, but I guess I enjoy a little difficulty and challenge in my games, makes my $60 feel worth it. Shao Kahn's Cheapness though...ugh, I cannot stand playing cheap, but in order to even see your self beating him, you have to. "
    Thats actually how I play alot of games, getting the satisfaction of beating it on a respectable difficulty. Although it doesn't do wonders for my raging outbursts. In any case I shall take your advice sir and tough it out!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

Most of the 1v2 fights are fucking ridiculous. I had some trouble with a few specific characters nearly every time I'd fight them as well (Sektor's almost instant teleport punch, Ermac doing 50+% combos). Other than that (and Goro, since I've never been good with Liu Kang), I've been pretty much rolling everyone. I'm in Chapter 10 (Jade).

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ben_H
    @thebatmobile said:
    " I played on medium without problem, until the last battle against Shao Kahn. He's a bitch. So I lowered it there. "
    This.  The fights with the regular fighters were easy, but the boss fights were tricky until you figured out how to exploit their weaknesses.  Shao Khan at the end was insanely difficult though.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

You need to spend time learning the characters, you can't button mash your way through on story mode. So either be cheap or learn the characters. 

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amomjc
    @haroon said:

" @csoup said:

" The story-mode has its hard points, especially the tag-matches, but is a little difficulty that bad? I mean, it adds a form of accomplishment when you finish fights and see the next cut scene instead of blazing through the content as if Disney wrote it. That's just me, but I guess I enjoy a little difficulty and challenge in my games, makes my $60 feel worth it. Shao Kahn's Cheapness though...ugh, I cannot stand playing cheap, but in order to even see your self beating him, you have to. "
    Thats actually how I play alot of games, getting the satisfaction of beating it on a respectable difficulty. Although it doesn't do wonders for my raging outbursts. In any case I shall take your advice sir and tough it out! "
    When you get stuck on one part, its generally not you that is lacking in skill, its that you just haven't practiced with that character. I think the designers had the intention that if, to say, you had trouble with Jade in Story Mode, you would back out into Arcade or practice and try her out until you feel comfy. After that, you could jump right back into Story Mode and kick some ass. This is how I beat Shao Kahn finally with Raiden, I could not get down when you use what, when to jump, and nailing the specials (if you don't do them exactly at the right time, you will find a hammer in your face). So I jumped into Practice and waited until I felt comfy with doing what I needed, then I beat Shao Kahn on my third try :)
    jlanzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By jlanzer
    @OldManLight said:
    " Jump kick/punch into specials or simple combos got me through most people, fireball spam vs shao kahn 1 and teleport to uppercut for shao kahn 2. When you start a new chap, look at the move list and simple combos, that is key to getting through the 2v1 fights. "
    The shao kahn fights can get a little hairy, but these are the best strategies.  He'll do a taunt loop if you stand far enough away allowing you to fireball spam, this will also work anytime you fight him in the game with anyone with a distance attack.  The second was harder cause you had to time the teleport just right. 

Also goro and the other 4 armed peeps just jump punch and then uppercut when you land.  you might actually get a flawless victory  if you stick with it. 
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Helimocopter

learn your combos and special moves

throw often (i found that they rarely counter throws on medium difficulty)
    nickernzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By nickernzen

2v1 fights are relatively easy if you don't mind fighting cheap. The AI doesn't seem to handle throws well. I just blocked high until they got close and threw them. You should be able to easily beat most fights like that as long as you are patient and don't let go of block too early.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.