Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Good For A Non-Fighter Gamer?

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By avidwriter

I just got a PS3 around black friday and I'm compiling games I want to get. MK looks amazing, I've watched GiantBomb do their QL and their little tournament they had back when the video's were live. I really like the way the good looks and presummabely plays. Espically how the loser just gets back up all bloody and beat to hell to fight the next round.

However, I'm not into fighting games. Mostly because I only play these solo and I suck at them.

Given that however I still like MK or rather I think I would? The last one I got was I think Armageddon on the gamecube (still not sure why I did that).

Would I be able to beat the story mode and most of the challenges here being a mostly crappy fighter player?

Thanks!

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Absolutely, I suck at all fighters, but picked up MK9's mechanics immediately.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

For sure. This is the only fighting game I own and I love it. There's a ton of meat to the game not including the multiplayer. And even beginners can jump into an online match an win a few. It's truly a fantastic and accessible game for anyone. Be sure to buy the special edition for the dlc characters.

Don't meant to advertise myself but I wrote a review and the title is in fact "I don't buy fighting games, I bought this one"

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

Definitely. I'm terrible, and I still managed to beat the Challenge Tower, simply because the game is brilliant at breaking bad habits and instilling good ones.

That said, Shao Khan is a motherfucker, but you can cheese him, so don't worry about it.

Edit: Now I want to play through the story again...

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By landon

Yeah, I think the mechanics are pretty simple and doing combos is easy. And there is a ton of single player content if you play it by yourself.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Sure, but you might need to learn how to exploit some of the AI in places, there are a couple of fights that require you to be kinda spammy with moves. Shao Kahn is no joke if you don't resort to being just as cheap, same with some of the two on one fights. The story is definitely worth playing through though.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz

The early MKs are hard to grasp. I suck at them. MK9 is much much more approachable, and I'd advise it!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

I'd say so, but the final boss in story mode is so frustrating that it nearly ruined the game for me.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hailinel

I'd say so, but the final boss in story mode is so frustrating that it nearly ruined the game for me.

This is true. Don't be ashamed if you have to turn down the difficulty to beat him. It's a pain in the ass.
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By recroulette

A couple of the 2 on 1s are tricky, and that last boss fight is ridiculous, but the rest of it should be manageable. 

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Hailinel said:

For the bosses, the best (and pretty much only) way to get through them without losing your hair is cheap projectiles. If your character can't spam a projectile, getting close to do a hit them running away over and over is the best bet. The old MK's, spamming was pretty much the only way to beat a boss.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Kyreo

Totally man. One of the most approachable control schemes in fighting games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

MK9 is the fighting game for people who aren't good at fighting games, with whatever implications that come with that statement.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By avidwriter

Wow. Thanks everyone. I thought I'd find replies tomorrow not so soon! Yea I'll pick it up 100% now.

Yea I'll get the "Komplete" one too for sure.

Thanks again.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By apathylad

Lots of single-player content in that one, so you'll be busy even if you're not competitive with it on multiplayer. But yeah, you'll have to do some cheap tactics on bosses.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64

I think the most "noob friendly" fighting game is Marvel 3. There are only 4 attack buttons and it's easy to do basic combos.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Petiew
    @JJOR64: MK9 is the same, you can jump in and mash buttons and win the single player stuff pretty easily. MK9 put a lot of focus on the single player content, whereas Marvel focuses on playing against others. Someone jumping into Marvel 3 isn't going to get a lot out of it at this stage. Online is slow and filled with people who know what they're doing, I checked MK a long time ago and it was the same. But there's enough content to play it as only a single player game.
    avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By avidwriter

I don't really want to nerco this thread but I got the game today. I tried ladder match on beginner couldn't get past 8. I also failed one of the tutorials missions cause I couldn't do something, I can't remember which. Yea I guess I didn't get across how terrible I am at these games. Hoping I get better or I'm going to regret this purchase.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zungerman090

@avidwriter: Do the story mode instead. Try the challenge tower as well. My advice, just memorise the special moves and some three button combos. You can kind of get through the game with that.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By fox01313

Not a big fighting game person anymore but really enjoyed MK9 on how it did the fighting as well as the story, while it might not be for everyone to play all the way through it's recommended for everyone to give it a try for a few hours.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

MK9 is baller as fuck. Id also suggest DOA 5. Sucks that the whole fiasco with the DLC turned me off to the game.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rentfn

I'm not a big fighting game fan either and I really enjoyed this game. I wasn't able to beat the story, I think I could have but I gave up after dying on the same fight a lot. But it's also fun to jump online and get murdered.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Zekhariah

@avidwriter:

I know what you mean. At some point getting through the tutorial involved me lucking out while trying to press the buttons as fast as I can (timing seems to be in terms of getting presses to be near simultaneous). And then running into a brick wall in story mode after starting Smoke (chapter 7). On beginner mode. Pure button mashing seems to work a lot better than trying to do combos though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hope you really enjoy it. I steer as far as I can away from fighting games but found myself obsessed with mastering the mechanics of MK9. Really a fantastic game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Repeating what has been said here, but if you aren't too into fighter AND you play solo, this is the best fighting game you could choose.

Move inputs are simple, story mode and solo content is great (by far the best I've played in the genre), and there's some nice depth to be found once you put the time in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.