Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

How do I beat Shao Kahn! ARGH

• 70 results
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By LackLuster

I am SO fucking pissed right now all I want to do is break things, I am at the point in the story right now where you first fight Shao Kahn with Liu Kang and seriously I cannot fucking do this the most i have managed to get his hp to his 1/2 and he just rips my fucking shit . I tried doing it on easy and it was exactly the same... SO WHATS THE STRATEGY FOR THIS BITCH?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Gabriel

Keep away from him fullscreen, then when he throws the arrow or hammer teloport+Uppercut. 

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

What I did was basically just stay at a distance and play defensively until Shao Kahn does one of his taunts and then used the Dragon Kick to dash in and get a short 2-3 hit combo. Same basic strategy applies if you fight him with any other character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cheese it.

Double dash towards & jump over him, then bicycle kick until you have enough super for your X-ray worked for me.
    Jump over the hammer & low fireball under the arrows if you're at full screen.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JJGIANT

I play Sonya. I can beat Kahn pretty easily on medium just pattern recognition with his projectiles then arch kick his stupid face. On Hard + Its just get sooooooo fucking cheap I hate it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By big_jon

Teleport and uppercut.

radium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By radium

For that particular fight I just spammed low fireballs, he couldn't keep up with them. Otherwise you just need to take your time and don't go too crazy. Do avoid jumping in too much between the shoulder jump and almost all of his attacks having super armor its almost useless. Bicycle kick is your friend as well, don't just spam it though since the downtime is pretty bad if it whiffs. I hated Khan every time I had to fight him just take your time and you should get through. Also not sure if it works on Khan but sticking close to Goro on 275 in the tower stopped most of the more annoying attacks worth a shot at least.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CaptainObvious

I just spammed projectiles.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sanious

Basically.

Characters with fireballs = spam them from a distance.
    Characters with a teleport = wait for him to do a move/taunt and teleport behind him and uppercut or combo.

You have to be really patient and cheap to beat him. 
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The key really is just that you have to be patient. Use up the full time. Kahn has way too many unblockable attacks to allow for extremely aggressive strategies, imo.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Sanious said:
    "Basically.

Characters with fireballs = spam them from a distance.

"

Yep.  Good old MK II cheap tactics still work. God bless you Mr. Boon

Honestly, I found him much harder in older games, and thats because most of his attacks did about 1/3 damage. Now things seem ok so long as you can avoid his xray (and the same holds true for kintaro)

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DukeTogo
    @LackLuster: The trick when an opponent is playing cheap, is to play cheap as well.  That means lame jump kicks, endless projectiles, constant teleports, and the inevitable timeout win.  Remember that while they are overpowered and have bullshit moves that can't be blocked and do 50%+ damage, that's all they have and are actually pretty weak against hit and run tactics.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ares42

In normal story mode you can easily beat Shao Kahn with low fireball spam as Liu Kang.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ricetopher

Pretend your playing ST and go O. Sagat on his ass.

TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Bicycle Kick spamming fucks him up pretty nicely.

NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NorthSarge
    @Lord_Yeti said:
    " Bicycle Kick spamming fucks him up pretty nicely. "
    This.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlightConfuse

spam low fireball and if he gets close kicks

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

he's slow...jump over him a  lot and when he misses you can capitalize.

People are surely exaggerating the difficulty of the bosses in this game.  I mean, IGN even put it as a negative point for the game.  Gimmie a break, SF4 boss was waaaaay cheaper.  I beat Goro on 2 tries on Expert and Shao Kahn in about 10 tries.  Sure thats a lot but I'd expect even more on the hardest difficulty.

They also taunt a lot which is basically free hits.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Belonpopo
    @LackLuster: Projectiles.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dbz1995

Alright then so:

Shao Kahn's Charge Attack on the ground-just block or jump over it. You can't do much else.
    Shao Kahn's Anti-Air Charge Attack-If you're on the ground, you can punish him after he misses. Don't go for jump-ins or he'll use this attack, unless you're crossing-up.
    Shao Kahn's Overhead Hammer Smash-Block high, although he won't be doing this much, especially if you're crossing him up right.
    Shao Kahn's Hammer Swing-One of his scarier moves. Decimates jump ins and early and late cross-up attacks, and he combos after sometimes. It's also, however, going to get you a fair bit of damage. On wake-up, he does this attack to take out jumping opponents. If you cross him over just right, you can combo him afterwards. Try to get him in a place where you can do the same thing after (so jumpin punch, uppercut is a way that helps with every character).
    Shao Kahn's Spear Attack-Not really that good, just a projectile. Jump over and punish if you can.
    Shao Kahn's Hammer Throw-BE WARY OF THIS ATTACK. This is the attack that makes people scared of Shao Kahn. It's unblockable. it stuns and hits hard. If he wanted to, he could chuck another one after the first and it'd stun you again for infinite damage. But he's nice, so he doesn't. Make sure you're ready for it. Jump over it, and it'll leave you a big window for combos.
    Shao Kahn's Tyrannical Taunt-Just combo the motherfucker. He has a tendency to do this before he's about to die in the first round of arcade. Just kick his sorcerer ass.
    Shao Kahn's Fucking Hammer Smack Attack (X-Ray)-If he has X-Ray, he can do an unblockable attack that can do 52% damage. Basically, he hits this and you lose that round. It depends on distance as to what you should do, although teleporting is normally best. If he is close, dash in and duck. He should jump right over you. If further away, try jumping back or jumping forward and hitting him out of it-delay it a moment before the attack comes out or the armour that this attack gets will beat you. You can also rely on some X-Ray attacks to get you out of it, as well as some armour-breaking moves.

General Tactics:
    Do not run away. He will charge you down.
    Do not stay close. He will beat you down.
    The best place to stay is around a character space-an area where he will miss hammer attacks other than the hammer projectile, and you can punish stupidity, as well as dash in and duck for that troublesome X-Ray.
    Don't use projectiles other than to chip and finish that round or match. Shao Kahn's super armour Hammer Projectiles will destroy your ones like a giant humping a dwarf.
    Crossover on wake-up when you can and time it just right. It's the best way to do consistent damage.
    Don't be afraid. He's scary, but you must face him like a man.
    If you're Baraka, chances are you're already dead.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By weltal

Fireball fireball fireball fireball fireball

occasionally block when he throws his spear or jump over the hammer.

Bosses in fighting games... sigh.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @NorthSarge24 said:
    " @Lord_Yeti said:
    " Bicycle Kick spamming fucks him up pretty nicely. "
    This. "

Pretty much, and fireball spam also works.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By John1912
    @LackLuster said:
    " I am SO fucking pissed right now all I want to do is break things, I am at the point in the story right now where you first fight Shao Kahn with Liu Kang and seriously I cannot fucking do this the most i have managed to get his hp to his 1/2 and he just rips my fucking shit . I tried doing it on easy and it was exactly the same... SO WHATS THE STRATEGY FOR THIS BITCH? "
    I finally beat him last night.  I found that jumping behind him and attacking with front punch, then upper cut once you hit the ground worked really well.  Stand just out of arms reach as he gets up, and repeat.  You just have to make sure to wait a bit as he gets up.  If you jump in too early his hammer swing can still hit you.  Both hits do 5%, and are pretty much assured to hit.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NinjaHunter

I've posted this in another thread but here.
    Tips for Shao Kahn:   
    1) Stay away from him!!! If you try to go toe-to-toe with him you're just asking for a beating. He can't do very much if you stay at least half screen away.
    2) When he throws his spears duck but don't block. I've had some characters where the spears would fly right over me except when I blocked which means I took some chip damage. After you've avoided the spear just keep backing up.
    3) When he throws his hammer jump over it. It's unblockable and you can't duck under it. It travels slower then the spears and also has quite a bit of recovery so adjust accordingly.
    4) Once you jump over the hammer do any quick projectile or long range attack.
    5) Unless your character has an attackless teleport (ie. NOT Scorpion.) Then just teleport when you see him starting to throw the hammer. Once you do that you're free to do whatever the hell you want.
    6) He has two taunts. One is shorter than the other. The shorter one is when he points at you. Do a projectile or long range attack during this taunt. The longer taunt is when he has his hands on his hips. You have enough time to dash up to him three times and then uppercut ( or whatever else you want to do) from full screen.

This has worked pretty well for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
    deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ares42 said:
    " In normal story mode you can easily beat Shao Kahn with low fireball spam as Liu Kang. "
    This.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Dross said:
    " @Ares42 said:
    " In normal story mode you can easily beat Shao Kahn with low fireball spam as Liu Kang. "
    This. "
    I'm gonna try this next time, cause he is the only one in Story Mode so far that has proven to be a pain in the ass.
    nickernzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nickernzen

Yeah in story I just did the fireball over and over to beat him with Liu Kang. With Raiden I just waited until he started to attack and then teleported and sweep kicked him. Got the tips from here. Cheesy, but Shao Kahn can SMD so who cares.

eternal74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eternal74

the easiest way to defeat him with any character, especially those who can teleport etc is to continously back away from him and wait for him to run his mouth and gode you, this leaves you a few seconds to cause damage with raiden you can use down down up to teleport behind him and upper cut him then just keep moving backwards it is a gauranteed method cuz khan will taunt you for backing up if you have any other question on any games feel free to ask! and good luck!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spamming projectiles and jump-kicking him worked for all of my match-ups against him.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Yanngc33
    @dbz1995 said:
    " Alright then so:Shao Kahn's Charge Attack on the ground-just block or jump over it. You can't do much else.Shao Kahn's Anti-Air Charge Attack-If you're on the ground, you can punish him after he misses. Don't go for jump-ins or he'll use this attack, unless you're crossing-up.Shao Kahn's Overhead Hammer Smash-Block high, although he won't be doing this much, especially if you're crossing him up right.Shao Kahn's Hammer Swing-One of his scarier moves. Decimates jump ins and early and late cross-up attacks, and he combos after sometimes. It's also, however, going to get you a fair bit of damage. On wake-up, he does this attack to take out jumping opponents. If you cross him over just right, you can combo him afterwards. Try to get him in a place where you can do the same thing after (so jumpin punch, uppercut is a way that helps with every character).Shao Kahn's Spear Attack-Not really that good, just a projectile. Jump over and punish if you can.Shao Kahn's Hammer Throw-BE WARY OF THIS ATTACK. This is the attack that makes people scared of Shao Kahn. It's unblockable. it stuns and hits hard. If he wanted to, he could chuck another one after the first and it'd stun you again for infinite damage. But he's nice, so he doesn't. Make sure you're ready for it. Jump over it, and it'll leave you a big window for combos.Shao Kahn's Tyrannical Taunt-Just combo the motherfucker. He has a tendency to do this before he's about to die in the first round of arcade. Just kick his sorcerer ass.Shao Kahn's Fucking Hammer Smack Attack (X-Ray)-If he has X-Ray, he can do an unblockable attack that can do 52% damage. Basically, he hits this and you lose that round. It depends on distance as to what you should do, although teleporting is normally best. If he is close, dash in and duck. He should jump right over you. If further away, try jumping back or jumping forward and hitting him out of it-delay it a moment before the attack comes out or the armour that this attack gets will beat you. You can also rely on some X-Ray attacks to get you out of it, as well as some armour-breaking moves.General Tactics:Do not run away. He will charge you down.Do not stay close. He will beat you down.The best place to stay is around a character space-an area where he will miss hammer attacks other than the hammer projectile, and you can punish stupidity, as well as dash in and duck for that troublesome X-Ray.Don't use projectiles other than to chip and finish that round or match. Shao Kahn's super armour Hammer Projectiles will destroy your ones like a giant humping a dwarf.Crossover on wake-up when you can and time it just right. It's the best way to do consistent damage.Don't be afraid. He's scary, but you must face him like a man.If you're Baraka, chances are you're already dead. "
    Sir you are a godsend
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By fox01313

Look at the game settings, there is a story mode difficulty setting which might help as it's set to a medium/normal difficulty. In the arcade ladder you can just keep backing up until he taunts then teleport/jump to kick or uppercut. For the Story mode he tends to use the hammer more & it's rather infuriating though for Shao/Goro/Kintaro the quick jump to & kick to knock over then jump back to repeat while missing getting hit by them for tons of damage works. GLHB

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Sayishere

spam bicycle kick, thats what i did

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By CornishRocker

I just beat the final battle with Raiden on Medium difficulty. The technique I used is pretty simple:
    When Kahn begins an attack animation, teleport behind him (down + up on d-pad) and follow up with a front kick (--> A or <-- A)/(--> X or <-- X). This avoids the attack and allows you to hit him fast, mid-animation. Get him down to around 15-20% health and use the X-ray to finish him off.

Give or take a few miss timed teleports, I'd say it worked pretty well, especially against that unblockable hammer throw.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I just jumped over him and sweep kicked the entire match.

:|

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By JJGIANT

@LackLuster: I just quit every time I get up to him, just farm the first 9 fights forget about the last one. It is in no way fun or rewarding just tedious and mindbogglingly frustrating. The one major downside of the game.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tunaburn

wow you are really going to kill someone when you have to fight him again with rayden. that fight is 10 x's harder. the one with liu kang was easy.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chrissedoff

picking a jump-front punch combo and using it over and over again works on shao kahn and the other bosses. actually, it pretty much works on all a.i. controlled opponents on normal.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MeierTheRed

Ok i just tried the jump punch, triangle triangle electro shock thing, and its not working on Kahn in my game. No matter how many times i try it.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stonyman65

Just spam special attack until he is dead. And stay away from him.   

You think its bad now? Wait until the end of the game hehehehehee.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ares42

Hmm, so many people saying you wanna keep distance =o I actually find him way easier if I just stay in his face, blocking and punishing.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Stonyman65 said:
    " Just spam special attack until he is dead. And stay away from him.   

You think its bad now? Wait until the end of the game hehehehehee.
    "
    FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Really though, as soon as I remembered how I killed Kahn in MK2-3 it all became a total cinch.
    filmfanatic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By filmfanatic24

I got past the first fight in Story Mode just spamming fireball, it was pretty easy.

Now, the fight at the end was just making me want to break my TV.  I tried all the strategies on here and nothing was working for me.  

I finally just beat it and here was my magic formula.  Teleport, sweep the leg, teleport, sweep the leg, teleport, sweep the leg.  For a while I got in a rhythm and could do this over and over again.  Eventually the AI pulled out one of the bullshit blocks but it was too late.  Hit the X-Ray and won the round.  This was the first round I had even got him under HALF life.  
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By SSully

Try to beat that bitch with a non teleporting character, then you will have some REAL fun! If you can teleport it is easy as shit. Just teleport right after he throws a projectile then take him from behind. Rinse and repeat. He will be calling you bubba in the matter of minutes. 

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Kyreo

Back Forward X him to death!!!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MeierTheRed

Got him, did the distance trick. Dodge his spears, when he throws hammer, teleport behind him and uppercut. And then quickly retreat backwards. Also used some sweeps when he got very close, and a few of raidens torpedo attacks.

I'm just happy its over with now.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bingbangboom

Easy Mode!

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By eezo

couldn't be bothered reading what people said so far, anyway i had issues with him aswell, just stay far away from him and use teleports/charge/projectile moves whenever he taunts in fullscreen.. dont get close, then you die

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.