Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Mortal Kombat Cuts Down To The Bone

• 126 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

No Caption Provided
    NetherRealm Studios' Hector Sanchez describes the new Mortal Kombat as being devoted to "fan service." So in case you were wondering why the game's playing field has flattened to a 2D plane, it's because that's what the great, old MK games had. If you're wondering why the roster of playable characters doesn't yet show a character that debuted in anything past MK3, it's because that first trio of Mortal Kombat games are remembered as the best in the series. After toning things down to a T rating to accommodate the superheroes and villains of the DC Universe, Mortal Kombat is back to ripping out spines, cutting dudes in half, and uppercutting your foes into pits of huge spikes. In short, Mortal Kombat is back.

But this game, once known as Mortal Kombat 9, is hardly some kind of pure nostalgia play. All of the redesigned and remixed things that you recognize from the older games in the series are wrapped in a fighting system that manages to feel like the classic 2D entries in the series where it needs to while also adding things that weren't found in those early MK. The combination makes the 2011 release feel like a more modern fighting game, and more in line with what Capcom's been doing with Street Fighter IV. Along those lines, Mortal Kombat has an on-screen super meter with three different main abilities requiring its use. 

== TEASER ==

No Caption Provided
    The first is a pumped-up version of your special attacks, done by holding block while performing the standard move. This makes Johnny Cage throw two fireballs instead of one, increases the length of dash attacks, and so on. It'll cost you a third of your meter to perform.

The second is a combo breaker. It's performed by hitting forward and block while receiving an attack, and it'll bust you out of a combo immediately, whether you're being juggled or just parrying an incoming hit. It's useful, but since it costs you two-thirds of your meter to perform, it won't make you invincible.

A full meter lets you perform your X-Ray attack. These are Mortal Kombat's take on super arts or ultra combos, and are currently performed by hitting the block and the throw button (both of the right shoulder buttons) at the same time. These are situational and specific to each character. For example, Johnny Cage's X-Ray is a parry. Scorpion's teleports him near his opponent. Nightwolf's will connect after a short forward dash. The impacts are hard, as most of these lead into a brief animation showing the victim's skeleton getting rocked by the attacks. Right now, the attacks can be blocked, but it sounds like they're designed to be unblockable, and the designers are still tossing around a few different ideas about how this stuff might work in the final game.

No Caption Provided
    The roster in Mortal Kombat keeps with the fan service theme, and so far no characters from anything newer than Mortal Kombat 3 have been shown. The fighters maintain most of the moves they've had in previous games, including some that have never really been used on a purely 2D plane before. So Scorpion has the move where he makes fire rise up out of the ground right underneath his opponent, along with the spear, teleport, and leg trip moves he's had in the past. Sektor has his arm flamethrower available as a special move, along with the teleport punch, a straight-ahead rocket, and a rocket that falls from above. His homing rockets are still there, too, but they show up as the meter-draining EX versions of the rocket launches. Sub-Zero gets straight-ahead ice, ground ice, the slide, and his self-freeze move that counters incoming attacks with a quick ice sword to the face. Characters are also given more personality in win poses--Sub-Zero freezes the "lens" of the game camera and Scorpion quickly teleports himself back to Hell, giving you a fiery look at the place he calls home whenever he defeats the opposition. It's a cool addition.

Mortal Kombat is also a tag battle game, and when you're playing in two-on-two mode, the tag system works a lot like Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The character who isn't actively fighting can regain some of his or her health, and if you want to use some of your meter, you can make your partner run in for a quick assist attack. This sort of lets you add an extra special move to your roster, so if you're playing as Nightwolf, you can quickly call in Sub-Zero to freeze your opponent. The assist attacks seem like they'll make a potentially crazy combo system even deeper.

On top of all this, uppercuts matter, the game has turnaround kicks, and it generally feels a lot like the classic Mortal Kombat games, even though it breaks the buttons up by "front" and "back" instead of "high" and "low." It sounds like there's potential for some sort of MK-specific hardware down the line, too, as the game's more advanced moves, like tagging and throwing, can be done by hitting multiple buttons on the classic five-button MK setup, as well as via their dedicated shoulder buttons. It'll be interesting to see if that develops.

No Caption Provided
    All that, plus it has--right now, anyway--two fatalities per character. The finishers are over-the-top without (yet) reaching the extremes of making arcade machines fall out of the air or making Scorpion turn into a penguin or anything like that. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the wackier side of Mortal Kombat making its way into this new game. On one hand, nothing is more awesome than dropping an arcade machine on top of a guy. On the other, 2011's Mortal Kombat trades in pure carnage and extreme dismemberment, so something like a "friendship" or a "babality" would seem very out of place.

Mortal Kombat is due for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in Spring 2011. It sounds like the PS3 version of the game will receive some additional features, like the ability to run in 3D on supported televisions. While it only has eight characters in it right now, the content that's already in the game feels very sharp. It's a fighting system that feels like Mortal Kombat where it needs to while successfully mixing in concepts from other fighters to freshen things up. If everything else that's still in the works comes together, Mortal Kombat might just be the best game to bear the name since the franchise went polygonal.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

No Caption Provided
    NetherRealm Studios' Hector Sanchez describes the new Mortal Kombat as being devoted to "fan service." So in case you were wondering why the game's playing field has flattened to a 2D plane, it's because that's what the great, old MK games had. If you're wondering why the roster of playable characters doesn't yet show a character that debuted in anything past MK3, it's because that first trio of Mortal Kombat games are remembered as the best in the series. After toning things down to a T rating to accommodate the superheroes and villains of the DC Universe, Mortal Kombat is back to ripping out spines, cutting dudes in half, and uppercutting your foes into pits of huge spikes. In short, Mortal Kombat is back.

But this game, once known as Mortal Kombat 9, is hardly some kind of pure nostalgia play. All of the redesigned and remixed things that you recognize from the older games in the series are wrapped in a fighting system that manages to feel like the classic 2D entries in the series where it needs to while also adding things that weren't found in those early MK. The combination makes the 2011 release feel like a more modern fighting game, and more in line with what Capcom's been doing with Street Fighter IV. Along those lines, Mortal Kombat has an on-screen super meter with three different main abilities requiring its use. 

== TEASER ==

No Caption Provided
    The first is a pumped-up version of your special attacks, done by holding block while performing the standard move. This makes Johnny Cage throw two fireballs instead of one, increases the length of dash attacks, and so on. It'll cost you a third of your meter to perform.

The second is a combo breaker. It's performed by hitting forward and block while receiving an attack, and it'll bust you out of a combo immediately, whether you're being juggled or just parrying an incoming hit. It's useful, but since it costs you two-thirds of your meter to perform, it won't make you invincible.

A full meter lets you perform your X-Ray attack. These are Mortal Kombat's take on super arts or ultra combos, and are currently performed by hitting the block and the throw button (both of the right shoulder buttons) at the same time. These are situational and specific to each character. For example, Johnny Cage's X-Ray is a parry. Scorpion's teleports him near his opponent. Nightwolf's will connect after a short forward dash. The impacts are hard, as most of these lead into a brief animation showing the victim's skeleton getting rocked by the attacks. Right now, the attacks can be blocked, but it sounds like they're designed to be unblockable, and the designers are still tossing around a few different ideas about how this stuff might work in the final game.

No Caption Provided
    The roster in Mortal Kombat keeps with the fan service theme, and so far no characters from anything newer than Mortal Kombat 3 have been shown. The fighters maintain most of the moves they've had in previous games, including some that have never really been used on a purely 2D plane before. So Scorpion has the move where he makes fire rise up out of the ground right underneath his opponent, along with the spear, teleport, and leg trip moves he's had in the past. Sektor has his arm flamethrower available as a special move, along with the teleport punch, a straight-ahead rocket, and a rocket that falls from above. His homing rockets are still there, too, but they show up as the meter-draining EX versions of the rocket launches. Sub-Zero gets straight-ahead ice, ground ice, the slide, and his self-freeze move that counters incoming attacks with a quick ice sword to the face. Characters are also given more personality in win poses--Sub-Zero freezes the "lens" of the game camera and Scorpion quickly teleports himself back to Hell, giving you a fiery look at the place he calls home whenever he defeats the opposition. It's a cool addition.

Mortal Kombat is also a tag battle game, and when you're playing in two-on-two mode, the tag system works a lot like Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The character who isn't actively fighting can regain some of his or her health, and if you want to use some of your meter, you can make your partner run in for a quick assist attack. This sort of lets you add an extra special move to your roster, so if you're playing as Nightwolf, you can quickly call in Sub-Zero to freeze your opponent. The assist attacks seem like they'll make a potentially crazy combo system even deeper.

On top of all this, uppercuts matter, the game has turnaround kicks, and it generally feels a lot like the classic Mortal Kombat games, even though it breaks the buttons up by "front" and "back" instead of "high" and "low." It sounds like there's potential for some sort of MK-specific hardware down the line, too, as the game's more advanced moves, like tagging and throwing, can be done by hitting multiple buttons on the classic five-button MK setup, as well as via their dedicated shoulder buttons. It'll be interesting to see if that develops.

No Caption Provided
    All that, plus it has--right now, anyway--two fatalities per character. The finishers are over-the-top without (yet) reaching the extremes of making arcade machines fall out of the air or making Scorpion turn into a penguin or anything like that. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the wackier side of Mortal Kombat making its way into this new game. On one hand, nothing is more awesome than dropping an arcade machine on top of a guy. On the other, 2011's Mortal Kombat trades in pure carnage and extreme dismemberment, so something like a "friendship" or a "babality" would seem very out of place.

Mortal Kombat is due for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in Spring 2011. It sounds like the PS3 version of the game will receive some additional features, like the ability to run in 3D on supported televisions. While it only has eight characters in it right now, the content that's already in the game feels very sharp. It's a fighting system that feels like Mortal Kombat where it needs to while successfully mixing in concepts from other fighters to freshen things up. If everything else that's still in the works comes together, Mortal Kombat might just be the best game to bear the name since the franchise went polygonal.
    CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By CyleMoore

cool

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By VoshiNova

MORTAL KOMBAT!

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By ChernobylCow

Loving the return to form and Jeff's excitement.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By deathbyyeti

I want more gameplay!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By dbz1995

Cannot wait for this game. I wonder who else is gonna be in the 26 character roster.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Titl

As someone who is not into fighting games at all, i find my excitement for this game a bit misplaced.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dbz1995

Are we gonna get any footage of this game being played? If not, does anybody know where I can find some that isn't in a trailer?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper

This game looks great. I hope they pull a SFIV and reboot the series.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar

looks awesome, and 26 character slots is pretty nice for a MK game.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Who picked up the license after midway tanked?

Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Frostler

I can't wait for this game!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I wanna hear more about that DLC box in the Character Select screen.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By skrutop

It sounds like they're doing a revamped version of MK2, in terms of the overall feel of the game.  I'm down with that.  MK2 is my all-time favorite fighting game.

Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
    I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

GET OVER HERE

Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi

This is going to be so good, Day 1 buy for me.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loves me some Mortal Kombat!

Played through the decent 3d fighters just to get my fix!

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By warchief

1000 x YES! 

Prymet1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Prymet1me

count me in

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By 234r2we232

Nostalgia!

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By apoptosis61

hope they dont screw up with 2d too, gona kill em if they do

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VWGTI

On top of all this, uppercuts matter, the game has turnaround kicks, and it generally feels a lot like the classic Mortal Kombat games, even though it breaks the buttons up by "front" and "back" instead of "high" and "low." 

Yep. Sold!
    GUnitVer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#25  Edited By GUnitVer1

Spine Rips, The Pit, Decapitating Uppercuts... Yup that's Mortal Kombat... Still calling it for GB's game of show.

whoopassrambo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By whoopassrambo3
    Sub Zero WINS
    bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bretthancock
    @MiamiRedHawks said:
    " Who picked up the license after midway tanked? "
    I believe it was Warner Brothers.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ben_H

It's a requirement in EVERY MK related news post.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Sambambo
    @bretthancock said:
    " @MiamiRedHawks said:
    I believe it was Warner Brothers. "
    Didnt Warner buy Midway, or what was left anyway?
    Greenlight13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Greenlight13

It's Mortal Kombat, I'm sold no matter what. But please please please put Quan Chi in the game even if you don't include any other characters from after MK3. I know some people hate him, but dude is crazy well designed and fits in well with the mythos. He popped up in Shaolin Monks and vs DC Universe, both of which ignored later characters, so I'm hopeful. Plus I heard he's among Ed Boon's favourite characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ben_H said:
    " It's a requirement in EVERY MK related news post.

"
    Aw, yeah.
    slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slantedwindows

..........? MK lives?

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Damian

Looking wild, Jeff. Hope you showed Sanchez  what's what again in 2010.

@dbz1995
     said: 

" Are we gonna get any footage of this game being played? If not, does anybody know where I can find some that isn't in a trailer? "

This turned up on the forums recently. 

@SuperSambo said:
    " @bretthancock said:
    " @MiamiRedHawks said:
    I believe it was Warner Brothers. "
    Didnt Warner buy Midway, or what was left anyway? "
    Warner bought Midway Chicago, and Mortal Kombat for $49M. Pretty sure the entire team stayed on through that transition as well.
    killerkahuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By killerkahuna

Looks sweet
    me wants ! xD

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chronicsmoke

Its Mortal Kombat so Im already in but damn every time I hear about it it makes me want it more and more

MrGarcia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By MrGarcia

EXCELLENT!

sirchode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By sirchode

Yeah this looks legit

Goopynose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Goopynose

The graphics are looking god awful, but this still just may be the best MK since 3 Ultimate.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By s10129107

but friendship is never out of place... 
    :/

rybrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rybrad

Awesome!

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By fillmoejoe

I like the direction the reboot is taking but I still wish they include wackiness like babilties and animalities.

Triphos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Triphos

I'm just glad they got rid of weapons, honestly. Hated that so much.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Greenlight13 said:
    " It's Mortal Kombat, I'm sold no matter what. But please please please put Quan Chi in the game even if you don't include any other characters from after MK3. I know some people hate him, but dude is crazy well designed and fits in well with the mythos. He popped up in Shaolin Monks and vs DC Universe, both of which ignored later characters, so I'm hopeful. Plus I heard he's among Ed Boon's favourite characters. "
    Agreed!  I'm really not a fan of any of the characters post MK3 (and many of them in that one were questionable too) but Quan Chii is one of the all time best MK characters, even if he was introduced in one of the worst games.

Though technically he first appeared in that awful Sub-Zero game, before MK4 so perhaps they'll make an exception for him?

@fillmoejoe said:
    " I like the direction the reboot is taking but I still wish they include wackiness like babilties and animalities. "

Being picky now, but it's actually not a reboot.  It's a sequel to Armageddon  :)
    The story is a direct continuation, albeit involving time travel.
    anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By anypti

this looks pretty awesome!

MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By MostlyHeadless

I haven't played an MK game probably since MK2. Do they still do the whole everyone-has-the-same-fighting-style-except-special-moves thing that they did in the early games or do they mix it up a bit?

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Parabole

Rated Mature please. The Joker Fatality would've been cool.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By MeatSim

I bet Jeff could talk about Mortal Kombat all day.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pop

Nice read Im actually really really excited about this, I only thought mk vs dc was annoying cause of no blood or fatality but I thought the rest were good haven't played all of them but I thought they were mortal kombat enough except for the story :D.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MostlyHeadless:  No, each character has had a distinct fighting style for a while now.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#50  Edited By Jazz

Jeff's love for MK still baffles me, but hopefully it will live up to his expectations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.