Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Mortal Kombat - my theory on the exclusive characters

• 75 results
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " @LobsterCrunk: This is more of a conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Kratos and then Microsoft said "Fuck you". The guys mentioned Dead Space 2 on the Bombcast and how it got no promotional ads on the 360 dashboard. They do have trailers and avatar items for Dead Space 2, but MK doesn't even have a listing. I wonder if MS just decided to abandon it since they chose Sony over them. "
    The Kollectors edition comes with a Scorpion avatar costume and the king of the hill mode allows you to use them.
    I imagine other avatar items will be going up shortly.
    Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Burn1n9m4n
    @wickedsc3 said:

" Good I hope the 360 don't get a console exclusive character, as its dumb.  I hate all the cross game stuff like the mass effect dragon age armor and such.  It just breaks the fiction. "

Well its kinda hard to argue with Kratos as the God of War game franchise utilizes many of the tenets of MK. Albeit in a 3rd person hack and slash title.

@Lukeweizer said: 

@LobsterCrunk: This is more of a conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Kratos and then Microsoft said "Fuck you". The guys mentioned Dead Space 2 on the Bombcast and how it got no promotional ads on the 360 dashboard. They do have trailers and avatar items for Dead Space 2, but MK doesn't even have a listing. I wonder if MS just decided to abandon it since they chose Sony over them. "

This
    Rydemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Rydemption
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't think there will be one, but of all the possibilities I've considered, I still think Ryu Hayabusa would be the best fit. My fingers are crossed.

It couldn't be someone like Master Chief or Marcus Fenix. They rely too heavily on guns. Kameo? Not a chance.

Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Brad_360i

I think that even though Kratos has been deemed only a PS3 exclusive, it is possible that he could have appeared in the Xbox 360 version, just look at Solid Snake and Sonic in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, yeah its nothing like mortal kombat at all but it sitll means that just because games are made for a certain platform or by a certain company dosen't mean they can't necessarily make guest appearances in other games.

If I'm honest I think the Arbiter would fit in quite well if he used less guns and went more towards his energy sword, I think that'd fit in quite nicely!

But I've also heard that instead of an exclusive character from any other games that the 360 version is just getting Cyber Sub Zero, but who knows? the developers don't seem to wanna give anything away.
    I for one am buying it on the 360 just because it has such a better online system than the PS3 and it has the majority of my friends on that particular console.
    IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

@Brad_360i:  Kratos is licensed to Sony, so there is no way that is remotely possible of him appearing on a 360 game. Solid Snake is licensed to Konami and they are free to put him on any console they like.

Honestly I think Sony has been just courting these kind of exclusives for awhile.  Red Dead Redemption (gang hideout) and Batman: Arkham Asylum (Joker playable) both had the same kind of bonus content that came with the game (neither of each were made available on 360). While Microsoft courts time exclusivity as they have with Call of Duty Map Packs and Fallout expansions. It's one of the trends I am beginning to dislike along with pre-order bonuses. Though I must say it guaranteed I was getting the PS3 version of MK, so it works.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By XenoNick
    @TheGreatGuero said:

" I don't think there will be one, but of all the possibilities I've considered, I still think Ryu Hayabusa would be the best fit. My fingers are crossed.It couldn't be someone like Master Chief or Marcus Fenix. They rely too heavily on guns. Kameo? Not a chance. "

Ninja Gaiden isn't really exclusive to MS anymore. NG Sigma 1 and 2 are on PS3. As much as Ryu would kick ass. Wouldn't be that hard to switch him from a 3D plane to 2D.
    Personally I don't care that PS3 gets an exclusive character. How many people would only use Kratos online? It'd be a pain in the ass. Myself and a bunch of mates are gonna pick up the 360 version and play togther like every other week. Plus Achievments > Trophies.
    Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Burn1n9m4n
    @Brad_360i:  @Brad_360i said:

But I've also heard that instead of an exclusive character from any other games that the 360 version is just getting Cyber Sub Zero, but who knows? the developers don't seem to wanna give anything away.
    I for one am buying it on the 360 just because it has such a better online system than the PS3 and it has the majority of my friends on that particular console.
    "

I'm pretty sure that Cyber Sub-Zero is in the PS3 version of the game.

@XenoNick said:
    " Plus Achievments > Trophies. "
    They're valued the same regardless of the platform. So I think that your math is a bit wrong. That  '>' sign should be an '='.
    Rydemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Rydemption
    @IIGrayFoxII: 

Cyber subzero is both platforms. Is kind of important to the story line.
    IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By IIGrayFoxII
    @Rydemption: Thanks, but I never said he wasn't. Seeing how there is a trophy for unlocking him. This is obviously the case.
    Rydemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Rydemption
    @IIGrayFoxII:  oh my bad dude was suppose to go to brad
    chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#62  Edited By chronicsmoke

Im sure the 360 will get an exclusive I just dont think it will be a character though

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By IIGrayFoxII
    @chronicsmoke said:
    "Im sure the 360 will get an exclusive I just dont think it will be a character though "

Why are people so sure? It has happened before so why would this case be any different? Like I said before Red Dead Redemption (gang hideout) and Batman: Arkham Asylum (Joker playable) were the same type of situation and the 360 has never even gotten them, even after an extended period of time. I think Sony just put enough $$$ to get Kratos in the game (who fits perfectly anyways) and get the game in 3D.

I guess to sum it all up.. why is this a big deal anyways? Aside from that the games are 99 % identical. If you own only one console your decision is made. This only sways people who own both anyways.

P.S Only 6 days left....

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @IIGrayFoxII: Because developers and Ed Boon himself have said several times the 360 will be getting an exclusive.
    Considering they've left it so late now though, I'd assume it's either so insignificant that it's not worth mentioning or like the guy who originally leaked the roster said..  it'll be DLC in a few weeks.
    IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By IIGrayFoxII
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" @IIGrayFoxII: Because developers and Ed Boon himself have said several times the 360 will be getting an exclusive.
    Considering they've left it so late now though, I'd assume it's either so insignificant that it's not worth mentioning or like the guy who originally leaked the roster said..  it'll be DLC in a few weeks.
    "

Well since you couldnt provide a source I did some diggin and this is the article on G4TV:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711233/mortal-kombat-creator-drops-hints-about-exclusive-xbox-360-character/

Which I suppose these are the quotes that everyone thinks impies something:

"I don’t remember the last time we were this far along in a game and we had still major stuff to announce for it. So, not all the characters have been announced; on purpose we really wanted to have a lot of stuff that people won’t know about the game – to me, I’ve always wanted to have a question mark over the game; what’s hidden in the game; there’s a ton of hidden stuff in the game."

"Well, there’s nothing that we have ready to announce but we love our 360 players and we love our PS3 players and I think everybody’s gonna get something they’ll be happy with."

Which is extremely vague. He could just be implying the game itself and characters that are hidden in both games (which have since been leaked). Though isn't it in his best interest to tease something for 360?

3dguy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By 3dguy3

MK is a casual nostalgic purchase for gamers. That's why  MKvsDC sold over 2 million.

This game could sell around 3 million, if it reviews well.

They have done everything the fans have asked for, except fix their puppet-like animations.

ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By ghostchant

I have to say, I have not seen an exclusivity topic be so highly debated before this game. It's interested to see if this will have any affect on this practice going forward
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Brad_360i said:
    " I think that even though Kratos has been deemed only a PS3 exclusive, it is possible that he could have appeared in the Xbox 360 version"
    O_o

You do understand Sony owns the rights to Kratos, right?  Kratos isn't a third-party character...Sony owns that franchise 200%.  It's the same with Drake, Resistance guy, Ratchet, etc.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm so fucking tired of people bitching about an exclusive character for 360. Sony paid Netherrealm to put Kratos is and probably help advertise the game. If the character exclusive was Scorpion or an MK character than I could see why people would be pissed but it's not. People on 360 have never played God of War so they are not missing out and if you own all the consoles get it for PS3 or get it on 360 if your friends are on that console. Its cool that Kratos is in the PS3 version but it's not a game changer. I'm so tired of people harassing Ed Boon on his twitter because the MK demo isn't on 360 or that Kratos isn't on 360.

ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By ghostchant

Well, xbox owners being pissed that there is no demo yet is certainly understandable
    NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By NMC2008

I wonder which console will get exclusive shit for Batman Arkham City, if this is anything to go by then probably the PS3.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By Heartagram

I'm pissed about this...It just seems wierd they would kind of act like there is something for so long and then there really isn't anything or much of anything...if they had just said this months ago no one would give a shit any more. Since they are dragging it out then people will continue to talk about it. I think its valid to want something if they have hinted at saying there will be something.

captainanarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By captainanarchy

Not gonna lie.  I love mortal kombat, and I honestly dont want some stupid exclusive character like Kratos.  PS3 can have him, I like the GoW games but I'm  a purist and don't want a character.  If we are getting something, I would like a game mode, or a stage.  But to me it doesn't matter because if the game is as awesome as the demo is I can't wait.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " I'm so fucking tired of people bitching about an exclusive character for 360. Sony paid Netherrealm to put Kratos is and probably help advertise the game. If the character exclusive was Scorpion or an MK character than I could see why people would be pissed but it's not. People on 360 have never played God of War so they are not missing out and if you own all the consoles get it for PS3 or get it on 360 if your friends are on that console. Its cool that Kratos is in the PS3 version but it's not a game changer. I'm so tired of people harassing Ed Boon on his twitter because the MK demo isn't on 360 or that Kratos isn't on 360. "
    Ed Boon has no right to be complaining on Twitter.  He's constantly been suggesting there will be a 360 exclusive, has been teasing the fact for months and stated there would be a demo coming to the Xbox.  Now we're less than a week before release, is it any surprise people are becoming inpatient?  I'm a multi system owner and have been waiting before ordering the game to see what version I should go for..  Obviously an exclusive character is better than nothing but I'm not a fan of God of War and have no interest in playing as Kratos.

If the 360 isn't getting anything, why can't they just come out and say that?  Boon is now insisting it's not his place, which is fair enough but again, he's been taunting people with rumours and coy remarks for months.

I'm not going to go as far to suggest a boycott but exclusive content and pre-order DLC is really pissing me off.  He's definitely lost a sale from me.. At least at launch.  I might buy the game when it drops down to £20 and the issue of the pre-order codes and console specific content becomes more clear.
    Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Brad_360i
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Brad_360i said:
    " I think that even though Kratos has been deemed only a PS3 exclusive, it is possible that he could have appeared in the Xbox 360 version"
    O_oYou do understand Sony owns the rights to Kratos, right?  Kratos isn't a third-party character...Sony owns that franchise 200%.  It's the same with Drake, Resistance guy, Ratchet, etc. "
    Yeah thinking about it, it was kind of a stupid idea I doubt Sony will ever let go of any of their exclusives, they never have really have they.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.