Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Mortal Kombat's 'Unlocks' - Preorder question!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

So I'm wondering something, having looked at store specific bonuses for Mortal Kombat that allows you to unlock awesome retro costumes for a number of characters. But the wording as me wondering if they are totally separate downloads (as in you are required to put in a code on XBL or PSN to download the extra content) or if it's on the game disc and you simply put in a code to unlock the costume straight away within the game. The reason I ask, is that I'd hate it with a pure passion if the game didn't include those fantastic looking retro costumes for the specific characters, even if I need to unlock them over time. They have said that there were be content to unlock so that is my hope.  

But if those special retro costumes (and fatalities I should add) are only accessed through pre-ordering from sites or through separate paid DLC, well that would be a total bummer. Anyone got any info on how this works?   

Thanks. 

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

They haven't officially said anything about the classic costumes specifically, but the demo (in case you don't know, all of the text from the full game is in the demo's code, giving people the complete roster and costume lists) has reference to all of the classic costumes within it, which would hint that everything's on the disc already. In addition to that, today someone on Twitter asked Ed Boon if you would have to pay for alternate costumes with real money, and he responded by saying no, and that the costumes are in the Krypt. He didn't mention the classic costumes specifically though. Additionally, there's a fight in the Challenge Tower that has classic Scorpion fight classic Sub-Zero, so at the very least those two costumes are on the disc somewhere. The last piece of evidence though, and the one I think is the biggest, is actually in that commercial you linked. The classic Mileena that Scorpion is fighting is actually Wal-Mart's pre-order bonus. Now, if the costume was actually either exclusive to Wal-Mart or future DLC GameStop wouldn't put it in their commercial at all, nor would NetherRealm Studios. As such, I'm fairly confident that all of the pre-order bonus codes only unlock the costumes early, and that they're all accessible through normal gameplay.

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Parabole

All I'm really concerned about is the "Toasty/Whoopsy" Guy. Is he down loadable or is he already in the game? Not a fighting game expert to be excited about the game but that whoopsy is nostalgic!

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By soldierg654342

That video makes me even more ashamed of the fact that I preordered it than I already am (for the record, I only preordred it because I would not have bought it new otherwise). 

But to answer your question; all the evidence available to us seems to point to all the bonuses being early unlocks. So you (probably) won't have to pay extra for all the other costumes and fatalities, you just have to unlock them in the Krypt. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By animateria
    @Parabole said:
    " All I'm really concerned about is the "Toasty/Whoopsy" Guy. Is he down loadable or is he already in the game? Not a fighting game expert to be excited about the game but that whoopsy is nostalgic! "
    He's in the game. 

I got him do that thing a couple times while playing against the AI.
    warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By warchief
    @TrueEnglishGent: As I understand it all the pre-order costumes will be unlocked in the Krypt as well. The pre-order "bonus" is access to the costume on day 1. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

UK retailers definitely seem to be indicating that they're just early access codes. 
    However, the Ermac code that comes with the collectors edition does specifically say "exclusive costume".. and considering you're paying extra for the CE, I imagine it won't be unlockable in the Krypt. 

Though I would expect to see it as DLC further down the line.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Slaker117

From Ed Boon's twitter:

RT @ Cloak007 @ noobde Will we have to purchase alternate costumes SF4 style? =( PLEASE reply!.. Thanks Noobde: No, they are in the Krypt!

It's not a confirmation that it will be the retro costumes, but it seems very likely.
    freedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By freedo
    @Taku128: @Taku128 said:
    " They haven't officially said anything about the classic costumes specifically, but the demo (in case you don't know, all of the text from the full game is in the demo's code, giving people the complete roster and costume lists) has reference to all of the classic costumes within it, which would hint that everything's on the disc already. In addition to that, today someone on Twitter asked Ed Boon if you would have to pay for alternate costumes with real money, and he responded by saying no, and that the costumes are in the Krypt. He didn't mention the classic costumes specifically though. Additionally, there's a fight in the Challenge Tower that has classic Scorpion fight classic Sub-Zero, so at the very least those two costumes are on the disc somewhere. The last piece of evidence though, and the one I think is the biggest, is actually in that commercial you linked. The classic Mileena that Scorpion is fighting is actually Wal-Mart's pre-order bonus. Now, if the costume was actually either exclusive to Wal-Mart or future DLC GameStop wouldn't put it in their commercial at all, nor would NetherRealm Studios. As such, I'm fairly confident that all of the pre-order bonus codes only unlock the costumes early, and that they're all accessible through normal gameplay. "
    Where would one find all the info that people have dug out of the demo? Is it on neogaf or somewhere else?
    Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Shakezula84

I'm glad to here the "it's a krypt unlock" scenario being the most likely situation with the preorder unlocks. I'm kinda locked into getting it at GameStop but I'd much rather have classic subzero then scorpion (I played subzero back in the MK1 days and I've mastered him in all but one MK game).

And let's not forget that you get a third fatality with these alternate outfits. It's not just a skin change.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.