Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

The scrub leage was fantastic

• 81 results
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, I really enjoyed it.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

It was pretty awesome. Alexis must've practiced or played a lot of MK in the past. I was surprised Will got to where he was and Vinny was eliminated early, as well as Alex being knocked off as well. Good job Alexis. By the way, Jeff is still the best. LOL. 

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By zaccheus

Since I watched SC2 for the first time on GB I have been watching it like someone watches football or hockey. This had the same feel to me. I was totally on the edge of my seat on the tighter matches. The production values were also excellent. More MK and more stuff like this in general, please.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By DeeGee

Jeff struggled to beat Alexis, so I hardly think it was fair that he was in the scrub league. Still enjoyable, but knowing almost immediately who was going to win was a bit of a downer.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By craigbo180
    @HandsomeDead: He was clearly the best but he still nearly lost in his match to Ryan if Ryan had played more defensively with his huge life lead in the final round he would have won. I think with his win he should graduate the scrub league if they were to ever do it again.

I personally thought it was one of the most entertaining things GB has done and all the match ups were really close so if they could find someone to replace Alexis it would be super interesting. I think there should be a second invitational where the winner plays Alexis for title of scrub champion at the end of it.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By zero_

It was really, really awesome. I wish they would archive all of their Justin.tv videos onto their site...

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57  Edited By WalkerTR77

It was amazing, but the rounds should have been longer than 2 for a bit more drama. Corey and Alexis weren't really scrubs, especially since Alexis TOOK A ROUND AGAINST JEFF. The overanalysis by Ryan was hilarious, and that was the best green screen I've ever seen. I would definitely be up for seeing another invitational.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Sayishere

this was amazing, grats for alexis, i had a feeling ryan would win it, he played surprisingly well with scorpion

its good that jeff beat alexis at the end though, alexis getting abit to cocky :D
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By swoxx

It was really great tbh, One of the best things they've done. Good atmosphere with the music. I was standing up screaming during vinnys and Wills fights

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By bingbangboom

I really enjoyed watching it too. Not very big into watching people play fighting games but for some reason mediocre people playing fighting games I found entertaining. Keep up the good work! I would love to see a bigger bracket with a site vs. site thing. Like Comic Vine vs. Giant Bomb vs. Tested vs. Screened, etc.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By zaccheus

I don't think Alexis was too much better than the rest. The final match was very close and him taking a round off Jeff isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. I think his success had a lot to do with Smoke. Like Jeff has said countless times Some is very tricky and if you don't know how to deal with him (and most of the other scrubs clearly didn't) you are in a lot of trouble. I mean there was a ton of Scorpion ownage too because people just took spears from full screen which, like Jeff said, just shouldn't happen, ever. So yeah Alex won and was the best, like someone always is in a competition, but I think him playing as a scrub was totally fair.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff losing the first round vs Alexis was great, priceless reaction.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ares42

To me it was the faux sports commentary that just made the whole thing magical :P

klaptos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By klaptos
    @walterbennet said:
    " It was extremely entertaining. Some of those rounds were seriously intense. And some were just plain hilariously bad. Me and a friend watched them together and applauded some of the victories. Was sad to see Vinny go early on... Where was Brad? "
    Have you seen Brad play MK? He aint no scub!
    zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By zaccheus
    @Klaptos said:
    " @walterbennet said:
    " It was extremely entertaining. Some of those rounds were seriously intense. And some were just plain hilariously bad. Me and a friend watched them together and applauded some of the victories. Was sad to see Vinny go early on... Where was Brad? "
    Have you seen Brad play MK? He aint no scub! "
    And I think he was at a wedding in Mexico. At least that's what Dave said on his epic radio show.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By RobotHamster

I loved it, everything was great.  And the way everyone handled the sites being down was great, and thats why I love Whiskey Media.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By oddface

It was surprisingly enjoyable. Really funny and pretty damn intense in some spots. Great stuff.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By the_hiro_abides

There was a surprising amount of drama and intensity. Great fun to watch! I hope they do more in the future!

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By RoyCampbell

It was extremely fun to watch.

My favorite parts were the excitable shouting in the background during a match, especially when the battle got heated or took a huge turn in the other direction. So fun!

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By pweidman

It was great fun agreed.  Found myself vocally cheering, and rooting for the regs, like Vinny, Ryan, and Will.  So proud of Ryan, having to mc, and still be able to find his focus and moment, and win his first match, and nearly his second. Glad Jeff took care of the intern at the end but it wasn't easy,lol.  They definitely could do that more often, and I bet they will make it happen.
    PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PizzaSauce

Absolutely loved it. Cheering on Ryan to win with Scorpion! Great fun, definately needs to be made into a regular thing

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By ThePickle

Alexis really ruined the whole thing. No way was he a scrub.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By Animasta
    @pweidman said:
    " It was great fun agreed.  Found myself vocally cheering, and rooting for the regs, like Vinny, Ryan, and Will.  So proud of Ryan, having to mc, and still be able to find his focus and moment, and win his first match, and nearly his second. Glad Jeff took care of the intern at the end but it wasn't easy,lol.  They definitely could do that more often, and I bet they will make it happen. "
    two things: ryan won his first two matches, and alexis isn't an intern but a web designer
    alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By alexisg

I think @Zaccheus analysis pretty much sums it all up. The only reason Ryan didn't beat me was because he missed his xray in the 3rd round. I had not played an MK game since Genesis (I was a pretty big Killer Instinct and SFII fan in the arcades though) when I bought MK 9 on tuesday. It really is awesome and I think the scrub league shows how accessible the game is. I would say I got lucky with Jeff. He has absolutely murdered (like Angela Lansbury Murder She Wrote Murdered) me this past week the few times I played him. He is really good. I am kind of glad/upset I didn't play Coonce since he also beat me in the one previous match we had. I think we all had fun doing the tourney and helped burn some steam on a tough week. Glad you all watched and I hope we do it again soon. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the replay today, and yeah, that was so fun to watch.  They should do that often.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By applet0n

Loved it to bits, would love it if there was something similar along those lines sometime in the future.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Bestostero

Admittedly, I don't think Alexis was scrubby, but to be fair, a hand full of them seemed to be pretty on par with him as well.

It was awesome either way and looking forward to more!

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Kodo_Beast

One of my favorite features on GB this year, if not my favorite. If there weren't a dozen games coming out this year that I need to buy + computer upgrades to look into, this would've gotten me into playing MK.

Can't wait for the second season of Scrub League.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Maclintok

This was really quite awesome.  What does it say when I'm willing to watch a bunch of guys who run a website play MK together for over an hour?

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Kodo_Beast said:
    " One of my favorite features on GB this year, if not my favorite. If there weren't a dozen games coming out this year that I need to buy + computer upgrades to look into, this would've gotten me into playing MK. Can't wait for the second season of Scrub League. "
    Indeed. To be honest I had at first thought that when it first came out TNT would have been more like this (especially with the commentary). I was kind of disappointed, but psyched that eventually the scrub league was spawned from this plus outage. It would be awesome to see this regularly, like once a month.
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By zyn

It was great.  Was cheering for Ryan to win.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.