Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Xbox & SFIV stick or PS3 & Kratos?

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay, so after just playing the demo, I've decided I'm going to get Mortal Kombat.  But I can't decide which platform I want to get it on.  Is the Kratos exclusive for PS3 going to be worth not being able to use my Xbox sticks?  Or would it even matter?

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MistaSparkle

Playing MK on sticks seems...weird. 

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrGetBonus

I never really thought of MK as a game that benefited from having an arcade stick on the same level as most other fighters so I'm going for the Kratos.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iDarktread
    @SkullcrusherMountain:  
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, I'm having the same problem, and I'm not dishing out money for a new stick either. 

I'm leaning towards the PS3 version at the moment, I just wish they'd say if the Xbox is getting anything or not.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Mezmero

In some alternate reality I might have gone for the 360 version.  Although I'm comfortable with a simple FightPad it was not at all functional for the MK vs DCU game so I'm concerned it will be equally useless for the new one.  Going with PS3 because the 360 d-pad is garbage and I don't make enough money to invest in a noisy arcade stick.

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tomte

dude, a strong spartan warrior vs. a stick...

Avatar image for scottydoentknow
    Scottydoentknow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Scottydoentknow

Im having the same problem. I have a friend at home who is going 360 and a kid down the hall in my dorm who is going ps3 both of whom i would like to play with. Yet i have an arcade stick for the 360 but nothing for ps3. In the beginning, i was leaning toward the ps3 but i think in the end im going for 360 cuz the online support is better and im alright playing with a controller against the kid down the hall.  

Summary: Going with 360 cuz i have a fight stick and online will prob be more in sync plus 360 will get something extra, might not be kratos but, it will be something good i have faith. 

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Terry_Bogard

Do you even like Kratos? If you answered no, go with the 360 version. 

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd
    @iDarktread: I played with one of those at PAX its awkward as hell
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By audiosnag

I'd wait to see if they annouce a character for thr 360.
    But me personally I'd always go stick over a character. Unless you reeeeeally like Kratos.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Kratos looks amazing, but it's up to your choice in controller really...

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Dreamfall31

I've always thought that the arcade sticks were only popular by those who only played the fighting games at the arcades.  SInce they remember playing like that it's easy for them.  A console only player would probably find it tough to use the stick, although I'm sure over time it'd work.  I guess it just depends which works better for you.

Iron_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Iron_Past
    @Rufi91: Unless I missed something, they've shown absolutely zero gameplay footage of Kratos, including the bit in the demo video (which is from GoW 3). While I have no doubt he'll be cool, it's a litlle early to say he looks amazing. 

As for the OP, I really doubt Kratos (or any potential X360 exclusive) will be more than a passing curiosity for most players. If you enjoy playing on a stick (as I do), I'd say go that route since enjoying the gameplay is more important than having an extra character; personally, playing the demo I've found the d-pad and buttons on the PS3 controller too squishy for my taste (in this game). Or wherever you have more friends.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

As I've said before... Kratos will just be an afterthought. When you get the game you'll probably want to go right in and see what Kratos is like, then realize after seeing all his fatalities that he's not as focused as the actual Mortal Kombat characters. That's what every  bonus character is like. Who seriously used Yoda or Darth Vader in Soul Calibur 4? They were cool to see what their moves were but that's about it. It was just a dumb promotional thing.

That said... I didn't even know MK is played with a stick. 

It would be the same if they added Marcus Fenix or something to the 360 version. Although I heard a rumour that it's actually supposed to be a new game mode or something.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    " Okay, so after just playing the demo, I've decided I'm going to get Mortal Kombat.  But I can't decide which platform I want to get it on.  Is the Kratos exclusive for PS3 going to be worth not being able to use my Xbox sticks?  Or would it even matter? "
    You can mod your stick with a Toodles Cthulu PCB or Akishop PS360 so it can work on both consoles.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Gabriel
    @xyzygy said:
    " As I've said before... Kratos will just be an afterthought. When you get the game you'll probably want to go right in and see what Kratos is like, then realize after seeing all his fatalities that he's not as focused as the actual Mortal Kombat characters. That's what every  bonus character is like. Who seriously used Yoda or Darth Vader in Soul Calibur 4? They were cool to see what their moves were but that's about it. It was just a dumb promotional thing. That said... I didn't even know MK is played with a stick.  It would be the same if they added Marcus Fenix or something to the 360 version. Although I heard a rumour that it's actually supposed to be a new game mode or something. "
    Kratos will probably play like a reverse Scorpion I'm sure he'll turn out to be the best bonus fighting game character. 
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Nasar7
    @Gabriel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " As I've said before... Kratos will just be an afterthought. When you get the game you'll probably want to go right in and see what Kratos is like, then realize after seeing all his fatalities that he's not as focused as the actual Mortal Kombat characters. That's what every  bonus character is like. Who seriously used Yoda or Darth Vader in Soul Calibur 4? They were cool to see what their moves were but that's about it. It was just a dumb promotional thing. That said... I didn't even know MK is played with a stick.  It would be the same if they added Marcus Fenix or something to the 360 version. Although I heard a rumour that it's actually supposed to be a new game mode or something. "
    Kratos will probably play like a reverse Scorpion I'm sure he'll turn out to be the best bonus fighting game character.  "
    From the interview it sounded like Kratos might even be OP.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By AURON570
    @iDarktread said:
    " @SkullcrusherMountain:  
    No Caption Provided
    "
    so how exactly do the buttons work in MK? Sorry I haven't played a MK game since 2, and I was something like 5 years old and just mashed buttons.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy
    @Gabriel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Kratos will probably play like a reverse Scorpion I'm sure he'll turn out to be the best bonus fighting game character.  "
    That's what some people said about Yoda and Darth Vader. Also, if you're going to rank ANY bonus fighting game character, Link would have to be at the top.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iDarktread
    @AURON570: I have no idea how it works; I'll admit I've never played a Mortal Kombat game.
    unexpressedram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unexpressedram
    @Mezmero said:
    "

In some alternate reality I might have gone for the 360 version.  Although I'm comfortable with a simple FightPad it was not at all functional for the MK vs DCU game so I'm concerned it will be equally useless for the new one.  Going with PS3 because the 360 d-pad is garbage and I don't make enough money to invest in a noisy arcade stick.

" 

Yeah, but that game was just horrible all around. The movement controls and combo systems have been amplified to a more suitable and understandle level. It's supposed to be more like the classic games for SNES, so maybe a stick could be helpful, Who knows, I'm not gettin the stick. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RE_Player1

Get the PS3 version. I have a stick for my PS3 but after playing the demo I realize I have to use a gamepad and having Kratos as an extra character should be fun. 

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @Iron_Past:  Hmm it is based more of expectation I guess but more to the point the interviews where Boon discusses him having all his weapons is such an amazing promise. However, no ps3 :C
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By TechHits
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FoxMulder said:
    " I've always thought that the arcade sticks were only popular by those who only played the fighting games at the arcades.  SInce they remember playing like that it's easy for them.  A console only player would probably find it tough to use the stick, although I'm sure over time it'd work.  I guess it just depends which works better for you. "
    Well, I'm 29 so I used to play all the old MK & SF games on sticks.  I bought the 360 stick for SSFIV, and it's made a night and day difference.  But that game is also more dependent on circles rather than single directional inputs strung together.  Also, has any Kratos gameplay video been released yet?  I haven't seen any, but I also haven't really looked either.
    hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By hansolol

I played the demo and I don't have a stick for ps3.  I can't stand not having all the buttons splayed out underneath my hand.  Having to hit shoulder buttons to block really sucks.  I've been giving a lot of thought to how I'm going to set up the buttons on the stick and I think I'm going to go with the following set up:

BP  FP  Block
    BK  FK  Tag

Punches on top, kicks on bottom like street fighter. 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By RobotHamster

You could always get sticks for the PS3 version, but you can't get Kratos for the 360 version.

EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilGreenDevil

I'm an oldschool snob and grew up with arcades. There's no question that I'm gonna get the TE for 360. I just can't play fighting games on a pad as well as I can on a stick. Who needs Kratos in an MK game anyways?

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nettacki

Let's see....I already have a PS3 fightstick, and I don't have a 360...so I'd go for the PS3 version w/ Kratos. 

Obviously, YMMV

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Slaker117
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    " @FoxMulder said:
    " I've always thought that the arcade sticks were only popular by those who only played the fighting games at the arcades.  SInce they remember playing like that it's easy for them.  A console only player would probably find it tough to use the stick, although I'm sure over time it'd work.  I guess it just depends which works better for you. "
    Well, I'm 29 so I used to play all the old MK & SF games on sticks.  I bought the 360 stick for SSFIV, and it's made a night and day difference.  But that game is also more dependent on circles rather than single directional inputs strung together.  Also, has any Kratos gameplay video been released yet?  I haven't seen any, but I also haven't really looked either. "
    No Kratos gameplay yet, but Boon has been hyping him on twitter. Says we'll see more soon. I'd say wait till then to make your decision.
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slaker117 said:
    " @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    " @FoxMulder said:
    Well, I'm 29 so I used to play all the old MK & SF games on sticks.  I bought the 360 stick for SSFIV, and it's made a night and day difference.  But that game is also more dependent on circles rather than single directional inputs strung together.  Also, has any Kratos gameplay video been released yet?  I haven't seen any, but I also haven't really looked either. "
    No Kratos gameplay yet, but Boon has been hyping him on twitter. Says we'll see more soon. I'd say wait till then to make your decision. "
    Yeah, probably going to wait until a day or two before it comes out, once the 360 exclusive and Kratos gameplay are revealed.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Pibo47

Im getting it on the PS3 purely because of Kratos. I bought a PS3 so i could play god of war 3 and infamous, so i will take any chance i get to kill dudes as a badass spartan guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.