Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mount & Blade: Warband

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 30, 2010

Warband is a stand-alone expansion for Mount and Blade. It serves an improved and expanded re-release of the original Mount and Blade, a medieval open world RPG by Taleworlds.

The Multiplayer in this game is fantastic!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I think this game has been overlooked as a potential game for TNT, also, Warband was shown quite poorly in it's quick look awhile back, so I thought i'd point out how amazing this game really is and hopefully help set the record straight.

This game has the best multiplayer i've ever experienced, the game is worth buying for it alone, the fighting feels so damn good once you get a feel for it and there is nothing quite like raiding a castle with 63 other people. This game makes melee combat fun, not awkward like most other RPG type games. What makes the combat so different from everything else is you can control every part of your swing , the angle, the speed, what you follow it up with, your not stuck watching some animation play out, you aren't just mashing buttons, and your not forced to memorize combos. There's a tremendous amount of skill involved in the game.

In terms of feel, Warband reminds me of Call of Duty 2, what made that game so great was that the shooting felt amazing, the weapons had weight, you wanted to keep fighting because everything was so responsive. Warband has similar mechanics, it makes the gameplay fun by itself, makes itself approachable to anyone willing to give it a shot, but also doesn't let you cheese your way to victory.

You really should try out the multiplayer in this game, you won't regret it. I know you don't believe me, but seriously, its fantastic, i swear to you, all your negative preconceptions are false. Its the most fun i've had playing a multiplayer game in a long time. (the Singleplayer is cool too) I've heard it referred to as "medieval Counterstrike", but I think its even more fun than that.

Look at that Javelin in that mans chest, this game is great! (Graphics are turned way down, so ignore that.)
    Look at that Javelin in that mans chest, this game is great! (Graphics are turned way down, so ignore that.)
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dylabaloo

I wish more games mimicked the Mount and Blade controls.

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SamSharp505

It is awesome, but I always get owned by guys jumping around who swing halberds faster than my shortsword :P 
    It is massively underrated though, I agree. :) Posted some screens of it in the PC screen thread earlier. :D

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikemcn

@Dylabaloo said:

I wish more games mimicked the Mount and Blade controls.

Agreed, the mechanics are great, but the devs are a very small team that doesn't have much time for polish.

@SamSharp505 said:

It is awesome, but I always get owned by guys jumping around who swing halberds faster than my shortsword :P It is massively underrated though, I agree. :) Posted some screens of it in the PC screen thread earlier. :D

If you have a shortsword, you gotta block and close the distance duder! Once you learn to block you'll love the game even more, you can have sword duels to your hearts content. I usually use a two hander with no shield and just tear it up, Aragorn Style.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

Fuck yeah it is! Wait, you're not playing cRPG are you? Some folks like it, but I found it to be more 'everyone has an xbow and also heavy armor and hide behind that while swinging your great sword like a madman.'

Native is better. :P

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikemcn

@TheHT said:

Fuck yeah it is! Wait, you're not playing cRPG are you? Some folks like it, but I found it to be more 'everyone has an xbow and also heavy armor and hide behind that while swinging your great sword like a madman.' Native is better. :P

I'm not playing cRPG, its a good mod, but I play Native

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SamSharp505
    @Mikemcn:  
    I knowww...I play against my friends in a more fun manner than online...online people are very strict about when they swing and stuff, too much movement :P 
    I would close the distance and block but when they're swinging it side to side and block-cancelling really fast it's just too hard, haha. I prefer all out running at each other swinging :P 
    I think everything should be slowed down a lot...make it feel heavier. I'm moany though :)
    octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By octaslash

This would make for a perfect TNT. I'd love to stick my whole inventory of javelin spears inside Whiskey Media's castle.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

If I didn't have so much to catch up on I would be on this in a heartbeat. I've heard so many great things about it and playing it with a bunch of bombers would be a blast I'm sure.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CheapPoison

Ye, it's a cool game worth checking out if you are into things like this. 

I do think this could benefit greatly from just another layer of polish or making some of the menus more integrated into the game. 

So ye, TNt. 
    half the fun is trying out weird stuff half of the time.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

So wait, people are still playing this game? That's awesome. So much potential, and yet with all it's flaws, still very underrated. The people of Giantbomb demand a TNT for this game! Not that I'll be able to watch it :(

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikemcn

@Octaslash said:

This would make for a perfect TNT. I'd love to stick my whole inventory of javelin spears inside Whiskey Media's castle.

Something about your comment has me thinking of M&B pickup lines...

@SamSharp505 said:

@Mikemcn: I knowww...I play against my friends in a more fun manner than online...online people are very strict about when they swing and stuff, too much movement :P I would close the distance and block but when they're swinging it side to side and block-cancelling really fast it's just too hard, haha. I prefer all out running at each other swinging :P I think everything should be slowed down a lot...make it feel heavier. I'm moany though :)

Just ditch the shield for awhile, you'll learn how to block and your footwork will be better, theres always going to be wicked good players who will outperform you alot of the time, but with a bit of practice you can at least get to a point where you can meet them head on and give them a real fight. Sometimes I just have moments where I think i'm going to be overwhelmed, but with my last bit of life and some quick thinking, am able to cut my way through a whole group of dudes, you'll surprise yourself.

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

So wait, people are still playing this game? That's awesome. So much potential, and yet with all it's flaws, still very underrated. The people of Giantbomb demand a TNT for this game! Not that I'll be able to watch it :(

Theres a solid community online, The singleplayer has alot of flaws, but i've never experienced any real problems with the multiplayer. And you can always watch the Justin.TV archive.

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
    MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

Have you tried any mulitplayer mods such as Mount&Musket and Vikingr?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@Mikemcn said:

Funny thing is this is how the game looks turned all the way up too. So don't worry too much about it.

That said, I think I'll reinstall this game. The multiplayer is indeed a clusterfuck of janky ass awesomness. Fuck if it doesn't feel good when you ride up on some dude's ass and spear his head with your lance.

Oh yeah, and scare away the kiddies for a funky TNT starring Dave and some whiskey.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game, so underrated.
    I still play it lots.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

Haven't done any multiplayer gaming for a while, so I should start playing it again. With the last update, I got screwed out of a couple singleplayer achievements (cannot have joined a female reclaimant's cause before the patch to get the Girl Power one) which turned me off to the whole game. But I would absolutely help fill up the servers if they would just fucking do a TNT with it already.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love it, so much fun.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Green_Incarnate

From what I recall, when me and a buddy tried to do multiplayer, there was no server search feature. We couldn't even join each other's servers.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikemcn

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Mikemcn said:

Funny thing is this is how the game looks turned all the way up too. So don't worry too much about it.

That said, I think I'll reinstall this game. The multiplayer is indeed a clusterfuck of janky ass awesomness. Fuck if it doesn't feel good when you ride up on some dude's ass and spear his head with your lance.

Oh yeah, and scare away the kiddies for a funky TNT starring Dave and some whiskey.

The screenshot is using DirectX 7, the game looks much better in DX 9, And its really no more janky than Call of Duty. But yea, it is alot of fun.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@Mikemcn: The jankiness is mostly from me not able to control the game well. I'm the dude that runs around swinging an axe in a wild manner and can't figure out why no one will die.

This is also a game where graphic quality really has no meaning. So, however many direct x's you have it's a wonderfully wonderful game. I will admit it is much shinier at higher settings though.

Also, JAVELIN IN STANDING MAN!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikemcn

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Mikemcn: The jankiness is mostly from me not able to control the game well. I'm the dude that runs around swinging an axe in a wild manner and can't figure out why no one will die.

This is also a game where graphic quality really has no meaning. So, however many direct x's you have it's a wonderfully wonderful game. I will admit it is much shinier at higher settings though.

Also, JAVELIN IN STANDING MAN!

Warband should win awards for it's emergent Javelin wound mechanics. Stuff sticks out of other stuff better in this game than anything I've ever seen.

And I played a bunch of multiplayer Warband today, had some great fun fighting off cavalry charges with a two handed sword, separating heads from necks and riders from horses. I really want to see a TNT of this, and I think the GB community (Even if they're just watching) would enjoy a TNT of this.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A lot of people have already asked for a TNT for this game ( Myself included) , Jeff said we were crazy and well pretty much said no to the suggestion lol 

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ekajarmstro

This game is amazing but I haven't played it in a long time. Warband TNT would be awesome.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikemcn

@Resident4t said:

A lot of people have already asked for a TNT for this game ( Myself included) , Jeff said we were crazy and well pretty much said no to the suggestion lol

Thats what I heard too, but Jeff is wrong, if Dave hadn't done such a bummer job of showing off the game I think he'd be more supportive of it. I'm kinda getting tired of Street Fighter, TF2 and XBLA TNTs... seriously, i've seen more Street Fighter played on TNTs than I would ever want to see in my life, how about we dare to dream a little and try something wholly original.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.